MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 05-03-10, 02:50
Rene

Default Army green paint

I am restoring an Iron Horse engine generator set (Pu-5008/U) used by the Canadian Army during ww2. I am looking for some engine paint. Would someone know where I can find some. Since it is for an air cooled engine it would have to be heat resistant. I quess I would need at the most 1/2 a gallon. I am not looking for the exact match but it has to be a drab green.

Thanks, René
Old 05-03-10, 06:43
GM Fox I

Default Chorehorses

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefarwest View Post
I am restoring an Iron Horse engine generator set (Pu-5008/U) used by the Canadian Army during ww2. I am looking for some engine paint. Would someone know where I can find some. Since it is for an air cooled engine it would have to be heat resistant. I quess I would need at the most 1/2 a gallon. I am not looking for the exact match but it has to be a drab green.

Thanks, René
The chorehorse you have was built in WW2 by the Johnson Outboard and Marine Company in Peterborough, Ontario. It was 12 volts and used to power wireless sets like the No.19 and No.52. The paint was matt brown, and later, matt olive drab. Post-war, these units got a chance to serve again when Canada adopted the hermetically sealed No.42 sets to replace the aging WW2 19 sets. Surplus chorehorses were rebuilt to 24 volts (by re-arranging the generator armatures), repainted a shiny, dark olive drab and given a new data plate with the name PU-5008/U.

Mike Timoshyk has matched the WW2 brown and olive drab. Perhaps he's matched the post war colour too?
Attached Thumbnails
Chorehorse and Tool Box.jpg  
Old 06-03-10, 02:08
Rene

Default Army green color

Thanks Bruce,

My genset is pretty well that color. I don't see any significant difference. I beleive mine has the original paint. My Genset is a 30 volts 300 watts. I found the majority of the parts I need and I am looking for some paint to start putting parts together.

If someone can help me to locate some paint that will make my day. I guess it will have to be heat resistant.

I am looking for an original muffler, the side covers for the control box and the control ajusting knob.
Old 06-03-10, 04:04
GM Fox I

Default Paint colours

Just my experience, but if it's that colour and it is 24V and has a data plate that says P2008/U it's a post war conversion of a WW2 set. Brian Asbury should be able to sell you the colour to match what is on your set now.

Last edited by Bruce Parker (RIP); 06-03-10 at 04:23.
Old 11-03-10, 02:19
Rene

Default military Paint

HI Bruce, I got hold of Brian. He has alot of parts for my unit that is one good news but has no paint.

I have been told that these engines don't get too hot and emanel paint should be Ok.

I still need to find some.

Thanks,