MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 02-05-10, 09:36

One other option is to put dry ice in the cylinders on the bottom of the pistons. Of course the enigne will have to be upside down and it is much easier to do with the crank removed.

This will drastically cool the pistons causing them to shrink and should help free them up. I have used this method a couple times and it worked great.

Matthew
Old 02-05-10, 17:06
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
If that doesn't work, try pouring a little diesel in on top of the pistons, and set fire to it. You will need to put in a bit of rag to act as a wick.(to get the diesel to burn) You might have to go through the process a couple of times.

What it does is warms up the various components a little bit. They all expand at different rates, and make the bits move slightly, relative to each other. Give it another clean on top of each piston, and give it another oil. try moving it again
Good idea!

And the diesel has a slight penetrating oil quality. But using it exposed to the atmosphere won't make your neighbours any more friendly, cuz' it has a delicate all-pervasive aroma that some people just don't appreciate.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 02-05-10, 17:09
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewq4b View Post
One other option is to put dry ice in the cylinders on the bottom of the pistons. Of course the engine will have to be upside down and it is much easier to do with the crank removed.

This will drastically cool the pistons causing them to shrink and should help free them up. I have used this method a couple times and it worked great.

Matthew
Fun with physics.

And the unused cylinders are perfect 'beverage' coolers to supercool the requisite 'refreshments'.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 04-05-10, 05:21
Michael P.

thanks for the tips everyone
I have cleaned out the last cylinder that was holding allot of oil. it was holding allot of rust and carbon on the piston head, I need to take a closer look but I am almost certain that the cylinder is pitted
Old 18-05-10, 06:27
Michael P.

been bouncing around, looking for engine and contemplating what this jeep will become.

found a very nice fellow that offered me a complete willys motor for free, but like mine its stuck (dont know if its pitted from rust or not)

and stumbled onto a M38A1 engine that was running when pulled. seems the hurricane engine will work but it will involve cutting the hood.... not good. although I could find a beat up hood to use for the time being.

and lastly I believe I found a running military M38 engine with gauge cluster, I am working on getting this engine with the hopes it will be a drop in.

going to get the frame checked soon, I know the front end will need to be rebuilt.

since progress is extremely slow , I am putting some time into my other hobbies
Old 21-05-10, 05:26
Michael P.

made a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH6olu41krg