MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 03-05-04, 06:13

Default Any advice for first time driving of carrier

Hi eveyone

Hopefully in 2 weeks time I will have picked up my carrier.

An uncle of mine has gotten a tractor trailer with a float to go and pick up the carrier. Its a bit more of a truck then needed but so far it is free. So I won't argue with that.

Anyway, Im asking for any tips and advice for a first time drive of the carrier. Basiclly we have to get it out of my friends back yard and onto the float trailer on the street. I need the advice because my friend is most likely to be at work and so wont be there to drive it himself onto the float.

Im sure you guys can offer help and I can assure you it will be most appreciated.

Sincerly
Jordan Baker
Old 03-05-04, 12:09
T-16, C15A

Default Keep In Mind

Jordan,

Good luck with your Carrier move.

Keep in mind that the steering wheel does not do anything until you are moving. Get the engine good and warmed up so you can let the clutch out slowly until the machine starts to move. Only then will that big wheel have any effect.

When the wheel is cranked hard to either side it will lock the rear brake on that side. This will require the use of much gas to the flathead to get any result. Then, when it starts to move, it will swing quite quickly around. Keep curious onlookers well away for this reason.

As is has not had many miles on it - try to drive it in a staright line, back and forth a few times. There will be much rust on the tracks, so getting them freed up should be a priority. Have a guide help you so you don't run anybody over. That cannot be stressed enough. You won't be able to see like when you are in a car, and the engines roar will preclude effective verbal communication with your spotter.

Please see the story about Bruce Parkers Carrier falling ( slipping really ) off the flat deck of his float. The fine pitched steel track are very slippery on hard surfaces.

Try to get some some pix for us. Or give me a PM and I will see if I can come down to help you out.

Good luck.

Stewart
Old 04-05-04, 01:32

Default thanks Stuart

HI Stuart

I just wanted to say thanks for the tips. I will keep all of this in mind when we go to get it.

Sincerely
Jordan Baker
Old 04-05-04, 02:16
T-16, C15A

Default No you won't!

Jordan,

You will be so excited that you won't remember much of this advice. Try to take a few deep breaths first, and make sure you have a good idea of where others are - so you don't run them over.

The first time my Carrier came to live and moved on its own I was so excited that I backed out of the garage without unplugging the battery charger that was keeping the battery up.

Good luck.

Stewart

PS - the charger power cord was repaired, and soldiers on keeping my little bulldozer ready for action.
Old 04-05-04, 10:45

Default Loading

I've never driven one, but I'd guess you'll have kittens trying to get it up ramps onto a truck, especially if you are unsure of it.

Take ten minutes and try to find somewhere you can put the truck down low and get the ramps reasonably flat - I'd think that would be time well spent. If it stalls on the ramp just let it roll back off - dont try to restart up the ramp.

Loading any armoured thing with lousy visibility is an art in itself, especially since they are always tricky and need full throttle to get moving at all. Don't damage it, or yourself, or anyone else.
Old 05-05-04, 01:07

I have noticed ,when loading mine, that it is much more civilized to back up steep ramps than to try to drive on front first. If at all possible i would try to load off of a curb or other area where the ramps are flat as previously mentioned. But i think you will find if you are using steel ramps that it will spin the tracks less in reverse. Also as previously mentioned watch out for people and other cars as it is very exciting with the roar of the engine and the fact that you cannot see, it easy to bump into things(from experience). Good Luck.
Old 05-05-04, 03:07
GM Fox I

Default Or maybe...

rp-21:

With all due respect, I LIKE nose first. There you are, pressed back in your seat as the old girl has her nose pointing 45 degrees skyward. Then, just as you're getting a nice view of the sky, flump, the nose drops and your guide (who has mistakenly thought you could actually see him and respond to his directions) shifts back into view.

Of course, as Stew was so kind to point out, this may lead to some "( slipping really ) off the flat deck of his float"

Thank you Stew, for that reminder of my Carrier driving skill.
Old 05-05-04, 05:49
In Vino Veritas

Default Winch loading

Nothing wrong with loading with a winch, safe slow, easy.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 05-05-04, 18:53
British Indian Army

Default Winse at the winch!

The only time you should winch your carrier onboard is when it canny gaing up itserl. You have to be brave, a wee bit mad, like the views of the sky, love the thump back down, enjoy the look on the commanders face but above all have complete trust in his guiding and lining up skills!! It is somewhat worrying though when you lose sight of the person who is supposed to be guiding you up. I smile sometimes when I can't see him and wonder how he may be waving if I just tweaked the carrier over a bit!! Either that or rev and charge up the last foot or so slapping down just in front of him as he makes his exit over the front of my trailer!!
Besides at the end of a show, or under a hail of bullets, or in the desert sun all I want to do is drive on, shackle down and get away!!

Boy it is fun having a carrier, nothing like it!

Nigel

1941 UC MKI*
1942 Daimler Dingo MkII
(seeing as everyone else is doing it!!!)
Old 05-05-04, 23:57
Graeme Jamieson

Default Equipment required

I worked for many years at C.S.I.R.O with a gentleman who drove carriers just after the war at our army training area Puckapunyal.
When I told him of my interest in things green including carriers he just laughed and told me that the first piece of equipment they always drew from the armoury was a pistol if they were going to drive a carrier.
Old 10-05-04, 20:22

The best way to load is front first You can always let the carrier roll back to a clear area when unloading.
My first drive in my carrier I went 10 feet and blew the coupling for the rear end /tranny mount ( make sure the coupling is secure),The second drive 2 months later I had a great time driving up and down my driveway untill I backed up to park and stopped to check how close to my truck i was ,and found out I was about 2 1/2 half inches to close ,requiring me to buy a new bumper. Its the only time ive smiled at destroying somthing that cost$ 200 to repair .The Power of the first Carrier Drive.
Jeff
Ps a ground guide is a good idea when backing.
Old 21-05-04, 17:06

Default Thanks for the suggestions

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the suggestions about the first time driving. Unfourtunately we couldn;t get the thing to start. So we ended up dragging it back onto the float with our tractor. The good sign was that the tracks we all freed up because it rolled behind the tractor really well. When we got back to the farm and pulled it off the float with the other tractor is rolled about 20 feet under the power of gravity. Eveything whent "clankty clank" and it was great to see the suspention go up and down as it came down the ramps.

Ive now begun working on the engine to get it running with a mechanic friend. You can read about my engine problems in the "restoration forum"

So thanks again for all of the tips and I will use them all when we get it fired up.

Sincerely
Jordan Baker