MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 04-12-06, 22:38
David Gordon

Default Left hand shift knobs and Signal Flare Bins

Hey Guys,

A friend has just sent me a batch of goodies to sell for him. Included were a couple of British and Commonwealth vehicle bits that might be of interest or need to some of you.

One item is NOS shifter knobs with the patterns on them. These were intended for carriers but they probably fit trucks as well. I tried one on my T-16 shifter and it fit perfect.

The other item is the signal flare box that almost every British and Commonwealth truck and carrier had mounted on it somewhere. They are a little dirty from long storage but appear unissued from what I can tell.

Only have a handful of each and he says there are no more to be had since he has had them for years and never found any others. Goods are in the USA. Photos and prices can be seen on the link below.

http://www.visualcollector.com/Tommy...myStuff.htm#C3
Old 05-12-06, 03:18
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

David, do you have a side-on or rear view of the Flare Cartridge box that shows the mounting tabs?
Old 05-12-06, 03:24
David Gordon

I'm just headed out to get a tin to shoot more photos for Jordan and will add them to the photos on-line within the hour.

They all have the mounting tabs and the canvas lifting release on the lid though.
Old 05-12-06, 03:37
David Gordon

http://www.visualcollector.com/Tommy...f/FlareBox.jpg

Link above is the updated photo I added to the previous web site showing all the stuff.
Old 05-12-06, 05:30

Hi David and all

This thread from the UC forum has some pictures that show the differences between the CDN made flare bins and the Aussie ones.

The two that I can see are the mounting points. The CDN one is on the side whereas the Aussie one is one the bottom. The other is the spring clip to keep the lid closed. The CDN one has that standard spring steel external clip whereas the Aussie one looks to be internal.

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...0&pagenumber=1
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 05-12-06, 14:37
David Gordon

Yep, the other thread has great shots showing the mounting points for both patterns of carrier with the Aussie mounted vertical up front and the Canadian mounted horizontal in the rear with the wireless. Based on the location of the mounting tabs, all of the bins that I have are Aussie types.

I think the tabs could be relocated fairly easily by someone with a welder as they are only connected at the leading edge on each one. We'd need to know the exact placement though so would need someone with an original Canadian pattern to post where they are located.

The lid on these all have an external metal spring clip that is in the front under where the canvas pull tab is located if that helps.
Old 20-04-07, 18:34
David Gordon

I'm sure that several members that follow carrier parts on eBay will have seen that one of the flare bins sold this week in Australia for $292US dollars. Link to the ended listing is below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1620&rd=1&rd=1

Wanted to let you guys know that I still have three of these left of the twelve that were available earlier in the year. I'm still asking $120US for each if interested. One of the three is currently running on eBay with a $120 reserve in case you happen onto that one and wondered about it.

No point paying 2-3 times as much for one of these while they are available for much less and in the same New Old Stock condition.
Old 21-04-07, 04:42
carrier mech

HA! I ordered mine last week. The one on e-bay got me thinking as to why I was fence sitting on this....and that was before it crossed the $120 mark.
I'll have to do the Canadian conversions to it, but hopefully the bulk of the box was made against the same basic British/Commonwealth drawings.
Old 21-04-07, 06:18

Hi David

I sent you an email via your visual collector site in regards to these bins.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 22-04-07, 00:38
David Gordon

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-Armor-Bren-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Link above is the flare bin running on eBay. Reserve is $120 with $150 Buy-It-Now.

Its the last one I have available and I have no leads on any others so get it while you can if you need one.

I still have a few more of the New Old Stock shifter knobs for the British/Canadian 4-speed trucks and carriers if anyone is interested.