MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 27-09-18, 02:28

Default Bombardment Spotting Disc Mk 2 & Line Spotting Conversion Disc

I think I may have posted on these items many years ago, with no identification results showing up at the time and the post may be in the inactive archives now.

While recently searching the web for WW2 Naval wireless equipment, I stumbled onto the site for HMS Belfast, now a museum ship moored on the Thames in London. Spent some time taking a virtual tour and was stunned to find a photograph of this disc set sitting in one of the displays on board the ship. some cross referencing turned up a couple of other photographs of this equipment. also on World War Two British naval vessels.

What was of further interest was that none of the cases shown of these British made Disc Sets had brass ID tags on the top of the lids.Seems that, perhaps, the brass ID Tags may have been unique to Canadian made disc sets by B.M.Co. in Ontario during the war.

My thought now is that B.M.Co. production may have been in large part, or entirely, intended to supply the RCN.

In either event, I am pleased that after a friend picked the set up for me at a Brandon, Manitoba Gun Show nearly 30 years ago, I now finally know what exactly they were used for and by what branch of the Armed Forces. Just wondering now, how large a ship had to be to have one of these sets assigned to it. My guess would be that any serious ability for serious shore bombardment would be at the Frigate level and up.

David
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0400.jpg   IMG_0401.jpg   IMG_0403.jpg