MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 05-03-07, 13:37
MLU Administrator

Default canadiankangaroos.ca

New site dedicated to the First Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment, by our own Bill Miller: http://www.canadiankangaroos.ca

Well done Bill, looks very promising!

Regards,
Hanno
Old 06-03-07, 04:47
Proud Grandson of a Roo!

Yes I agree Hanno, Bill has done an amazing job of gathering information for the 1CACR. It has become a "second" full time job for him.

I will be checking the site often for his updates and looking forward to reading the war diaries as they relate to my Grandpa's travels. I have also e-mailed all my families to share as well.

So I to congratulate Bill on all his hard work. He does the 1CACR proud in the way that he wants to record their story.

Thanks!
Old 12-03-07, 06:34
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Unhappy Sad news...

Not the way I would have preferred to have launched the site.

Unfortunately another Kangaroo has passed away. L/Cpl. Grant Herbison (L105686) of Regina, Saskatchewan. Mr. Herbison was 93.

http://www.canadiankangaroos.ca/Site...539C337FB.html

As for the new kangaroos site, I'll be adding new content weekly. The September 1944 War Diaries are now online. If photos of the actual tanks are conspicuously absent, it is no accident. This "kangaroo" site is mainly just about the men, like Mr. Herbison.

Thanks for the support guys.

Bill.
Old 12-03-07, 22:57
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Sad news...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Miller
Sorry about blowing you cover, Bill! I did not intend to do any harm. When I found the link on ramtank.ca I was so enthusiastic I decided to post it here.

Congrats on a job well done.

H.
Old 12-03-07, 22:58
MLU Administrator

Quote:
This "kangaroo" site is mainly just about the men, like Mr. Herbison.
And a fitting tribute it is.

RIP, Mr. Herbison

Hanno
Old 13-03-07, 00:41
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default No worries Hanno!

Hi Hanno,

You didn't blow my cover... it was as they say the advertising biz, a "soft launch". Basically, I didn't really see a need to shout it from the roof-tops until I got some useful or interesting content on there. With my crazy work schedule, the site will evolve, but at a slow pace.

What I meant by "preferred way to launch" in my previous post, was I would have rather started out with some good news to post and not an obituary.

No harm, no foul. Hopefully I have some happy stories to post in the coming weeks! Check in frequently, I'll be adding to the "archive" portion weekly.

Bill.
Old 15-03-07, 08:00
Vets Dottir

Quote:

Unfortunately another Kangaroo has passed away. L/Cpl. Grant Herbison (L105686) of Regina, Saskatchewan. Mr. Herbison was 93.

http://www.canadiankangaroos.ca/Site...539C337FB.html

As for the new kangaroos site, I'll be adding new content weekly. The September 1944 War Diaries are now online. If photos of the actual tanks are conspicuously absent, it is no accident. This "kangaroo" site is mainly just about the men, like Mr. Herbison.

Thanks for the support guys.

Bill.
Hi Bill,

It's great to see that you've got your website going and growing for your Kangaroos. Wonderful stuff to see and read and I'm glad you've done this.

It is, ever, sad to say goodbye to so many amazing people ... we're soon to be the eldest generation, and I know in my own family on my Mom's sid, there are NONE of her generation left. I am of the oldest generation now, for Mom's side. I really feel that a lot. Maybe thats part of my draw and hook to people like you all in here with the history, and of the history ... keeping close before its too late.

Anyways, I hope you're well Bill

Karmen
Old 19-04-07, 05:09
Vets Dottir 2nd

Bill,

Your site is becoming and looking more and more wonderful all the time as you add content. Wonderful stuff!!!

Karmen
Old 19-04-07, 06:44
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Smile Thanks!

Hi Karmen,

Thanks for the support. I've been way too busy at work to really give the site much attention, but I do try for an update every 10 days or so. Lots of really interesting things happening behind the scenes though. I have met with one of the sons of the late Mr. Herbison mentioned above and found an eye-popping treasure trove of photos...

I'm going to tease you with that but I guarantee there are photos of the Kangaroos at work and play that are nothing short of amazing! We are going to get the original negatives scanned professionally very soon. The actual camera that Mr. Herbison's used to take the photos still survives as well!

I also got a very nice letter yesterday from a CDL driver with the 49RTR (British kangaroos) which turned up some surprises too! Mr. Harry Tatchell and some of the other "Canadian" Kangaroos have been in touch too and are bringing forth some great photos, memorabilia and contacts to long lost veterans too!

...I just need about 72 hours in a day to get everything done. I can't actually get to writing very much as new stuff comes in weekly! And of course my day job is getting in the way, unfortunately that is what pays for the "fun" stuff.

Keep checking in... all will be revealed in good time (well eventually)

Bill.