MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 26-10-12, 15:30
RIP

Default National Military History Center to auction WWII vehicles

E-mail that I received this morning;

Quote:
Auctions America http://www.auctionsamerica.com is teaming up with the National Military History Center in Auburn, Indiana, to auction more than 80 military vehicles used during WWII and more than 100 historic military artifacts on Saturday, Dec. 8, at the center.

The goal is to help the center keep its doors open by paying off its mortgage by Dec. 31, 2012. We’d love to spread the word as each item will be offered to the highest bidder without a reserve. Those who are not in attendance can still bid online or by phone.

This is an incredible opportunity for people to walk away with timeless, historic military pieces. This is also the most full and half tracks ever offered for sale in one auction.

Let me know if it’s something of interest to your publication! Interviews and high-res images are available.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 26-10-12 at 16:16. Reason: formatting, please use the QUOTE button
Old 26-10-12, 16:13
carrier mech

I was looking at the auction pieces last night, and after reviewing the few Canadian pieces, I would hope that anyone thinking of bidding will invest in a plane ticket, as opposed to bidding online. There seem to be a few anomalies on some of the vehicles. Even so, it is still one of the more impressive collections that has been offered for sale on this side of the pond in a while.

This mk1 carrier seems to be missing more than a few rivets, and also seems to have acquired some mk2 traits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM12_r1043_01.jpg (53.4 KB, 126 views)
Old 26-10-12, 16:33
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I was looking at the auction pieces last night, and after reviewing the few Canadian pieces, I would hope that anyone thinking of bidding will invest in a plane ticket, as opposed to bidding online. There seem to be a few anomalies on some of the vehicles. Even so, it is still one of the more impressive collections that has been offered for sale on this side of the pond in a while.
While it is a vast collection, with a number of unique pieces, I'd say "buyer beware". I noticed when it was still at the Victory Musem at Arlon, Belgium, that a lot of the "restorations" are very crude & inaccurate. Some vehicles were bought restored and are better, though many of them seem to not have seen any service since they were put in the museum in Belgium. I even spotted a vehicle which still has the mud splattering from what must have been it's last outing at a show in the UK decades ago...

Here's the link to the catalogue: http://auctionsamerica.com/events/al...?SaleCode=MM12

H.
Old 28-10-12, 11:44

Quote:
While it is a vast collection, with a number of unique pieces, I'd say "buyer beware". I noticed when it was still at the Victory Musem at Arlon, Belgium, that a lot of the "restorations" are very crude & inaccurate. Some vehicles were bought restored and are better, though many of them seem to not have seen any service since they were put in the museum in Belgium. I even spotted a vehicle which still has the mud splattering from what must have been it's last outing at a show in the UK decades ago...
I agree with you on this Hanno, but I have to say that it's very sad that this collection is slowly falling apart. The badly done rebuilds were mostly German vehicles.
For potential buyers; some of the vehicle rebuilds were described in old issus of the French MV magazine, Ve-Mil, or Vehicules militaires.

Commonwealth wise, there are some interesting vehicles for sale, like the Morris PU 8x4, Windsor carrier, Loyd carrier, Standard Tilly........anyone spot the F60B anywhere in the auction (it was far from complete if I rememer correctly)?

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 28-10-12 at 11:56.
Old 28-10-12, 15:27
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
I agree with you on this Hanno, but I have to say that it's very sad that this collection is slowly falling apart. The badly done rebuilds were mostly German vehicles.
For potential buyers; some of the vehicle rebuilds were described in old issus of the French MV magazine, Ve-Mil, or Vehicules militaires.
Ineed the collection was made up by buying restored, running vehicles (although I doubt they were ever serviced, as some seem to not even have been washed before being put in the museum...).
Other vehicles were acquired as wrecks and restored or used for reconstructions - note the Maultier truck with British Universal Carrier tracks, and compare it with a real Maultier with German tracks (yes, the Maultier tracks system was patterned on the British Light Tank system, but not copied).

Quote:
Commonwealth wise, there are some interesting vehicles for sale, like the Morris PU 8x4, Windsor carrier, Loyd carrier, Standard Tilly........anyone spot the F60B anywhere in the auction (it was far from complete if I rememer correctly)?
I have not seen the F60B listed for auction, it was acquired as a chassis/cab (from a timber yard in Belgium, IIRC), and fitted with a crude gun platform and Bofors gun when restored by the Victory Museum. A couple of pictures of the F60B - as well as further information on this collection - can be found elsewhere on this forum here and here.

H.
Old 29-10-12, 02:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
While it is a vast collection, with a number of unique pieces, I'd say "buyer beware". I noticed when it was still at the Victory Musem at Arlon, Belgium, that a lot of the "restorations" are very crude & inaccurate. Some vehicles were bought restored and are better, though many of them seem to not have seen any service since they were put in the museum in Belgium.

Here's the link to the catalogue: http://auctionsamerica.com/events/al...?SaleCode=MM12
My sources say the same thing.
Old 30-10-12, 02:29
MLU Administrator

Reply from the auctioneers to a question of a fellow HMV club member:

Quote:
Thank you fort the inquiry on the Military vehicles we will be offering for sale on December 8th 2012. The majority of these vehicles we purchased from Victory Memorial Museum in Messancy Belgium and transported to Auburn Indiana between October 2001 to January 2002. The vehicles are museum display vehicles only, and have been sitting for at least 10 years. Many appear fairly complete but some are, or may be, missing major components such as engines, transmissions along with other parts. At minimum, a full mechanical service or complete rebuild would be required to make them operable if desired.
Auctions America by RM strongly recommends pre – inspecting the vehicles prior to their purchase.

Please bid accordingly and let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Old 02-11-12, 11:51
aut viam inveniam aut fac

I had a very brief look at the C60 offered..and noticed even just quickly several details that are incorrect, steering wheel, petrol carrier, no tool box, mirrors (ford) door knob, rear splash guards...
Old 13-11-12, 10:59
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
E-mail that I received this morning;
Quote:
The goal is to help the center keep its doors open by paying off its mortgage by Dec. 31, 2012.
This is endorsed by information on the Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums.

H.
Old 27-11-12, 20:15

Default Mil Vehs at Auction

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/event...?SaleCode=MM12

regards
Darrell
Old 27-11-12, 21:54
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Zinck View Post
Darrell,

I moved your post to this related thread.

Hanno
Old 28-11-12, 00:33

Hi Hanno

Thanks for that. I hadn't seen Clive's earlier post.

Hmmm.................we've this Severance Package $$ available............

regards
Darrell
Old 28-11-12, 02:56
Shop Dog

Id love to get my hands on that 12 ton prime mover...that trailer would come in handy
Old 09-12-12, 04:53
carrier mech

Better make sure you are sitting down before opening this link: http://www.auctionsamerica.com/event...ouping=&page=1

Ebay has nothing over these guys.