MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 23-01-14, 03:57

Default WS 19 spare tube box

I never noticed before but there seems to be two different model of boxes and slightly different tube configuration.

Not sure if one was early and one was later in production...... the better one seems to be the one with the hook latch.... the webbing inside is heavier and they have felt booties for some of the tubes.

Check the content map from the inside cover.... it shows the minor difference in tube content.

Is there another version/model..?

Bob C

Oooops ...I cannot post pictures......apparently I am missing a security token ....... HANNO Help ..... is this a complication because I am using Windows 7....???

PS Solution as pointed out by my wife. In my new Windows 7 once I have choosen a file I MUST go below where the acceptable format are lsited....and click JPEG before pressing the upload box...... and it works.
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 23-01-14 at 17:00.
Old 23-01-14, 04:09

Default One more try ....

let's see if this works..... thanks to my wife
Attached Thumbnails
aDSC05883resized.jpg   bDSC05907resized.jpg   cDSC05916resized.jpg  
Canada
Old 23-01-14, 04:35

Default Bob

I don't think you are seeing the results of progressive evolution in design of this box. Rather just the variations in concurrent production across a number of manufacturers in Canada, England and the USA. I have seen the two variations you have noted, as well as a snap fit lid style and a luggage clasp style. A similar variation also occurs with the Spare Parts Box.

I have only ever seen the two variations in tube packing you have mentioned and both are displayed on the cloth padding in side the lid. Some makers used strips of black 'roofing felt' wrapped around the valves, in two different patterns and at least one other manufacturer used felt cloth 'booties' on each individual valve.

David
Old 23-01-14, 20:20
Kostas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
...Not sure if one was early and one was later in production...... the better one seems to be the one with the hook latch.... the webbing inside is heavier and they have felt booties for some of the tubes.
Υes, I think the same..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Case Spare Valves with Valves -_MLU.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	62988
1940 NORTON 16H (project waiting)
Old 23-01-14, 23:37
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
I don't think you are seeing the results of progressive evolution in design of this box. Rather just the variations in concurrent production across a number of manufacturers in Canada, England and the USA. I have seen the two variations you have noted, as well as a snap fit lid style and a luggage clasp style. A similar variation also occurs with the Spare Parts Box.

I have only ever seen the two variations in tube packing you have mentioned and both are displayed on the cloth padding in side the lid. Some makers used strips of black 'roofing felt' wrapped around the valves, in two different patterns and at least one other manufacturer used felt cloth 'booties' on each individual valve.

David
The left hand case is U.S. made, since it has VT-nnn valve/tube numbering in the diagram, the right hand one is probably Canadian. US and Canadian cases have a metal tray with sockets to hold the contents, British made cases (Case, Spare Valves, No.4G) have either sponge rubber or impregnated card inserts. Quite often the contents are still in their waxed paper bags in the latter insert - most likely post-WW2.

I think the felt "booties" or socks were intended to protect the operator's fingers when changing valves - either from a hot envelope or (more likely) broken glass - since there are only four in the cases that I have.

The "cube" type case was common to a large variety of equipment, from the R106 (HRO receiver) which had Case 4A through to the WS62 (4K) and (I think) SR C12 (4L). Case No.5 used the same shell but had a wooden insert to hold 4 x 807 and a small block for replacement lamps and fuses. This was used with the British WS19HP (Amplifier, R.F., No.2).

The 4G case was also used for the WS22, with a different content list, and some of them are stencilled 19/22 on the lid (between the handle and front edge).

Chris.
Old 24-01-14, 03:51

Default Chris

I was told many years back by a neighbour of my Grandparents, who was a retired Lt. Col from the Signals during the war, that the felt wrapping and booties were to protect the valves from breakage caused by impacting one another in the case during rough transit. He could not recall if this protection was common from the start, or something added to production at some later point, based on field experience.

David
Old 10-02-18, 01:37

I was looking at two cases of mine this morning and realized they are similar to the two Bob posted photos of.

I have a similar pair. Neither has a C-Broad Arrow Stamp anywhere on them. One came with an American made Mk II 19-Set finished in No. 2 Brown that does have the C- Broad Arrow Stamp on the Set and PSU Cases. The other is a stand alone case finished in a wrinkle OD Green.

What I have just noticed is that the one case was issued with a pair of spare E1148 Valves (the wrinkle OD Green case). In the second case (in No. 2 Brown), the uppermost E1148 is replaced with an additional 6K7G. Never noticed this before and now I am wondering why. Were there problems with E1148's early in production that required the 19-Set be issued with 2 spares?

I don't think I have ever seen a Canadian made Spare Valves Case with two E1148's, unless this was with very early production as well?

David
Old 10-02-18, 04:26

Default Digging the past.....

Hi David.....

I had to go back to read the threads...it's been so long..... what I remember most about the early of 2014 are the months spent indoor hooked up to an oxygen machine while enjoying pneumonia...... but I licked it!!!!

Cheers
Canada
Old 10-02-18, 16:40

Glad you did, Bob.

I trolled eBay this morning and found three more American made Spare Valve Cases for the 19-Set. All the same wrinkle OD Green, with brass hook closures, and all of them show the second E1148 valve to the right of the 807 Valve position. This is really intriguing me now.

If the American 19-Set production was mostly, or all, MkII related, it raises some questions.

(1) Did all Mk II 19-Set Spare Valve Cases made in Canada and the USA have two E1148 Valves, and if so, why?

(2) What improvements were made between the Mk II and Mk III 19-Sets that allowed for only one E1148 spare valve and an extra 6K7G to be added?

(3) Was the pair of E1148 valves unique to American production only, and if so why?

(4) If all Mk II 19-Set Spare Valve Cases were issued with two E1148’s, has anyone ever seen a Canadian made case with this configuration?

David
Old 11-02-18, 00:02

Default Based on actual usage demands....

Hi David

You would think that the availability or number of spare valves would be determined by actual front line or training experience yet the PS has 3 identical valves and there are not 3 spares...... when I read on replacing these valves they strongly suggest testing them so that the output parameters are matched or as close as possible. Maybe matching valves for output is a peace time luxury and in real front line you keep replacing tubes until the set works.....

Or could more than one spare box of valves be carried........

My dad who in the fifties ...use to service radios and early TV and he had a tester which I believe he used to identify really dead tubes or impress customers ( remember they did house calls in those days )...bottom line you replaced tubes until the set worked again...even good ones on the tester did not mean 100% the set would work...or again a matching issue with other valves in the set.

I have acquired a few good military testing units that actually assess outputs but you still verify the reading of one tester against the reading of the second tester to be sure......then you have good valves that are loose in the bakelite sockets which reads as good....... or loose pins!!!! always been tempted to leak a few drops of crazy glue in the sockets to salvage some good ones...... I even have sockets that fits in the tester sockets to save on wear and tear of the testers and to straighten pins.

Still quite a stock still available on Ebay particularly source from behind the iron curtain (former USSR ) where I believe some are still being produced. I visited a private residence of a guy in Ottawa who purchased the total stock of a shop that was closing..... he had upstairs bedrooms in a very nice house... filled with shelving units and tubes from floor to ceilings and spare cardboard boxes for the tubes....... YES he was widowed and lived alone!!!!!

I remember my dad throwing out some of the early 20s huge valves which we used as grenades when playing soldiers... they popped real nice.....what a shame.....

Bob C.
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 11-02-18 at 00:09.