MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 26-01-19, 19:03
Rick Overy

Default No 18 wireless mount in Mk II Carrier

Can anyone help me with the fitting of a No.18 set wireless in a Mk II carrier?
Some stowage diagrams for the Mk II universal show a 18 set wireless in the left rear corner. From these and some information in Nigel’s book it would appear the radio is mounted above the stowage box over the petrol tank, with its back to the rear protection plate with the static battery and spare valve case alongside it against the side protection plate. There are two brackets, one on the stowage box and one on the track guard at the left rear, (similar to but which differ in detail from the one on the right track guard for mounting the 19 set across the seat in the Mk II). It would also appear that a ‘carrier number two’ mounts above these and I assume takes the set and battery and stretches between the two brackets.
Does anyone have details of this ‘carrier Number 2’? i.e.photo, dimensions etc
Also how do you fill the fuel tank with a radio in this position as you would not be able to open the stowage box lid?
Thanks
Rick Overy
Old 26-01-19, 19:34
Bluebell

Rick, I don't know about the radio stuff but I believe that some of the later carriers were changed so that the filler was at the front of the tank.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 27-01-19, 14:55

Hi Rick,
I have been trying to source the very same information as you for some time. There is a line drawing in 'Wireless for the Warrior' which shows the layout of the wireless set, static battery and accessories, I have attached this drawing, a photo of the static battery complete with cable and the brackets you describe in the vehicle but beyond that I have drawn a blank. I have like you tried posts here and on the wireless forum to no avail, I have also tried the Royal Signals museum and have spoken to all the wireless enthusiasts at various shows but no one seems to know anything about this fitting. From the picture it seems that the 18 set itself is held in a 'carrier No2' which looks exactly the same as the sort also used on the airborne jeeps. This part is available as a repro from 'WWII Fabrications' who are in the UK and describe it as 'Wireless set carrier (modification No7). However this carrier and the static battery are mounted on what is only described as a 'metal plate' and it is that part which eludes me! The static battery is extremely rare though I have managed to find one but still need the cable described as 'Connector 5 point No6' The spare valve case is easily found and the webbing arrangement can be made. It is my belief that the 'metal plate' to which all these parts fit has an upturned edge or a frame with two holes in it which fit onto the two pointed pegs on the brackets in the vehicle, at the other end of these fittings are two threaded holes for presumably hand removable bolts like the ones which hold the engine covers on, this would make the whole assembly easily removable for refuelling.
Some of this is an educated guess unless anyone else knows more?
Attached Thumbnails
img008.jpg   sam_3715.jpg   Photo0349.jpg  

1944 Matchless G3L
1944 No2 MK2* UC
10 CWT GS trailer
1944 BSA M20
Royal Enfield RE125 'Flying Flea'
Old 27-01-19, 15:15
Rick Overy

Thanks Mike, that is very helpful.
I had also seen the repro carrier and had thought I might have a go at making my own in due course. However still need to sort the base plate problem.
So the search for more info continues. if I get any further I will let you know
cheers
Rick
Old 27-01-19, 15:21

Rick,
I think it might be a case of making what seems to be right and fits to get the wireless in the vehicle until/if more info comes to light.
Cheers

1944 Matchless G3L
1944 No2 MK2* UC
10 CWT GS trailer
1944 BSA M20
Old 27-01-19, 16:37

Hi Rick.

Have you tried emailing Louis Meulstree directly to see what documentation he has on file for the No. 18-set Installation in the Carrier? The diagrams he has published must have come from something in his files and they might contain a lot more information than he can publish.

He is very approachable so it is worth a shot.

David
Old 27-01-19, 17:35

In Nigel Watson’s Universal Carrier v2 book he has a couple of pictures of a WS18 in a Carrier. The photo credits are given for the REME Museum, UK. It might be worthwhile contacting them.
Attached Thumbnails
E1775781-6390-48B2-8364-673802F68DFB.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 27-01-19, 18:47

well spotted Jordan, despite the caption it looks as if the 18 set is just sitting in the fold down seat frame rather than in the No2 carrier. I have discussed this wireless fitting with Nigel previously but he does not have any more info than already shown on this thread. The REME museum is only an hour and a half away from me so could well be my next visit.
Cheers

1944 Matchless G3L
1944 No2 MK2* UC
10 CWT GS trailer
1944 BSA M20
Old 27-01-19, 23:23
Rick Overy

Thanks Jordan
Thats interesting. Its the front end of the left hand compartment rather than the rear end mounting, but this set up would still allow a 19 set in the right compartment for the carrier to be used in a infantry battalion command role.
Rick

Universal Carrier MkI*
Universal Carrier MkII*
Chevrolet CMP gun tractor
Ford Jeep
Daimler dingo (project)
Old 28-01-19, 00:40

Default 18/68 set carrier

For those wishing to make there own carrier then drawings are on attachments.
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0424.jpg   IMG_0425.jpg   IMG_0426.jpg   IMG_0427.jpg   IMG_0428.jpg  

Old 28-01-19, 10:44

Hi, I always believed that these "quick lock" holders were universal and used mainly for the No.19 set and Chorehorse generator. Wireless set in the right front (above the seat) and generator in the left rear position. But could be also in a different way, possibly also with the No.18 set.
Attached pics of the holders on my Mk.III.
Also the fillers of the fuel tank are on the late Mk.IIs and Mk.IIIs designed on the opposite way as mentioned.
Just my thoughts hope it helps a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
set.jpg   set1.jpg  
Old 28-01-19, 13:17
Rick Overy

Thanks Jon, those drawings are really useful. Petr and Lynn - I didn't know about the altered filler cap on the later carriers, but it makes sense with the stowage box with two lids, if the box is also reversed
Rick

Universal Carrier MkI*
Universal Carrier MkII*
Chevrolet CMP gun tractor
Ford Jeep
Daimler dingo (project)
Old 28-01-19, 21:54

Interesting thought - the 19 set and/or chore horse charging units were fitted in these locations in the Carrier according to the stowage diagrams, how were they secured? Does anyone have a picture of the fittings used and do they secure to the two brackets? May be the same or at least basically similar to the one used for the 18 set.
Cheers

1944 Matchless G3L
1944 No2 MK2* UC
10 CWT GS trailer
1944 BSA M20