MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 31-08-08, 07:38

Default Silver Wheel Insurance plan

Hi everyone

Ive started the process to register my Jeep for road use as a Historic vehicle within Ontarios' MTO laws. However in regards to insurance I seem to have a problem.

Ive looked at the Silver Wheel Plan offered by Lant. It seems perfect for what I want and need. However they say you must have 10years continuous driving experience to get coverage.

Im 25 and have had my license since Aug 23, 2001.

Does anyone in Ontario have any suggestions as to what I could do. I hate the idea of either waiting another 2 years or being overcharged by profit hungry companies when the Jeep wouldn't be driven for half the year due to our winters and road salt use.

Any suggestions as to what I could do.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 31-08-08, 14:58

Jordan, have you tried your own insurance company? Some companies have a provision for historic vehicles and if you put collision on a vehicle for the driving season and leave fire and theft for the rest, they can accomodate you. Make sure you have historic plates and not year of manufacture plates.
Lant's Silver Wheel policy is unbeatable service and price wise but if you can't, you can't. I will gladly trade your problems with being too young for my problems with being too old.
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 31-08-08, 16:11

Hi Barry

Not trading ages, no deal there.

I will give my own company a shot on Tuesday. Then in a few years I will apply with Lant.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 03-09-08, 02:25

Well my own insurance company declined to insure me on this. Wow, turning down free money.

I tried another one and called Silver Wheel. Basically I need 10 years with a licence to qualify. The other company had a historic class but it specifically mentioned firetrucks/ hearse's and ARMY JEEPS as not allowed.

this is how I feel right now.

So I will call around some more too see what else can be offered at cheap rates.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 03-09-08, 21:04
3RD ECHELON WKSP

What was your company's reason to decline you vehicle? Should it be a case of it being historic, try the alternative of calling it a daily driver.

Do you have the opprtunity to have it insured by a parent or relative and have yourself added as an occasional driver?

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 04-09-08, 03:52

Well the saga continues. So far I still don't have an ownership.

I thought I had everthing today (has the stuff I was told I needed last time around) I got my tax appraisal done and my affidavit all signed. Luckly she remembers me and says, "yup youve got everthing thing. Let me check with head office". So after 20min on being put on hold she says that head office is now saying I need to get a letter from another dealer saying that what Im registering is actually what Im saying it is. Apprently the used car dealer who did my appraisl isn't enough proof. They said that because Jeep is made by Chrylser "today", I should go to a Chrysler dealership. Huh last time I checked they never made my kind of Jeep and my kind stopped being made way back in 1945. Thankfully we have a friend who owns a Chrylser dealership and one quick phone call and some pictures will get my letter typed out.

As for insurance. I will try calling around some more. I got a few more places recommended to me in Hamilton. If nothing pans out I will change ownership to my Dad and get it insured under SilverWheel. At least this way it can be driven around (with my supervision) and still be covered incase the barn burns down.

Frankly it has just been one big pain in the ass. At least I will know whats coming when I get my CMP registered.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 04-09-08, 22:38
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Jordan, the lady at the MTO doesn't know what she is talking about. A filled in appraisal sheet from any certified automotive appraiser is all you need as well as your signed affadavit petaining to the original purchase.

You do need adequate appraisal services when you get your insurance- pictures and a detailed account of your vehicle. You see, there are two kinds of appraisals my friend; one for the MTO who is using it to tax you and one for insurance purposes.

You should get an ownership right away for any intended resto as you pay your tax based on the value at the time of ownership transfer, even if it is "unfit"; eg a wreck worth $500 plus applicable tax vs a restored vehicle without an ownership that was just appraised at $10,000 plus applicable tax.
Why would you pay tax on tax, afterall you just bought $1000s of dollars in parts that you paid tax on, right???

I would have gone into another MTO office until I found one where they didn't hassle me.
I know the one in Guelph is straightforeward enough and the one in Georgetown is even easier to deal with...

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 06-09-08, 18:51

Well my saga is closer to being completed.

I got my letter from the dealership that said I had what I had and went into a different MTO office to get registration done. The lady looked everything over and siad let me just make a phone call to make sure. Came back and asked who the excuter of my grandfathers estate was. Told her that he was very much alive. She said I would need to get a bill of sale from him stating that he had given it to me.

So a drive out to see my grandparents and a two sentence letter was accomplished. Returned to the office and got to pass a now huge line up of 60 people and go straight to her desk. (nothing like having 120 eyes burn holes in your backside). I now find out that since my grandfather gave me the jeep and because it was never registered I didn't need the MTO tax appraisal and didn't have to pay any taxes. I only had to pay $10 for the ownership.

10 mins later I know have an ownership for my Jeep with its VIN # as the frame number. The make is listed as Willys, Model is MB and the year is 42. The colour is green as OD wasn't listed.

Now I just need insurance and the safety completed. Both of which I may have lined up.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 11-09-08, 23:18

Well more good news. I got my safety cert yesterday and insurance coverage today. Im off to the MTO in the morning to get plates and the little sticker.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 12-09-08, 18:06

Well I just got my plates and sticker today. The Jeep is now legal to drive on the road.

I also found out about the YOM plates. If you go with them you have to pay the full $74 a year fee. Whereas the Historical plates are only $18. The two ladies I spoke with today also felt that it was a mega ripoff.

Anyway, Im happy the Jeep can be legaly driven.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 12-09-08, 21:45

Just got back from my first drive. Oh the fun. Was on the Hwy and local roads. Everthing went well.
Attached Thumbnails
12.jpg   13.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 25-09-08, 11:52
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
Well I just got my plates and sticker today. The Jeep is now legal to drive on the road.

I also found out about the YOM plates. If you go with them you have to pay the full $74 a year fee. Whereas the Historical plates are only $18. The two ladies I spoke with today also felt that it was a mega ripoff.

Anyway, Im happy the Jeep can be legaly driven.
Jordan...just an aside to your frustrating experiences...WRT YOMs,I have a 1943 plate on the front of my CMPand the HV on the rear. I keep the front HV under a front seat "just in case". Of course, out here in the country, the possibility of being hassled about such an arrangement is just about nil.

I'm insanely jealous of your MB!

What can we do about the ground pins?
Old 25-09-08, 16:44

Im doing the same about my plates. The YOM on the front and the HV one on the back. I put over 300miles on the Jeep in the past 2 weeks and not had any trouble.

How ever I have now had my coverage cancelled due to not being a 6 star driver and only a 4 star. However my brooker is working on something for me so im still hopeful.

Trying to get the pins to Stew so that he can pass them onto you when he gets the tarp.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer