MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 13-09-22, 17:27

Default British Columbia wants to erase Military History

While the government bulliten referenced has been around for more than a year, admonishments that they were just after imported US vehicles aparantly gave the government here to much credit. https://www.cvse.ca/vehicle_inspecti...nspections.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
ICBC_HarryMoon_Rdctd_BW.jpg  

Last edited by Harry Moon; 13-09-22 at 17:36.
Old 13-09-22, 21:40
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Well, it sucks but people get the government they wish for.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 14-09-22, 00:55
GM Fox I

I suppose this was coming. That these have been licenced for decades with I'm certain a very low incident rate obviously didn't facto into it. Nor that a PU (HUP or any CMP) is virtually mechanically identical to civilian models of the day...only cosmetic differences. Would they allow a 1 ton civilian Chev?

Can they even legally do this by policy bulletin? They probably don't care because your legal fees to fight it would be more than the price of the truck.

What they are inadvertently saying is that a large part of your investment has been expropriated (stolen) from you without compensation. How many buyers will pay what it's worth if you can't use it? Another way of looking at it is the ones with licenses have been grandfathered. The minute the license lapses or you try to sell it's a dead end

Oh, and these folks talk to each other so expect this to occur in every province.

Yes, this is one f-ed up country and it doesn't look like it's getting any better.

Interesting too about the insurance. I recently went to bat trying to get liability and event insurance for the Fox and UC...NOT vehicle insurance. I hit a dead end. It's not got a licence plate so no auto insurance. My house won't insure it through my home owner's policy on or definitely off site. I could get event insurance as a 'thing' for my replacement loss if it was destroyed buy could not get any insurance to cover me if some kid fell off it and broke his neck. So Harry, not only can't you drive them anymore, you can't even risk showing them.

Henry, go loud and go political. Raise a stink especially against the 'representative' that wouldn't even sign that letter with a name.

Last edited by Bruce Parker (RIP); 14-09-22 at 01:02.
Old 14-09-22, 01:30
GM Fox I

From the bulletin, it talks about inspections for 'non-conforming' military vehicles with no (CMVSS) or (FMVSS) label. t says they can be inspected but must be over 8,200kg. Now it could be that the inspection over that weight becomes so onerous you'd have to rebuild the HUP up to modern standards but it certainly allows inspection (but not unfettered use). Does the HUP exceed 8,200kg?

In any event, your letter writer is saying there's a ban on military vehicle inspections and that is not what the bulletin says, so maybe that's a starting point for an objection?

Is there a 'historic' plate"? Does this mean $35,000 MB jeeps are now undriveable????

An excerpt from 04-2021:

Re: Ex-Military Vehicles
This bulletin replaces the Ex-Military Utility Vehicle Inspections Bulletin 01-21 issued February 2, 2021.
The purpose of this bulletin is to clarify if an ex-military vehicle may be inspected under Division 25 of
the Motor Vehicle Act Regulation, B.C. Reg. 26/58 (the “MVAR”).
If an ex-military vehicle displays either a Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) or Federal
Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) label of compliance, it may be inspected under Division 25 in
the following cases:
• under Part 1 if the vehicle has a licensed gross vehicle weight greater than 8,200kg,
• under Part 3, if salvaged, or altered as described in Part 3, or
• under Part 4 if (a) the vehicle is registered, titled or licensed, or was previously registered, titled
or licensed, at a place outside British Columbia, (b) is presented to ICBC for registration, and
(c) has a net vehicle weight of not more than 3 500 kg

Non-conforming ex-military vehicles

A “non-conforming ex-military vehicle” means a vehicle that was not designed to conform to the
standards prescribed in the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) for motor vehicles designed for use on a
highway at the time the vehicle was manufactured. Non-conforming ex-military vehicles will not have a
CMVSS or FMVSS label of compliance.
A non-conforming ex-military vehicle can ONLY be inspected under MVAR Division 25 Part 1 if its
licensed gross vehicle weight is greater than 8,200kg. Even if a non-conforming ex-military vehicle
passes inspection, it is not authorized for unrestricted highway use.

From the MB-C2 manual a C8A is Max Gross Rate 7,500lbs, C-15A 10,000, C60L 15,7000 and C-GT 13,200 none of which are over 8,200kg (kg ~ 2.2 lbs). So unless smaller ones are classed as not military or allowed as antiques which negates 'military' it seems there is room for the big trucks but not the smaller ones. At least somebody in that department should clarify what all this means and if they are interpreting it correctly.

Last edited by Bruce Parker (RIP); 14-09-22 at 02:12.
Old 14-09-22, 03:32
carrier mech

I would like to think of this as a mis-communication. They talk about the CMVSS/FMVSS decals, but those didn't really come into play until the 70s I believe. I would get a hold of the originator of these bulletins, Geoff Ford. His email and phone number are on the net See: https://dir.gov.bc.ca/gtds.cgi?esear...bjectId=128573

If that doesn't work out (and it can be tough working with bureaucrats, although there are some good ones out there) then talk to your member of the legislature.
Old 14-09-22, 23:15

Default Lawfare

There have been lots of discussions with this monolith but no movement. A lawyer has already been engaged and funds are being raised. Up to now it's mainly been Humvee's
Old 15-09-22, 00:24
Terry Warner

My quick read was light vehicles are exempt, as are heavy ones. Which leaves a bracket in the middle falling under the bulletin's effect. If the object is to ban Humvees, that would be one way. But .... there is that age old English common law principle of The Common Law, meaning the king cannot make a law against one person.

I'd challenge on another angle too, a heavy surplus truck working on a job site, a remote quarry, or other business is much less likely to be in tip-top repair than a commercially sourced vehicle. There are Ford and Kenworth parts suppliers everywhere in the civilized world - but not Bedford, Oshkosh or REO Studebaker dealers.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!