MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 28-06-08, 17:16

Default Australian Carrier T-Numbers

Hi to all -

I am still mighty confused ref Australian T-series numbers on their carriers. I understand the initial AIF/AMF numbers, interchangeable with the so-called Commonwealth C Number and then the hull number often used as the vehicle VRN...

My question is, did the Australian T-nos fit into the UK's T-series numbers or where they quite seperate. As far as I can judge, they were seperate.

My second question, were many UK built carriers sent to Australia or just to N Africa where they were issued to the Aussies ? Further, did they then take them home in 1941 when they bugged out ?

Finally I have a question ref the Australian Marmon Harrington tanks but will put that to the other forum !

Many thanks in advance

Roddy
Old 29-06-08, 03:20
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Ex UK carriers (Mk1, Mk1*, MkII etc) that were issued/sold to the Aussies in North Africa retained their UK T Nos. The number was not prefixed with "AIF". There are many of these that came back to Australia.

Aust built LP Carriers that received AIF-T-xxx numbers were numbered separate to the WD system, although NZ built LP2A carriers WERE allocated WD T-Nos. In Nigel Watson's book, these are referred to as "UC Mk?", but they are physically and by nomenclature LP2As. Nigel also suggests a contract for 2000 Carriers to be built in Aust were allocated WD numbers. No UCs were built in Aust, and I have not seen evidence of a Ford Australia LP2A bearing a WD number so, as Nigel suggests, this contract may not have been fulfilled.
Attached Thumbnails
NZ LP2A T77713.jpg   NZ LP2A T78025.JPG   NZ LP2A T78196.JPG  
Old 29-06-08, 08:17
Bluebell

Default Tony

I don't believe Nigel is suggesting there was an "order" to produce 2000 carriers. Rather, I think, a block of 2000 numbers, was allocated by the war office for Australian produced carriers.
I guess Breaker Morant's influence came in here, and the Australian authorities chose not to follow Mother Englands directions.
And so today I have learned that Aust. built LP2/2a's never had a "T" number.
ps. Mk1* were Canadian.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 29-06-08, 11:27

Default Australian Carrier Nos

Lynn -

Many thanks for both replies. I will now add several new pages to my database to accommodate the Aussie numbers.

The next question however is if there are listings of those UK Carriers that went home to Australia in 1941/42 or indeed issued to Aussie forces in the Far East ? I have a feeling this will mean a trawl through all the War Diaries. Luckily they are on the Net !

Many thanks again

Roddy
Old 29-06-08, 12:02
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
I don't believe Nigel is suggesting there was an "order" to produce 2000 carriers. Rather, I think, a block of 2000 numbers, was allocated by the war office for Australian produced carriers.
p113: "Ford Australia: Contract A1071: UC Mk?: 2000
Ford NZ: Contract NZ1083: UC Mk?: 650
**** Orders were placed with Australia and New Zealand for Universal Carriers, but it is unclear if they were fulfilled."
Old 30-06-08, 13:26
Bluebell

Default O.K Tony

Now I see from where you are quoting. The 650 LP2a's were built by N.Z.(ordered by the Eastern Group Supply Council)The order was cancelled, because the order had been covered, presumeablyby Canada and the U.S. !0 were supplied to the Free French, and 23 to the U.S. The remaining 617 were taken over by the N.Z. army after the war, where they gradually replaced the LP2 in service.
My guess is that Aust. received an order for carriers (britian had a dire need), but cancelled fothe same reason as N.Z.'s cancellation.
The Aust pattern carrier would have been considered a "U.C." from the U.K.'s point of veiw, as it would have fulfilled the same role.
All the above about N.Z. carriers is quoted from Jeff Plowmans book.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....