MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 20-06-22, 00:31
carrier mech

Default Look what a friend gave me. Need help to ID

On my recent roadtrip to Alberta, a friend gave me a bunch of WS19 set stuff. Some of it I recognize as regular WS19, but some I do not. He gave me an WS19 Amplifier and the table it mounts to. All 8 of the rubber mounts have broken. My first question is what or where did the table mount to? There was also an AC supply unit, and I think I have a couple of those out in the shed already.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0109.jpg   DSCF0110.jpg   DSCF0124.jpg   DSCF0126.jpg  
Old 20-06-22, 00:40
carrier mech

Now for some more "new to me" oddities. The variometer has a different cord coming out of it. Was this a ham radio operators post war modification?

Aslo, the metal plate does not match up to the wooden block on the mount. The metal plate wants flathead screws while the wooden block is not indented to accept the plate.

Next photo is a lamp assembly, a smaller than usual dogbone, and a couple of little ceramic electronic items. Any help?
Third is one of the small dogbones next to the normal larger dogbone. I got about a half dozen of the regular dogbones, then some with the cord for the crystal calibrator, and the small ones with the cord for the crystal calibrator.

There was also one dogbone with a amperage meter spliced into it.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0111.jpg   DSCF0112.jpg   DSCF0113.jpg   DSCF0114.jpg  

Last edited by rob love; 20-06-22 at 01:00.
Old 20-06-22, 00:44
carrier mech

Next is a photo of some more misc stuff. There are multiples of most of it. I am guessing the green brackets with the neck and chest straps are to hold a microphone in the "stowed/ready" position?
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0115.jpg   DSCF0116.jpg   DSCF0117.jpg   DSCF0119.jpg   DSCF0125.jpg  

Old 20-06-22, 00:51
carrier mech

Another box of stuff. It included one of the nicest spares box with key that I have seen. That will be moving into the carrier. Does anyone recognize the little test box, or what is inside the sealed box? The previous owner didn't have the heart to open the boxes, and neither do I unless it is something I would actually use. One shot shows the ID plate on the table.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0120.jpg   DSCF0121.jpg   DSCF0122.jpg   DSCF0124.jpg   DSCF0123.jpg  

Old 20-06-22, 00:55
carrier mech

Again, I am no radio collector. They are just an accessory to sit in the vehicle, so I know little about the oddball stuff. Please enlighten me.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0127.jpg  

Last edited by rob love; 20-06-22 at 01:02.
Old 20-06-22, 01:41
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Now for some more "new to me" oddities. The variometer has a different cord coming out of it. Was this a ham radio operators post war modification?
No idea, may be specific to the Canadian amplifier. I've not seen that variometer extension before.

Quote:
Aslo, the metal plate does not match up to the wooden block on the mount. The metal plate wants flathead screws while the wooden block is not indented to accept the plate.
The block may just be a spacer because I think the variometer fits to the amplifier table frame so does not need an adapter plate

Quote:
Next photo is a lamp assembly, a smaller than usual dogbone, and a couple of little ceramic electronic items. Any help?
Third is one of the small dogbones next to the normal larger dogbone. I got about a half dozen of the regular dogbones, then some with the cord for the crystal calibrator, and the small ones with the cord for the crystal calibrator.

There was also one dogbone with a amperage meter spliced into it.
Small dogbones (6-pin - 6-pin) are for the earlier WS19 Mk.2

Lamp is the standard "Lamp Operator" - you remove the red lens and the bulb from the supply unit, screw the cable in instead, and clip the lamp somewhere where it sheds useful light without dazzling you.

The ceramic items are high-voltage silver-mica capacitors.

The dogbone with the spliced-in meter is a later bodge by someone.

Be careful with the AC power supplies: the 6X5 rectifiers are a weak point and if the insulation between the valve heater and cathode fails they can destroy the transformer.

Best regards,
Chris.
Old 20-06-22, 02:18
carrier mech

Thanks Chris.

What about the large silver cables that allow the plugs to be stacked? Are those also a amplifier item?

These were held in a technical college since the war, so some items may have been modified for their test purposes. Apparently the stuff was boxed up after the war was over and refound just a few years ago when they were given to my friend.

Last edited by rob love; 20-06-22 at 05:27.
Old 20-06-22, 05:02
GM Fox I

It's all Canadian Amplified No.19 stuff.
Old 20-06-22, 05:27
carrier mech

I guess I had better be looking for some parts manuals. It is not quite as easy as looking for regular 19 set stuff.
Old 20-06-22, 09:33
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

WOW! what a nice bit of kit to find.

Lets start:

The amplifier/power supply sits on top of the rack over the 19 set. This rack is bolted to a bench or table. It looks like you're missing the amplifier power supply.

The variometer is standard issue for the amplifier CES. The bit on the end is a protection circuit for the 19 set. It shorts the receiver aerial input when transmitting.

Most of the cables appear to be used with the amplifier. The power supply is AC/DC so there were separate power cables.

The little grey box with a toggle switch is the send/receive switch when using the amplifier with a WS22.

The photo of the complete set is one I have had for years so I don't know where it came from. If it's from any member here please chime in. It shows cable connections.

The manual you'll want is the "Working Instructions Amplifier C19 *experimental". Chris could confirm as I think it's on the WS19 group website.

If the little AC supply for the WS19 is still good it can be used for years if care is taken. The other photo was my operating bench back in Canada. I was setting up the C19 amplifier on the left running from AC as I didn't have the four 6V 145AH batteries normally used. The 19 set on middle shelf is being run with the AC supply. The blue box to the left is a variac which I used to power the set up. It's lasted over 15 years using this method.
Attached Thumbnails
Radio_19set_mk3.jpg   shack.jpg  
Old 20-06-22, 17:28
carrier mech

Thanks for that photo Bruce. I now see what the intent of the table is along with the positioning of most of many of the cables. I guess the hunt will be on for an amplifier power supply. I guess I had best check with my friend to see if he has it.
Old 20-06-22, 17:35

After having looked for years for a decent 6/6 crystal calibrator dog bone, I've now seen several in the last few days, one of which I went ahead and purchased so I can retire the one I restored. I was also able to pick up a complete spares box like that one. It's amazing to me that there is still so much good stuff out there after all these years.

That's a nice grouping you've been given. I like being able to see the more rare bits.

James D. Teel II
Edmond, Oklahoma
Retired Police Sergeant/Bomb Tech
1943 Willys MB/ITM jeep
1942 SS Cars No1Mk1 LtWt trailer
Old 20-06-22, 23:49
carrier mech

Well James, there is the old saying that when it rains it pours.
I have multiples of many of the cables....way more than I will ever use. At some point I'll put the spares up for trade.
Old 21-06-22, 03:03

Rob , i have a couple of spare HP amplifiers …You already have i see the power supply ( rectifier ) , the tuning unit and the HP variometer . You need a stock Mk3 No 19 and with an amplifier you have everything but the specific antenna for the HP set .I could drop the amplifier at the Brandon airport around July 23 - 24 or so .It’s a heavy son of a b of a box !
94 LSVW
Old 21-06-22, 04:22
carrier mech

Robert
Lets make a deal.

As to the regular 19 set needed to complete this set, I have a half dozen sitting out in the shed. I'll have to have a look and see if there are any mk3s out there.

Rob
Old 21-06-22, 20:00

This will be travelling West to you in July if the weather improves . BTW : Never believe anyone that says it’s an experimental unit .It is not . While not used in the NWE theater it was used extensively in Canada during the war and post -war including Korea . They were mounted in the Wire-5 that were all wired for them from the factory . 1/5 carried the HP set and those that were had a 110 V generator on the bottom of the generator compartment . The Reserves used them into the 60’s in the Wire -5 setup .
Attached Thumbnails
63670D91-FA33-4622-902F-9D5A58F05149.jpeg   75D5E34C-83A5-428F-8C04-CEBE1DD4D7E9.jpeg  
94 LSVW
Old 22-06-22, 07:41
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
BTW : Never believe anyone that says it’s an experimental unit .It is not . While not used in the NWE theater it was used extensively in Canada during the war and post -war including Korea . .
There is a painting by a war artist of a scene in Korea where an amplifier can be seen in the background. As to experimental, it was in May, 1943.
Attached Thumbnails
manual.jpg