MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 07-05-11, 07:42
Harold

Default Cdn/Brit Stuart Antenna Info Needed

Looking for info and pics of the antenna locations for the Canadian/british Stuarts tanks equipted with the Mk19 radio sets. I know there is an antenna mount on the rear of the turret for one of the antennas but where would the second antenna be located.... Thank you in advance.... Harold
Old 08-05-11, 14:35
Phil

Hi there Harold!

Well Australia were inclined to follow the British mods to their Stuarts but I can not be 100% it included the method of ariel mounts.

I have included several photos that show where "A" set ariel was mounted (circled in BLUE) The mount was made from cutting down the US ariel mount located bolted ontop of the engine deck and welding to the rear armour. (see photo 2~3~4) The ariel feed wire was carried inside either armoured condute or pipe across the engine deck to be fed into the same location as the US ariel was fed into the hull. (see photo 1~2~4 in blue)

Also 2 alternate locations for the "B" set ariel that were used after the W/S No.19 was relocated from the rear bulkhead to the right hand sponson. The ariel mount that was bolted to the left hand side of the engine compartment was removed and usualy welded in a mirrored possition on the right hand side. (see photo 4~5 in red) How ever a alternate location was welded ontop of the engine deck. (see photo 1~2 in red) The ariel feed wire was once again carried inside either armoured condute or pipe and fed into the nearest corner of the battery compartment from where it then carried into the fighting compartment to the W/S19.(see photo 1~4 in red)

Phil...
Attached Thumbnails
M3 Ariel deatail 1.jpg   M3 ariel detail 2.jpg   M3 ariel detail 3.jpg   M3 ariel detail 4.jpg   M3 ariel detail 5.jpg  

Milt Land Rovers
Inc:- 58 "gun buggy", 60 FFW, 70 FFW, 71 10 seater Wgn, 69 GS.
M3 Stuart Light Tank "hybrid"
FV1600 Humber FFW/cargo
Mk1 Ferret scout car (waiting restoration)
Various trailers
Inc:- K38, "Ben Hur" 1 ton, 200 Gal "Humber" water tank Tlr, Aust jeep, Landrover recovery.
Milt Radios
etc etc...
Old 09-05-11, 09:34
Phil

Here are a few more photos showing a few more details and differences:-

Photo no. 6: shows an alternate mount for the "A" set ariel on the front of the right hand sponson. I have seen this style on M3A1 Stuarts and located the ariel close to the where the 19 sets ATU was located. However it also also put the ariel in harms way of the 37mm barrel when the turret was traversed to the right hand side.

Photo no. 7: shows the original position of the "B" set ariel mount prior to being relocated.

Photo no. 8: shows the "A" set mount (in blue) and a different orientation of "B" set ariel mount (in red).

Photo no. 9: shows the "A" set mount and some of the tabs for the condute for the ariel feeder. Of interest is you can see more clearly how the mount has been made from the original US ariel mount.
Attached Thumbnails
M3 ariel detail 6.jpg   M3 ariel detail 7.jpg   M3 ariel detail 8.jpg   M3 ariel detail 9.jpg  
Milt Land Rovers
FV1600 Humber FFW/cargo
Various trailers
Inc:- K38, "Ben Hur" 1 ton, 200 Gal "Humber" water tank Tlr, Aust jeep, Landrover recovery.
Milt Radios
etc etc...
Old 09-05-11, 09:43
Phil

Also forgot to say that as a general rule the ariel mount on the rear of the turret was not used due to the fact that with the radio set located in the right hand sponson the crew would be tangeled up in the feeder wire as the turret was traversed. This was more so the case with M3 and M3 Hybrids with out turret baskets.
However I am not sure if the M3A1 had catered for this in its turret basket slip ring. The M3A3 and M5A1 however had their radio set in the turret bussel. so this was not an issue.

Phil...
Milt Land Rovers
FV1600 Humber FFW/cargo
Various trailers
Milt Radios
etc etc...
Old 11-05-11, 04:01
Harold

I'm looking for the arial setup for the M5 and a good friend from Ottawa sent me the info. The one with the cone shaped mount went on the antenna bracket on the rear of the turret and the other antenna went just ahead and to the left hand side infront of the gunners hatch. it was to the left of the grab handle on the turret roof just behind the periscope guard. I do thank all for their posts.... Harold