MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 13-04-19, 18:48

Default Canadian DND Certificate of Variance

I need a little help understanding the information on this document.

It looks as if somebody in November, 1968, requisitioned a complete Wireless Set No. 52 from 561 BSS Petawawa. This document is interesting because it lists the NATO Stock Numbers for the complete set and the Sender (Transmitter). It also lists the NSN for a Case Electrical CL# 158024 (which I am guessing at this point might be the Carrier No.4, because of its fitted electrical connector across the upper back of it).

I am curious about the issuing unit at Petawawa. Was it strictly a Base Supply Depot, or a Central Depot covering a larger area?

If the actual item “Case Elec CL# 158024” could be identified, the CAR IDENTIFICATION NUMBER 00016 could be explained, and the COLUMN OF EIS NO. 1300 explained, that would be a great help as well.

David
Attached Thumbnails
DND Certificate of VarianceIMG_0822.jpg  
Old 13-04-19, 22:10
carrier mech

The NSN 5820-21-103-8721 would identify the "case electrical". There is a checklist for that case....the checklist entitlement in this case is S58024. Normally the deviation record should now show the demand number for the missing items from the original set (the case and the transmitter) and later be amended once the stores were received, bringing the deficiency to zero.

I have filled hundreds of similar forms over the years when I would be issuing tool boxes or vehicles.

I have microfiche form the 80s which would provide more info on the NSN items, however I am not sure I kept pages up to the higher electrical stock classes.

It won't be a CAR number for this set....more likely it is just an assigned set or serial number. CAR numbers were for larger equipment like trucks, trailers and artillery. This same form would be used to issue a vehicle.
Old 14-04-19, 00:02
Centurion nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
It looks as if somebody in November, 1968, requisitioned a complete Wireless Set No. 52 from 561 BSS Petawawa.

I am curious about the issuing unit at Petawawa. Was it strictly a Base Supply Depot, or a Central Depot covering a larger area?

... the CAR IDENTIFICATION NUMBER 00016 could be explained, and the COLUMN OF EIS NO. 1300 explained, that would be a great help as well.
The Base Supply Section would supply all of the CF personnel and units within the designated CFB Petawawa support area, Regular and Reserve. The supply depot for Ontario was in Cobourg (since closed).

I don't know what the 561 stands for.

CAR ID or Serial Number. I'm guessing that the sets were numbered locally and this one was #16 out of all the sets in the storeroom.

The set was issued complete with equipment as listed in EIS 1300 with the exceptions of the items listed below. Now you need to find a copy of EIS 1300.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 14-04-19, 00:33
carrier mech

Dan

I agree with your assessment with perhaps the exception of the EIS 1300. We still use the S numbers even to this day (ie: S51017 is the checklist entitlement for a field mechanics basic tool box), but I'm not sure I recall simple 4 digit numbers like the 1300.

I'll have to watch on some of the old checklists as I come across them.
Old 14-04-19, 01:36
Centurion nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I agree with your assessment with perhaps the exception of the EIS 1300. We still use the S numbers even to this day (ie: S51017 is the checklist entitlement for a field mechanics basic tool box), but I'm not sure I recall simple 4 digit numbers like the 1300.
It was my best guess. I'll gladly defer to those more learned. I was thinking it might refer to a Canadian Army item, no longer in use, but still in use in '68.

Thanks,
Dan.
Old 19-04-19, 01:34
carrier mech

Well I stand corrected. I found an old scale of issue for the Cno7 rifle sitting on my desk. Right at the top: "Equipment issue scale 3023" . So it would seem that there was a 4 digit code for each EIS.