MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 25-03-15, 04:23
GM Fox I

Default '37 Pattern shoulder strap

I'm looking to find a right side mate for this '37 pattern shoulder strap, or a matched pair with the same markings and/or similar style. Any help most appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02384.jpg  
Old 26-03-15, 00:21
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
I'm looking to find a right side mate for this '37 pattern shoulder strap, or a matched pair with the same markings and/or similar style. Any help most appreciated.
The counterpart is ZA.27916 Braces, R.H., No.2 and it's simply a composite of a standard '37 haversack shoulder strap with buckles and a hook added. It's the second pattern carrying harness for the WS18 (and similar) or WS22.

I have one with the original ZN.210x number that was for the modified cross strap harness, so I assume it was renumbered later on to avoid confusion.

I'd be inclined to get a matching RH haversack strap by the same manufacturer and add the correct stores code for its new application. An original is likely to be very hard to find.

Chris.
Old 26-03-15, 01:20
GM Fox I

Agreed!! I'd be happy to find a single or pair of regular straps that matches the style as shown. Harnesses for wireless sets seems to be ether a confusing double set of straps or two straps that are the same as used on small and large packs. The later used a simple brass buckle to fix the brass hook. It's he 'V' and sewn on tab style of shoulder strap that I'm after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz View Post
The counterpart is ZA.27916 Braces, R.H., No.2 and it's simply a composite of a standard '37 haversack shoulder strap with buckles and a hook added. It's the second pattern carrying harness for the WS18 (and similar) or WS22.

I have one with the original ZN.210x number that was for the modified cross strap harness, so I assume it was renumbered later on to avoid confusion.

I'd be inclined to get a matching RH haversack strap by the same manufacturer and add the correct stores code for its new application. An original is likely to be very hard to find.

Chris.
Old 26-03-15, 10:41

Best bet is to try ebay mate. Just search P37 L strap or you could get a repro one from Soldier of Fortune.

Chris
MB jeep #227875
42 WC-56 Command Car
Old 29-03-15, 21:41
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Agreed!! I'd be happy to find a single or pair of regular straps that matches the style as shown. Harnesses for wireless sets seems to be ether a confusing double set of straps or two straps that are the same as used on small and large packs. The later used a simple brass buckle to fix the brass hook. It's he 'V' and sewn on tab style of shoulder strap that I'm after.
That style of strap just means it wasn't made by Mills Equipment Co., who (I think) were the only people with machinery that could weave variable-width webbing.

It should be possible (and maybe even cheap) to get an unissued pair of pack straps by the same maker, and my RH strap with the ZN.2107 stores code is not actually marked with such, I think it's still got the W.E 37 "AA" stores code printed on it.

Chris.
Old 29-03-15, 22:59

Default Shoulder Strap

The ZA code indicates that this Shoulder Straps was used with wireless or mine detecting equipment. The code number will reference to the specific piece of equipment it was issued with.
Old 30-03-15, 00:14
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Storey View Post
The ZA code indicates that this Shoulder Straps was used with wireless or mine detecting equipment. The code number will reference to the specific piece of equipment it was issued with.
Thanks Ed. It came attached to a W/T 22 set but appears to be a regular L strap in every way other than the ZA number. Perhaps the difference was that it would have come with a buckle and brass hook at the 1" lower end. I'd settle for a regular one in lieu of a correctly marked one just to complete the set.
Old 30-03-15, 00:42
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Thanks Ed. It came attached to a W/T 22 set but appears to be a regular L strap in every way other than the ZA number. Perhaps the difference was that it would have come with a buckle and brass hook at the 1" lower end. I'd settle for a regular one in lieu of a correctly marked one just to complete the set.
Did the set come with the later pattern waist belt? (If not, it will be something of a pig to wear.)

The WS22 Identification List has the whole assembly as "Braces, Carrying, No.1 Mk.II as follows:

Z1/ZA.21524 Belts, Waist, No.2
Z1/ZA.27917 Braces, L.H., No.2
Z1/ZA.27916 Braces, R.H., No.2
Z1/ZA.12593 Hooks, Flat, 1-in

and then (annotated n.p. for Not Provisioned)

AA.0374 Buckles, Brass, 1-in
AA.1711 Straps, Shoulder, Haversack, W.E. Pattern, '37 Left
AA.1712 Straps, Shoulder, Haversack, W.E. Pattern, '37 Right

Going by the line drawing, the haversack straps come with both buckles fitted, and I think the list is incorrect as the 1-in buckle (marked n.p.) is shown with the waistbelt - I think it should be the flat hooks marked n.p.instead, as that would make rather more sense.

Chris.
Old 03-04-15, 21:39
GM Fox I

Thanks again Chris. Your information is sorting this out for me. At the risk of hijacking my own thread I took these pics. It seems the original harness was unique to radio sets but was later simplified to use standard '37 Pattern L straps. The mine detector uses L straps as well except they have extra web tabs that I think may be for an additional chest strap.

Here's pics of the set-up on a No.4 Mine Detector, Supply Unit No.5, Wireless Set No.18 (no numbers on the straps but marked M.E.Co. 1942) and the 22 set harness I'm trying to complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz View Post
Did the set come with the later pattern waist belt? (If not, it will be something of a pig to wear.)

The WS22 Identification List has the whole assembly as "Braces, Carrying, No.1 Mk.II as follows:

Z1/ZA.21524 Belts, Waist, No.2
Z1/ZA.27917 Braces, L.H., No.2
Z1/ZA.27916 Braces, R.H., No.2
Z1/ZA.12593 Hooks, Flat, 1-in

and then (annotated n.p. for Not Provisioned)

AA.0374 Buckles, Brass, 1-in
AA.1711 Straps, Shoulder, Haversack, W.E. Pattern, '37 Left
AA.1712 Straps, Shoulder, Haversack, W.E. Pattern, '37 Right

Going by the line drawing, the haversack straps come with both buckles fitted, and I think the list is incorrect as the 1-in buckle (marked n.p.) is shown with the waistbelt - I think it should be the flat hooks marked n.p.instead, as that would make rather more sense.

Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
A Mine Detector Mo.4.jpg   A SU No.5.jpg   A WT No.18.jpg   A WT No.22.jpg