MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 24-12-04, 06:48

Default Importing from US to Canada

I recently bought a distributor for my M37 from a fellow in the US. He shipped it via UPS with a customs value of $50. When it arrived UPS charged a brokerage fee of $28.55. THe cost of the distributor climbed significantly as a result.
What are others doing when importing from the US? IS\s Canada Post or are other couriers any better? It took a lot of searching on the UPS website after I paid the invoice, but I finally found their brokerage fees. They werent apparent when I arranged to have it shipped UPS.
I generally prefer to buy at home but occasionally have to deal outside the country.
I'd appreciate any comment or better ways of doing it.
Thanks
Randy
Old 24-12-04, 14:47
T-16, C15A

Default UPS Strikes Again

Randy,

I guess everybody has to get stung once - you should be thankful it was only the few pennies that they got from you.

I would suggest to all that you need to be careful - but as you point out, the print is pretty small when you go looking for the fee structure. The ones that you really have to watch are the overanxious eBayers who boast that all goods get sent courier. Its a good way to pay $30 brokerage fees on a $5 item!

I have had really good luck with the USPS and Canada Post. For a very reasonable fee they get the stuff to the front door without any fuss or extra fees. Out here in the woods they even bring it to the door when the burden of going to the office haunts me.

Stewart
Old 24-12-04, 18:45
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default re ups

Hi Randy. As Stewart said, "stung once", makes alternatives attractive. I believe UPS stands for "U Pay Supreme". I got burned once so now I insist on the US postal service. If the value is low even Canada Customs doesn't charge anything.

I also have used a holding service in Blaine that provides me with a US shipping address (good for those sellers that only ship to the lower 48) and notification on arrival.

Bruce
Old 24-12-04, 18:54
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Concur on postal service back & forth across the border. Rarely any hassles, and rarely even any customs charges, but even if so, they're cheaper than brokerage fees.