MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 01-01-07, 19:55
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Shouldn't ye be takin' the wrapper off first?
Old 01-01-07, 20:17
Vets Dottir

Like this?
Attached Images

Old 01-01-07, 20:20

Default Re: Re: last sunset of 06

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Is it true the bald-headed prairie is so flat you can see the back of your own head? ;>)
Derek. It is flat here. I sat in my backyard last night and watched the fireworks in Calgary .
Karmen. Lots of snow here. Don't mind the snow, hate the cold. luckily it has been a mild winter. Nice turkey. Looks like i'll be able to stop by this summer for leftovers.

Here is a favourite of mine from Mr. Burns

Ask why God made the gem so small.
An' why so huge the granite?
Because God meant mankind should set
That higher value on it.

Phil

Last edited by Phil Innes; 01-01-07 at 21:30.
Old 01-01-07, 20:29
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Like this?
Looks like you've got it figgered out... rub it with olive oil (try not to get too excited ) and sprinkle on garlic and you'll be good-to-go... can I come over for dinner?
Old 01-01-07, 20:48
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Looks like you've got it figgered out... rub it with olive oil (try not to get too excited ) and sprinkle on garlic and you'll be good-to-go... can I come over for dinner?
No olive oil in the house, just old cooking oil ... but what about BACON FAT?

GARLIC???? are you off your nut? That would TOTALLY destroy the old traditional taste!!! Savory and sage it is, with bacon bits and cellery bits, lots of onion bits in the stuffing ... salt and pepper ... oh yum.

I figure you could catch a flight and get here just in time for dinner!!!

Gotta go stuff that bird now, leave me alone for a while to get this done, eh?
Old 01-01-07, 21:17
Vets Dottir

Well, bird is in the oven as of 1:00 pm Mountain Time Zone here

I have NO idea how long it will take, but a site said a 12 lb-er recipe was 4 hours roasting time @ 325 degrees. Sprinkled sage, savory, pepper and a bit of salt on its oiled skin ................. are ya hungry Geoff?

Too bad I don't know anyone here to invite for dinner ... but, ALL THE MORE FOR ME!

Ma Yappy
Old 01-01-07, 21:34
former Resident Historian

Default Time

We use 40 mins per kilo + 40 mins. And bacon fat sounds great to get that crispy skin.

Kids are off again tomorrow, with one back Wednesday.
Old 01-01-07, 21:39
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Time

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
We use 40 mins per kilo + 40 mins. And bacon fat sounds great to get that crispy skin.

Kids are off again tomorrow, with one back Wednesday.
I don't have a clue how much the bird weighs, it wasn't marked on it, and I don't even have a bathroom scale to use

I think I'm looking at at least 4 to 5 hours. I just turned the oven down to 300 as I think it's too hot I usually have to use a lower temp here than recipes call for. Maybe its the elevation where we are?

Enjoy your timeout from the kids

Karmen
Old 01-01-07, 21:46
former Resident Historian

Default Time

Watch that bird!!!! You may find that four hours is too long. We always use tin foil in the UK, although I have heard of using pots. After two days we threw away the leftovers, as the kids were fed up with turkey, and Juliette is a Veggie. He dad was a shooter-fisher, and the sight of dead pheasants, and trout put her off meat as a teenager. J's late mum was a wizz with pheasant cooking, and it;s still season here but I could never do a bird justice. The biggest trout Fred would have smoked, and it was better than smoked salmon.
Old 01-01-07, 21:57
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Time

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
Watch that bird!!!! You may find that four hours is too long. We always use tin foil in the UK, although I have heard of using pots. After two days we threw away the leftovers, as the kids were fed up with turkey, and Juliette is a Veggie. He dad was a shooter-fisher, and the sight of dead pheasants, and trout put her off meat as a teenager. J's late mum was a wizz with pheasant cooking, and it;s still season here but I could never do a bird justice. The biggest trout Fred would have smoked, and it was better than smoked salmon.
My landlord said he figured it was about 13 lbs. I'll just watch it carefully from 3 hours onwards. My daughter and I had a small bird and recipes online put cooking time to about 3 and a half hours (in Calgary) but at that time the turkey was overdone, therefore a little dry, but great with lots of gravy on it. Her leftovers she froze and she's using for soups

I empathoize with Julia, as I spent my first years on a farm and saw the critters killed and butchered/plucked/whatever. Fish and meat. If I can avoid thinking of the meat in its live form, I like it, but if I think of the animal it puts me off meat too

GEOFF ... Band of Brothers is on History Channel here right now too What an amazing production. I never get tired of seeing it.

Karmen
Old 01-01-07, 22:06
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Re: MLU-ers 2007

Quote:
January 25th is it, then?
Karmen

Aye Lass, that it is! I'll be sharing my Haggis with Dave, Dave, and perhaps Dave at Dave's house that weekend, that is if Dave and Dave make it to Dave's.
Old 01-01-07, 22:51
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Turkey Cookin'...

Quote:
Well, bird is in the oven as of 1:00 pm Mountain Time Zone here

I have NO idea how long it will take, but a site said a 12 lb-er recipe was 4 hours roasting time @ 325 degrees. Sprinkled sage, savory, pepper and a bit of salt on its oiled skin ................. are ya hungry Geoff?

Too bad I don't know anyone here to invite for dinner ... but, ALL THE MORE FOR ME!

Ma Yappy
Ma ..
Just cook the turkey until you can put an oven mit on and press down on the breast and the bird carcase structure collapses...Then it is fully cooked..
Mix some flour and butter into a paste,called a rue and then drain off the turkey fat ...
About three table spoons flour/butter mix..
Take the bird out of the pan and onto a plate..With the pan drained of grease spoon the flour/butter mixture into the pan drippin's and massage around the bottom of the pan...Use the potato and carrot water off the veggies and pour into the turkey pan....
Mix and massage that mixture around in the turkey pan while bringing to a rolling boil...Add salt and pepper...
You'll have the best pan gravy going...
Enjoy/..
Old 01-01-07, 23:08
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Turkey Cookin'...

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Ma ..
Just cook the turkey until you can put an oven mit on and press down on the breast and the bird carcase structure collapses...Then it is fully cooked..
Mix some flour and butter into a paste,called a rue and then drain off the turkey fat ...
About three table spoons flour/butter mix..
Take the bird out of the pan and onto a plate..With the pan drained of grease spoon the flour/butter mixture into the pan drippin's and massage around the bottom of the pan...Use the potato and carrot water off the veggies and pour into the turkey pan....
Mix and massage that mixture around in the turkey pan while bringing to a rolling boil...Add salt and pepper...
You'll have the best pan gravy going...
Enjoy/..
Excellent gravy recipe and simply explained, Alex ... thank you My gravies usually turn out pretty good, but yours sounds even better and more like what my Mom used to make (which I forgot how she did it ) I do make it in the pan drippings on the stove top though.

My hands/arms are giving out on me by this point. Don't know hpow I'll manage to peel and do the potatos and other veggies ... or lift the turkey out of the oven and broiler pan Lets hope it doesn't end up on the floor!

Its smelling great though, and am basting it often YUM!
Old 01-01-07, 23:24
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: MLU-ers 2007

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Aye Lass, that it is! I'll be sharing my Haggis with Dave, Dave, and perhaps Dave at Dave's house that weekend, that is if Dave and Dave make it to Dave's.
I wonder if I'd find some haggis in this town? Hmmmmm ... note to self: Find out if they celebrate Robbie Burns Day and where the haggis will be. Be there.

If I meet any more Dave's I'll send them along to Dave's then

BTW ... my new smoke alarm works great! Every time I open the oven to baste my bird, it goes off and I've had to wave towels and things and open my door (brrrr) so I just knocked it off the ceiling THAT WORKED! I guess it's time to clean my oven of spatter (the bird is fine!)
Old 02-01-07, 00:19
Vets Dottir

Talking Is it done yet?

So what do you folks think ... is it done?

Looks pretty good iffen I do say so myself. Plain old turkey, no frills and no sutures this time,
Attached Thumbnails
yappys turkey.jpg  
Old 02-01-07, 01:15
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Is it done yet?

Quote:
So what do you folks think ... is it done?

Looks pretty good iffen I do say so myself. Plain old turkey, no frills and no sutures this time,

Ma..
Read the "Gravy Post"...Pay attention to the first line...

Ma ..

If it won't collapse easily it is not done..no matter what it looks like..
Nothing worse than undercooked turkey or chicken..

I would rather eat the dirt off my driveway..(To quote the Bard of Mace's Bay when the topic of lobster came up..)
Old 02-01-07, 01:23
Vets Dottir

It went back in the oven after that photo

I'm pooped ... turkey is done and I've just eaten a bit of dinner. Was upset to find I didn't have any bread for the stuffing (thought I had) so used the sourdough I bought. Sourdough not good as I figured. I don't mind turfing the stuffing. Only wanted to get the bird done with anyways