MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 06-02-24, 04:18

Default Carrying extra fuel in CMP on long trips.....

As I plan on going 4x4 further with my C15a fuel becomes a concern.

I have noticed/purchased some small 15 gallons, (actually 60 litres) steel drum previously used for engine oil....... price is right, size ideal for a one man handling and only 14 inches diam. so takes minimum floor space in the 2B1 to be installed soon ........ if Spring ever gets here...... Yes I will be going where there are no services, no cell, nuttin'....... but old logging roads.

Available on FB but shop around for best price.
Canada
Old 06-02-24, 22:14
MLU Administrator

Why not use Jerry cans?
Old 07-02-24, 00:07
Terry Warner

Hanno, our friend Bob has a certain "style and image" that he likes to cultivate. I suspect he'll even find a wartime folding funnel to pour his fuel through. Did you know he has "CMP" on his vehicle licence plate?

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 07-02-24, 03:37

Default Style my a*** ,,,,,,,, it's "panache"........

Terry consider the floor space taken by 3 jerry cans compared to 14 inch diameter for one drum..... and will carry 2 drum.....both will be attached to the headboard in the space left after fitting a spare tire brackewt for those big 10:50x16..... the triangular space left by the veertical spare tire will be takenby a 12v tire compressor to facilitate airing up and down the tires as required.

The marston mats will cut to fit 79 1/2 inch cross wise over the fenderboxes as a bed for my weary bones and will double as traction mats when required... the rest of the box is taken with cooler, toolbox, jack-all, military towbar, chains, shovel, pick, axe and more chains.... Maps in paper and digital with a GPS on my tablet. Front rad guard will hold a section of 1/2 inch steel cable BUT no barbed wire. My original winch is now fully operational. Chain saw and expendables. Basic food plus extra grub in the form of USA ready to eat meals and freeze dried food . A period tank corp one burner naphtha gas stove and my naphtha will be in the two can holders at the back of the cargo box...extra engine oil in two POW in the tool box. With the tarp on the new bows I can comfortably sleep off the ground..... 5 gallons of home water and an exhaustive filtration system for replenishment along the way. A social equalizer and bear spray will be in order.

Fashionably wearing early 50s army surplus OD cotton Summer pants and coat..... with lots of pockets......

A change of undies are optional but no one else to smell me.....oh almost forgot toilet paper!!!!

Do you get the idea that I have been over thinking this expedition????

Now have to wait for the snow to melt and get out there before the bugs/black flies come out.....

Notice that all the "extra" equipment can be removed to attend a military rally!!!!

Going where ....... well a few have gone before years ago....so I can't use the Star Trek line.....

Care to tag along and see what your Iltis and army experience can do???

Bob C
Troup "F" Scout
Canada
Old 07-02-24, 03:50

Default Jerry cans vs drums.....

Hi Hanno

I find the Jerry cans awkward with out a steel support frame work and would require double stacking them ...drums save floor space. Steel drums at $5.00 each means they are almost disposable...... once empty they can be cut for a fire pit....or......flatten with the axe so as to leave nothing behind.

The type of abandoned old loggin roads can be very narrow from lack of use and installing any Jerry cans support externally is looking for problems..... and although I have seen suicide jockeys carry spare fuel tied to the front bumper or fenders...... I FROWN on that idea.

With both barrels near the center of the truck I can easily siphon gas directly from the drums into the truck side tanks....... and if I need to suck the last drop, will remove drums and handle physically.

Can hardly wait for Spring
Canada
Old 07-02-24, 11:22
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Hi Hanno

I find the Jerry cans awkward with out a steel support frame work and would require double stacking them ...drums save floor space. Steel drums at $5.00 each means they are almost disposable...... once empty they can be cut for a fire pit....or......flatten with the axe so as to leave nothing behind.

The type of abandoned old loggin roads can be very narrow from lack of use and installing any Jerry cans support externally is looking for problems..... and although I have seen suicide jockeys carry spare fuel tied to the front bumper or fenders...... I FROWN on that idea.

With both barrels near the center of the truck I can easily siphon gas directly from the drums into the truck side tanks....... and if I need to suck the last drop, will remove drums and handle physically.

Can hardly wait for Spring
O.k. I get it - I can hardly wait to read about your adventures with your CMP!
Old 07-02-24, 11:24
MLU Administrator

Default Cultivate a certain "style and image"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
Hanno, our friend Bob has a certain "style and image" that he likes to cultivate. I suspect he'll even find a wartime folding funnel to pour his fuel through. Did you know he has "CMP" on his vehicle licence plate?
In that case he should get himself a set of proper "flimsies"! They are being reproduced in the UK.

Click image for larger version

Name:	repro flimsy.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	136971
Old 07-02-24, 17:02

Default Satellite phone

If you are truly going off grid where there is no cell or other contact you should get a Satellite phone for emergencies. It would be bad if the truck breaks down far from any help or if you have a medical event.
Old 07-02-24, 19:29

Default Yep.....loosing a GOOD TRUCK......

...would be a shame ........... me on the other hand I am not restorable!!!!!

...but I am looking into some form of communication....may be a 50 foot antenna extension for the cell phone..... in Western Quebec you do not have to go far to be out of service.

At least with a sat. cell phone they can find the body faster.
Canada
Old 07-02-24, 19:34

Default What a waste......

Hi Hanno

I would never use good flimsies for a back wood trip they might get dented but the $5 dollars barrels are almost disposable.

If I succeed it will be posted and photo documented....sadly there are no LRDG hulks to discover!!!!

Cheers
Canada
Old 07-02-24, 20:08

Bob I admire the "style and image" that you have cultivated. It sounds like a real fun trip and I can't wait to see the photos. If you need any more 60 liter barrels (blue plastic) I have a free supply you are welcome to. That is what I get my synthetic oil in now and the plastic oil container service the Ontario Government makes us pay for won`t take them. I cut them up and put them in the garbage bin. So much for recycling. Good luck on the trip.
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 07-02-24, 22:39

Default Same thing......

Hi Barry

The steel barrels I got had synthetic engine oil also...brand nane "TOTAL".
I will clean them up, prime and paint OD. Just happens to be a good size for one man handling.
At $5 bucks each it is cheaper than the the Chinese OD plastic cans sold at Princess for $109.99 or surplus army jerry cans(plastic) at $20.00 and beaten to sh** ........ Plastic 60 liters would be nice as they never rust. Thanks for the offer...... MT 60 L steel drums sell for $20 on FB listing for Toronto. The service station I got them from is stuck like you with getting rid of them.....

The trip is no more risky than going with my F150 4x4 and if it develops a problem I can't fix it. With the C15a at least I can tinker with it and it is just as dependable and with reasonable driving much more rugged.

Cheers
Canada
Old 08-02-24, 00:28

Default off road

over the yearswe have goine on a couple of off road trips, the last one in 2018 over forest service roads across the border in Washington State, a few video's on my YouTube channel "privatehm". Wish I could join you. Oh and you can fit a compressor onto the C15A transmission .
Old 08-02-24, 01:51

Default I have one..... maybe parts of a second one.....

Hi Harry

Not sure how dependable or fast these little suckers work..... in the old days of M 37 I used a spark plug pump.... easy to fit on a flat head Dodge...... worked rather well but takes a while to bring tires up from 12 pounds to 40+ for the highway but way faster than the little cigar lighter pump available back then.... I still have it but the rubber hose is now brittle....

The main hassle is getting to the start of the dirt roads or about 4 hours!!!!

May need a tank as well as I might play with the spare set of horns from a deuce.....

Bob C.
Canada
Old 08-02-24, 03:47
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Hi Harry

Not sure how dependable or fast these little suckers work..... in the old days of M 37 I used a spark plug pump.... easy to fit on a flat head Dodge...... worked rather well but takes a while to bring tires up from 12 pounds to 40+ for the highway .....
We know engines are compressors. But what about sprayed fuel in your tubes?

As for me joining the Bob Convoy on the Backroads Expedition? Not until my M151A2 comes out of rebuild. The guy who welded it together put a good half on the front, but the back half had a serious attack of the tin termites.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 08-02-24, 14:27

Quote:
To start with I wondered about that too but it turns out that there's a diaphragm between the cylinder gasses in the pump and the atmospheric air being compressed into the tyre. The pulsing pressure from the engine's cylinder provides the power to move fresh air through check valves and the pump to the tyre being inflated without any mixing of the two sets of gasses. Due to the now imbalanced cylinder pressures without the combustion cycle it is advised not to rev the engine highly in a desire to speed the inflation...
Old 09-02-24, 00:19
Terry Warner

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
To start with I wondered about that too but it turns out that there's a diaphragm between the cylinder gasses in the pump and the atmospheric air being compressed into the tyre. The pulsing pressure from the engine's cylinder provides the power to move fresh air through check valves and the pump to the tyre being inflated without any mixing of the two sets of gasses. Due to the now imbalanced cylinder pressures without the combustion cycle it is advised not to rev the engine highly in a desire to speed the inflation...
I "invested" a half hour of company time Googling and Youtubing for engine air compressors. It seems old Mr. Schrader the tire valve inventor would sell you a spark plug adaptor and a piston pump that blocked the cylinder head, but pressurized fresh air to go to your flat tire. Very clever! Now do I go looking for one on Amazon?

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 09-02-24, 16:32

Default Let me know if you find one....

....I doubt they are still making/selling them.....and for most modern vehicle you would have to find the spark plug first and once found figure out if you can physically reach it...... flatties were so nice......and on long 4x4 trips you could warm up you Kentucky fried chicken wrapped in foil right on top of your engine.

Burp!!!!!
Canada
Old 09-02-24, 17:50

Default Spark plug tire pump

This one almost looks new!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collecti...ump/1676076576
Old 10-02-24, 00:13

Default But one catch........

Good day Hawk eye!!!!

....what size spark plugs is it set for...... and he is not listing adapters.....

Am I correct in saying it must be 14mm for a 261 GM/Chev///AC 43

Pee Hess ..... is must be newer with that gauge included...old ones did not have one..... may be having a Biden moment!!!!
Canada
Old 10-02-24, 02:19

Default Tire pump

Hi Bob, it looks like the adapter on the hose fits both 14 and 18 mm spark plug holes.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-24, 02:41

Default You may be right........

Hi Paul

Yes it does seem to have two different thread sizes...... a bit tight to fit into no one cyl. on the cab 11 with out some heavy smear of Vaseline.... almost like a honeymoon!!!! ....er....nothing personal Harry !!!!!

This is certainly a newer version than mine...... if I can find it.......
Canada
Old 10-02-24, 02:46

Default Another listing under......

vintage schrader a bougie et pneu

This is a French one worth more money......
Canada