MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 27-07-08, 00:38
carrier mech

Default WTB: 5/4 ton unstucker wheel nuts

I'm fixing up one of the old 1976 Chevy 5/4 ton trucks to use as a towing vehicle for my trailer/bren carrier. I almost have the truck finished (I just had to replace the cargo box, complete brake job, pack all wheel bearings, replace the windshield, replace the tires, rebuild the front diff, rebuild the transmission, replace rear shocks, replace the drivers floor boards, and about 100 minor jobs) but one thing I am missing is the extra long wheel nuts that go on the rear wheels to hold the unstucker adapter plates. If anyone has access to 8 of these from a junker, let me know and we can work out a deal.
Old 30-07-08, 08:11
Dave Good

Hey Rob, get a hold of sung in Edmonton as with a lot of his iltis purchaces I seen some of the adapters for the truck and he might have some of the wheel nuts. PH his cell at 780-991-5393.
Old 30-07-08, 14:46
carrier mech

The adapters for the Iltis and the 5/4 ton were not the same, although the cables drums themselves were.

I have his email somewhere in my inbox I think....I'll shoot him a message and see.
Thanks for the tip.

Rob
Old 31-07-08, 17:30
Dave Good

I know they are not the same as the iltis but in his lot of stuff he had some of the adapters and nuts to fit the 5/4 and the early jeeps.
Old 31-07-08, 19:55
carrier mech

Dave
He does indeed have them, but at this time is only offering them as part of complete kits. I have several of the other pieces (adapet plates, drums) , so as such, the price is a bit too high for me.

If anyone else sees some of the extra long wheel nuts available, let me know.
Old 01-08-08, 01:19
Dave Good

Sorry to hear that he would not sell the wheel nut extentions seperate but I will look into another person I know that might have them.
Old 02-08-08, 13:13
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I'm fixing up one of the old 1976 Chevy 5/4 ton trucks to use as a towing vehicle for my trailer/bren carrier. I almost have the truck finished (I just had to replace the cargo box, complete brake job, pack all wheel bearings, replace the windshield, replace the tires, rebuild the front diff, rebuild the transmission, replace rear shocks, replace the drivers floor boards, and about 100 minor jobs) but one thing I am missing is the extra long wheel nuts that go on the rear wheels to hold the unstucker adapter plates. If anyone has access to 8 of these from a junker, let me know and we can work out a deal.
Rob: If you ever, by chance, run across my old 5/4 CFR 29264, it has the extention bolts as well as the adapter plates installed. We were never issued the complete unstucker kit. There was a Deviation Record on the vehicle throughout its life.
Old 02-08-08, 16:58
carrier mech

Worse than having them on deviation record was actually getting issued the damn things. They came in a sandbag cloth bag, and always seemed to be rolling around the truck.

Speaking from a mechanic's perspective, ,many of us removed the plates and special bolts when we were removing the rear drums, and simply installed the normal wheel nuts. Saved us from dragging more than one socket for the impact to the job. Whether we threw them into the back of the truck or into the garbage can (the scrap metal bin was too far a walk for a few pounds of metal) was the mechanic's prerogative.

The original intent was to have a certain portion of the 5/4 tons issued or retrofitted with electric winches, but the choice of the puny Dana 44 for the front axle made any further addition of weight on the front impossible.

I got the truck through her safety yesterday, and took her for her first run yesterday towing the trailer with my old truck to the scrapyard. The 5/4 worked well, although the speedo crapped out and the oil pressure was a little lower than I would have hoped for. I sold the old truck for $100....almost enough to fill one of the fuel tanks when it runs dry.