MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 06-10-06, 22:47

Question Ford Truck / Armoured Car Chassis ID help!

Hello,

My name is Mark and I live in Texas. On the “Maple Leaf Up” forum I’ve come across several postings regarding both heavy Ford trucks used in Egypt and Libya during WWII and RAF Fordson Armored Cars, so I hope I’ve come to the right place to find some answers!

These armored cars, which saw service from 1914 to 1942 in one form or another first with Rolls Royce running gear and later with a Ford truck chassis and drive train, have been an interest of mine for a while now. It’s been a challenge finding precise, reliable information though.

Anyway, identifying the Ford truck chassis is proving to be more of a challenge than I had expected. I have not yet been able to verify the particular model. Based on historic photos I am guessing the correct chassis for the RAF Fordson Armoured Car would be a 1940 Ford 158” wheelbase, 4x2, 1 ½ or 3 ton truck – but I am far from certain.

Given the driver’s position in the armoured car, these were probably not c.o.e. type trucks. I don’t know if the Ford trucks were right or left-hand drive but the original 1914 Rolls Royce chassis was right-hand drive.

These armoured cars belonged to the RAF Armoured Car Company. The transfer of the armoured bodies from the Rolls Royce chassis to the Ford truck chassis supposedly took place at an RAF facility in Egypt, probably in late 1940.

Does anyone know or suspect what year and type of Ford truck chassis was used? Where could this transfer have been done? From what factory did the donor trucks originate? I’d appreciate any facts, opinions, web links, or photos that will help me along.

Here's a photo:
Fordsons

Thanks!

Mark

Last edited by MarkV; 09-10-06 at 19:09.