MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 27-03-15, 12:05
Geoff Truscott

Default Canadian WS27

Any info out there on the Canadian Wireless Set No.27, appears to be an early type walkie talkie?

Geoff
Old 27-03-15, 17:41
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

The WS27 was developed in 1943 by Donald Hings. He was the same person that developed the WS58. They were made by Rogers-Majestic in Toronto.

It was the Canadian answer to the WS38. It was government policy to procure Canadian made equipment as much as possible. The First Canadian Army ordered 6000 units in 1943 with the first 3000 to be delivered in two drafts.

Like the WS58, Hings developed the set around a unique battery and lack of supply of said battery caused it's demize. With a field life span of 12 hours of use the DND estimated a need for 36,000 batteries per month. This wasn't available. In July 1944 the Canadian Army Overseas cancelled the order. It's estimated that about 900-1000 units were made but the highest s/n I've seen is in the 500 range.

There was a last ditch attempt by UK Combined Operations to purchase 600 sets but the order was declined.

The cost of each unit was $70. The only service parts were spare tubes and coils. If anything else failed the set was to be destroyed.

I still have one (I think that photo is my set) and have done a fair bit of research on it (along with all the other Canadian sets).

Bruce
Old 28-03-15, 00:19
GM Fox I

It may have been a replacement for the 38 set but in form and even parts it was patterned after the American SCR-536 'Walkie-Talkie'.

Mine is serial 400.
Attached Thumbnails
No.27.jpg  
Old 28-03-15, 10:01
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

I don't think it was patterned after the SCR536. There are more differences than similarities. The SCR536 (BC611) is a xtal controlled radio in the frequency range of 3.5 - 6Mcs. The receiver portion is superheterodyne.

The WS27 covers the range of 21 - 39 Mcs and has variable tuning for certain channels. It employs a regenerative receiver. It is not self contained like the BC611 as the battery pack is separate. It also uses headphones rather than an integrated speaker/mic.

I've seen the prototype and Hing's notes on the design.There is no reference to any other radio. Was he influenced by the Handie-Talkie? Possibly but the only similarity is the push-to-talk switch and the extending of the aerial to turn the radio on.

A memo dated 29 Jun 44 from Brig. Genet, Chief Signal Officer, Canadian First Army, with reference to the WS27 states that "They will replace the 38 sets, which is in poor repute throughtout the British Army".

I had a look at my notes and the highest s/n found so far is 902. My own s/n is 404, probably made a few hours after yours!

Last edited by Bruce MacMillan; 28-03-15 at 10:46. Reason: update info
Old 01-04-15, 17:58

Mine is dated 1943 with SN 911. Missing the coil set and case, and the foam rubber ear covers have started to liquify and self destruct. Came with a battery still in the case and the canvas satchel with instruction card.

Some where in my files I have a copy of a British Army Trials Report for the set, which actually spoke very highly of it's performance.

David
Old 01-04-15, 19:53
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Hi David,

I would be interested in seeing the trial results. This must be the MK II version (the one that was manufactured). Originally the 4 trial sets were hand built laboratory models. They had issues resulting in the MK II versions. It was felt that if the battery issue can be resolved the sets could still be deployed in the Pacific after being tropicalized.

Not to happen.
Attached Thumbnails
WS27D.jpg