MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The MLU Sappers Mess

Notices

Old 30-11-08, 04:29
Derek Heuring

Default R.C.N. plant

Here's a picture of a Royal Canadian Navy Torpedo carrier shot during a WWII parade. It appears to be a self-propelled crane with suspiciously CMP-like rims. Perhaps it was built from the chassis of a CMP? I have no info regarding this picture, but a clue to region might be the name of the hotel which is "New England", further, the sign on the crane says 21" Torpedo...Used on Canadian Warships...carries 750 lbs TNT. Any ex-swabbies out there have any idea of the manufacturer of this crane?

CHIMO! Derek.
Attached Thumbnails
Canada torpedo carrier.jpg  
Old 30-11-08, 15:56
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default C 60 Wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper740 View Post
Here's a picture of a Royal Canadian Navy Torpedo carrier shot during a WWII parade. It appears to be a self-propelled crane with suspiciously CMP-like rims. Perhaps it was built from the chassis of a CMP? I have no info regarding this picture, but a clue to region might be the name of the hotel which is "New England", further, the sign on the crane says 21" Torpedo...Used on Canadian Warships...carries 750 lbs TNT. Any ex-swabbies out there have any idea of the manufacturer of this crane?

CHIMO! Derek.
Derrek.
That appears to be a C 60S wrecker..with the swabbie to the far right,sitting on the torpedo with his legs in the front window,drivers side..the hoist is definably C60S hoisting gear..with mod brackets to carry the torp..
Seems doable to me..
Old 30-11-08, 17:23
Derek Heuring

Default Probably is a 60cwt.

Although two Mk X or Mk XI torpedoes, especially when also considering the weight of the crane would exceed the GVW of the vehicle, not that overloading a CMP has ever stopped anyone before. I'm thinking this is an East Coast picture, based upon the Hotel New England sign. I'm going to contact my wife's uncle in Halifax to see if he has any wartime memories of such vehicles or hotel. His father, my wife's grandfather was Capt. Angus Bowdridge who was the skipper of the R.C.N. auxilliary ship, the S.S. Riverton. The Riverton's main duty, between shepherding ships in and out, was to operate and maintain the antisub nets at the mouth of the harbour. Post war, Capt. Bowdridge and the Riverton transported special docking facilities between Newfoundland and the mainland for Queen Elizabeth II's inaugural visit to Canada aboard the Brittania. Derek.