MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 01-08-16, 15:10
Terry Warner

Like Stuart said, good thing you got it plated and on the road.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 01-08-16, 21:35
WO8 C15A 142736

Well done Bob, great to see you on the road.
Old 20-08-16, 23:28
Mr. HUP

Default One Step Closer

The 1945 HUP is now registered, insured and plated as a Historical Vehicle. This put more onus on me to get it on the road before the snow flies. While Bob and Grant were bivouacking at Kingston today, I rolled the HUP out for a quick primer paint job. This was done to prepare for the lusterless olive green paint that I will be shooting on next week - after fixing some bondo issues that the primer revealed.

The before shots:
Attached Thumbnails
B p front.jpg   B pax side.jpg   B q rear.jpg   B side dvr.jpg  
Old 20-08-16, 23:29
Mr. HUP

Default And The After Shots

Now in grey primer:
Attached Thumbnails
G dvr q front.jpg   G pax side.jpg   G q rear.jpg   G rear.jpg  
Old 20-08-16, 23:31
Mr. HUP

Default And Now For Something Different

Not that it would have happened with this particular vehicle, but here it is under new management:
Attached Thumbnails
UNM.jpg  
Old 21-08-16, 21:22

Excellent work Rob. Terrific to see that you guys at the barn managed to get two CMP's registered and back on the road over the past few weeks!
Well done Hammond crew!

Have you decided on markings yet?

Alex
Old 21-08-16, 21:35
Mr. HUP

Default Markings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
...Have you decided on markings yet?
Alex
Alex, Since this late model HUP never left Canada, and never went into service with any army (although it was part of a Brit Service Order), I think I will just leave it green as seen in the attached photo. Gotta be different!
Attached Thumbnails
Hup Delivery.jpg  
Old 28-08-16, 20:04
Mr. HUP

Default Incredibly Good Lookin Hulk

Saturday morning's weather was perfect to shoot some green paint. After setting up the truck, paint supplies and equipment, Bob and Grant joined me in putting my Metal Mistress in a new dress of green.

After a brief lesson on paint gun control, Bob tended to the mixing of the paint with Grant providing a hand. It sure made things go fast when you have someone reloading for you. My thanks to the boys for taking the time to help out with this task.

While the first coat went on well, there were some areas that will need a second coat at a later date. Overall, I was happy with the result, and now the HUP looks like a "real" CMP!

Photos:
1 - The paint support crew hard at it
2 - Looking good
3 - Shady side
4 - Sunny side
5 - Bringing up the rear
Attached Thumbnails
Ptrs.jpg   F Hulk.jpg   P Side.jpg   D Side.jpg   R Hulk.jpg  

Old 28-08-16, 20:06

Nice to see it finally getting back to its original glory!

Well done!

David
Old 29-08-16, 00:59

very nice. Good to see the results from good team work.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 29-08-16, 01:21

Default Heavy Metal Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Saturday morning's weather was perfect to shoot some green paint. After setting up the truck, paint supplies and equipment, Bob and Grant joined me in putting my Metal Mistress in a new dress of green.

After a brief lesson on paint gun control, Bob tended to the mixing of the paint with Grant providing a hand. It sure made things go fast when you have someone reloading for you. My thanks to the boys for taking the time to help out with this task.

While the first coat went on well, there were some areas that will need a second coat at a later date. Overall, I was happy with the result, and now the HUP looks like a "real" CMP!
Rob,

The Heavy Metal Mistress is looking good. Great looking paint job. The tolerance for WWII painting seems better than the Cold War painting specification, which seems to call for overspray on the tires, steel rims, lights and all the rubber gaskets on the windshield.

So it looks like Bob and Rob will be on the road in Merrickville for Canada Day 2017. Lots of pressure for the other Ottawa Rotters (and our good friends in Montreal/Kingston) to get their rides finished, plated and on the road for the 150th anniversary of the Canadian Beaver Colony.....

Cheers!
Stuart
Old 29-08-16, 02:35

Default Rhc

With regards to markings for this series of HUP, if memory serves correctly, the only thing that ever got applied to them by Chevrolet was the Bridging ID on the front and the round 'Canada' decal centred on each front door, just below the window sill. Not sure what size that decal was but would guess it was in the 5 inch diameter range.

Not a very fancy frock, but the party was pretty much over by the time these lovely girls stepped outside.

David
Old 25-10-16, 06:35
Mr. HUP

Default Import Export

The Hammond Barn is well known for its goings on, but today, we got into the import/export business in a big way. Parties from la Belle province (Quebec) and Manitoba met on neutral ground in Hammond.

Bob the diplomat brokered a deal between the two parties that left both quite satisfied. To be specific, a western jeep was off loaded and headed east, and an eastern 25 pounder was loaded and then headed west.

We had the pleasure of the company of Martin and his father from Quebec, who met with Rob Love for a bit of SMP business. As mentioned, Rob dragged a Jeep from the Army of the West to Hammond to meet its new owner - Martin is a military chap from a famed Franco Regiment (that has the word "Royal" in its official title).

Rob was on a whorl-wind tour of Ontario, wheeling and dealing green items to various and sundry collectors and enthusiasts. I posted this late so that he could avoid the border patrols here in Eastern Ontario. By now, he should be well hidden in northwest Ontario making way for the Manitoba border.

It was quite interesting loading the 25 pounder, which sported blown out tires with remnants of concrete onto Rob's trailer (which now has two winches but none mounted...).

Unfortunately, we couldn't convince Rob to join us for a lunch break as his mission-oriented nature could not be swayed. We wish him good luck on the way home. By the way, Rob, thanks for bringing the first snow of the season!

Pics
1 - Martin, his father and some of the Hammond crew
2 - A group shot with Rob Love
3 - Treasure loaded for a trip east
Attached Thumbnails
Martin 1.jpg   Group.jpg   rclrfl.jpg  

Last edited by RHClarke; 25-10-16 at 14:20.
Old 25-10-16, 13:38
Terry Warner

Default The Western M38A1 CDN3

I have seen other photos of this vehicle, and can only exclaim that the new owner is "a lucky bastard"! We are a small community when I know almost all the players.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 26-10-16, 05:04
carrier mech

Terry

I don't know if you have seen this one. It was hiding under a tarp at my favorite scrapyard for the last 30 years since it was surplussed. It was a recoiless rifle jeep with one of the Winnipeg militia units. Nineteen thousand original miles, and the channels underneath are all perfect. Unfortunately, it appears one of the batteries cracked and leaked onto the floor, and ate a 1"x5" hole. Fenders have the usual dings, but all the recoiless rifle bracketry is there. Other than aging, the vehicle is essentially the same as when it left service.
Old 26-10-16, 05:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
...Unfortunately, it appears one of the batteries cracked and leaked onto the floor, and ate a 1"x5" hole.
Did the battery tray drain hose not do its job?
Old 26-10-16, 15:57
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Terry

I don't know if you have seen this one. It was hiding under a tarp at my favorite scrapyard for the last 30 years since it was surplussed. It was a recoiless rifle jeep with one of the Winnipeg militia units. Nineteen thousand original miles, and the channels underneath are all perfect. Unfortunately, it appears one of the batteries cracked and leaked onto the floor, and ate a 1"x5" hole. Fenders have the usual dings, but all the recoiless rifle bracketry is there. Other than aging, the vehicle is essentially the same as when it left service.
Flat steel should be the least of a restorer's worries. Having all the unique fittings and bobbles makes it valuable. I've been corresponding with the new owner. As well, I know a Reserve unit that has a 106mm. If it isn't for sale, at least it will be a perfect "play date" for photos.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 27-10-16, 19:13

Hey guys,

Just found the post!! I was looking for it but was unable to determine where it was located on MLU. Now, it is done!

Yes, I'm the new owner of a real diamond. Now, I need to control myself and figure out where I will start. The Jeep is not so close of me, so I have plenty of time planning the next step. I also have plenty of time spending my money on other things...

Knowing myself, I'm already searching for the missing parts. I'll need a spare rim and two front shackle eye tow hook clevises (Not even sure of the name in English... again, I'm learning a whole new vocabulary right now!). Where should I buy bolts and nuts to install all the brackets and things that need to be fixed? One mirror is cracked, so I'll need a new one.

I also need the manuals. I need to be in contact with Bob Carriere. I thought it would have been easy to find the guys of the Hammond Barn but I'm still searching!

Thanks again for you generosity of sharing your knowledge and I will never thank Rob enough to have brought this Jeep to me!!!

Have a good one,
Old 27-10-16, 20:38
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default jeep

Congrats on your new purchase. I was lucky to see it even before you did!
I would suggest getting the manuals, reading them and then examining your jeep to comprehend what the manuals are showing you.

I would start first by making it safe- brakes, lines, tires, suspension and steering. Don't forget to have a look at the electrical system, an often overlooked part of many projects that is one of the most important.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 27-10-16, 21:13

Default Salut Martin

Bienvenue to MLU.....

Click on my name and send me a PM (personal message) and will give you my tel number and home email address,

NIce to see a new MLU member and nice to meet your Dad.

Cheers

Bob C
Canada
Old 25-12-16, 21:32
Mr. HUP

Default Seasons Greetings and Merry Christmas!

This year has been somewhat laid back at the barn. That being said, there were a lot of successful projects put underway or nearing completion - hopefully, we will be better at taking photos in the New Year.

If you are in the Ottawa area for whatever reason, make an effort to visit us at the barn - we are always looking to make new acquaintances and to swap war stories relating to the hobby.

From all of us (including the cats, rats, bats, racoons, skunks, chipmunks, squirrels, coyotes, turkeys, and various other bird species), all the best to you and yours this holiday season.

There should be some tire tracks in the snow on New Year's Day this year! Stay tuned!
Attached Thumbnails
xmas barn.jpg  
Old 08-01-17, 02:14

Time had slowly passed since my first visit to the Hammond Barn. Once of the coolest visit I made and lost of great people were there.

The only thing I can say is the engine finally started this week-end maybe for the first time 1998-ish…

Parts are slowly removed to be restored. Jump seats will be cushioned once again and probably for all and the carb will soon take a bath of carb cleaner!!

Hope to see the Hammond Barn group again…

Have a good one!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7445.JPG   IMG_7448.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 08-01-17, 14:34

Default Looking forward to first post "2017 at the Hammond Barn"

Hi Guys

Did I miss it? Have you started the very interesting series of progress and activity reports at the Hammond Barn?

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 08-01-17, 18:22

Default Not Yet.....

.....but will do this week......

A stitch in time saves nine.......

Cheers from freezing Hammond............

.....was -25 C this morning so passed on the barn to day to wokr inside with the wife.....earning house miles...

Bob C
Canada