MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 25-06-08, 21:44
48th Highlander

Default Norton beauty

Geoff once again MLU brings back my memories of the past. It is amazing how it re-opens contacts thousands of miles away. Betty and I recently had a re-enactment chap Bart Bousery from the Netherlands and his lady friend Isobel pay us a visit while they were visiting California. He has recently rejuvenated a Norton and to see the good old 57 on his bike which was 48th Highlander brigade number. This really brought back the memories. I rode a Norton in 1942 for about six months but after 3 accidents they asked for my spurs and whip and told me my riding days were over. So I am forever greatful to MLU for keeping alive some of the old memories. Our connection came through correspondence on MLU for which Geoff I am very grateful to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Bart's Norton.jpg   Bart, Norm & Betty.jpg   Bart & Isobel.jpg  
Old 25-06-08, 23:49
Senior Forum Member

Smile Just for you Norm ...

Source: Library & Archives Canada
Title: Despatch riders of the 48th Highlanders of Canada, England, 19 April 1943.
Date: April 19, 1943.
Photographer: Royal, Frank., Photographer
Mikan Number: 3225484

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
48th Highlanders.jpg  
Old 27-06-08, 15:07
Norton WD16H

Well Norm it was a real privilege to meet you and your wife.Norm is such a witty person, a real pleasure to talk to, Isabelle and I had a good time (although we suffered big time from jet-lag).

Most people like Re-enactment for the looks and the genuine stuff, but you must not forget the historical significance of it. The visit with Norm really opened my eyes even more. When you wear a wartime uniform, you can't be an empy shell and pretend to be something you're not. The history behind it is so important, you have to realise what you are doing and behave in that manner. It's just a matter of respect.

@ Norm, we are proud Belgians ;-)