MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 05-01-19, 01:51
Canadian Rangers

Default Private Collector

Hey all

Has anyone heard from Tony Baker? Last I heard he was taking some time to deal with medical issues but it has been about a year or so.

Gary
M152 CDN
VW Iltis and M101 Trailer

Old 05-01-19, 10:14
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Tony

Been thinking of Tony myself. Lets hope that he's doing ok.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 05-01-19, 11:48
MLU Administrator

Here's his profile: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/member.php?u=7291

He was last online on 23-03-18

Hope he's alright.

H.
Old 06-02-19, 20:51
Canadian Rangers

Default Tony

Holy, 461 views and no one has heard from Tony. Would it be possible for someone in AUS to check on him? Not sure if anyone is close to him but I would appreciate any news of how he is doing.

Thank You
Gary
M152 CDN

Old 07-02-19, 11:20

Default Gary

I dont know Tony, but have engaged in a bit of banter with him on MLU.

I will try to track him down and find out how he is.
Old 08-02-19, 13:55

Good Morning All.

I have been in touch with Tony and he is doing OK, but has done nothing, since stepping away from MLU for a while, on either his Blitz or 1/4-Pounder projects. He has recently, however, been spending a lot of time wrapping his head around the 'care and feeding' of a brand new Nissan 370Z.

Tony definitely intends to get back onto his projects, and corresponding progress reports on MLU. Until he does have things to tell us all about, Tony would like to be able to check his Private Messages for anyone wishing to contact him. To that end, Tony has discovered a problem.

Hanno.

Whenever Tony tries logging in with his User ID and Password, he gets the usual small pop-up screen:

"Thank you for logging in, Private_collector,"
Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Then, a few seconds later, he gets bumped back to the larger vBulletin Message pop-up panel:

"You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

He reenters his User ID and Password and the loop continues.

We suspect the system recognizes his input information as correct, but he is just being temporarily blocked during his inactivity.

Can you check on that for Tony, Hanno, and if all looks OK let me know and I will pass along to Tony to try logging into his PM's again.

One other thing in the meantime.

Although Tony cannot yet be reached by a basic PM, if you select the option to send him an email directly, those will get through to him and he can reply directly to your own email service provider.

Thanks, from Tony.

David
Old 08-02-19, 14:05

Default I recognize that

Same problem I had. Persistence and entering something ( I'm not sure what) solved it. Starting a Norton clean out caused it.

Peter Simundson
Old 09-02-19, 16:01
MLU Administrator

David, thanks for contacting Tony.

I checked his account and did not encounter any problems staying logged in, so I guess he need to clear the cookies and passwords in his browser. I sent Tony an email about this, so I hope he can rejoin us soon.

Regards,
Hanno
Old 09-02-19, 16:07

Thanks, Hanno.

David
Old 10-02-19, 01:25

Default Update on Tony - his words not mine

Holy shit, I'm finally back in. I've had a whole heap of computer problems, and local wifi problems, and when I tried to respond to your message and found I wasn't able to get in, I just gave up trying after doing everything I could think of. In the end, Hanno sent me a message with password reset, but it wasn't changing anything for the better. He suggested I delete cookies and clear saved passwords. Didn't make any difference, BUT in desperation I did one thing not yet tried, ticked the 'remember me' box near next to username. Unless it's a tremendous coincidence, THAT made the difference. Still don't know why.

Have not been to MLU for nearly two years. I have been quite demoralised, being constantly going backward and forth to a local hospital, at least every 3 months. Sometimes every 2 - 6 weeks, in the early stages. When I say 'local', I mean the nearest one that still offers urology & oncology. It is a 340km round trip. Had a 6 week course of treatment that has kept me from requiring surgery. I'm still required to have 6 monthly reviews and tests, but it's better than radical surgery. Well, it is for the time being.

I have done absolutely nothing on the CMP or the 25pr. Not one thing. No motivation for it, and no stamina for heavy work. I have been slowly working on an old land rover that belonged to my Wife's late father, and as you would expect, I've given it a retro military look, which is not yet completed. Once again, it's taking me a long time to do very little.

My Wife and I have made a conscious decision to enjoy ourselves, and have taken some vacation time over past year or so. Last trip was to New Zealand, where I discovered an intolerence to constant bus travel!

Bryce has completed his mechanical engineering course, and is now fully qualified. Has been for around a year now. He is based at Amberley, and is only a 3 hour drive away, so we see him much more than when he was in Victoria.

My elderly Mother took ill in January, 2018, and had to go into permanent aged care placement at that time. She did not take to it well, and virtually sat in her room all day, doing very little. Despite opportunities for more meaningful days, she would not oblige. In September, Mums health changed dramatically. Over a period of a week, she declined rapidly, and tests confirmed she had a major heart attack that left her with very little heart function. Her GP contacted me at home, immediately after he read the test results, and I asked him to not tell anyone that same night, and I would tell Mum and the staff the following morning. The evening tbe results were discovered, was September 26th. That was Mums birthday. I didn't want her to hear such diabolical news on her birthday. I discussed it all with her the day after. Mum said she wasn't at all upset or scared about dying. Since my Brother passed away in 2013, Mums life had been joyless and empty. She said she would be glad!
not to feel so distraught any longer, and on 25th October her misery ended when she passed away at 0800hrs. I was off work that week, and would normally have been at work by that time. As it was, I got the message from my sister. We had been taking turns staying with Mum and it was my sisters shift. Mum wanted to be buried with my Brothers ashes, and after discussion, she extended that request to Dad as well. It took some time critical actions, but I managed to have Dads ashes removed from the memorial wall at the Redcliffe cemetery and got them to the funeral home in time for Mums burial. So on the day of Mums funeral, virtually all my family were buried together.

Well, that's about all the news for now. When I am able to carry on with the projects I will get back to MLU again, but for now I am spending very much less time with technology, and more with family, out and about. As I indicated in the first part of this message, there have been huge problems with technology here, including loss of the vast portion of my files, including photos and documents, when a computer went west without warning. Backup was corrupt. Still, on the greater scheme of things, it's not an earth changing event.

Bye for now, and please pass my best wishes to any other members who may wish to know.

Tony B.
Old 10-02-19, 18:41

Default Nice to hear from you......

Always followed your postings with interest .....nice to hear from you.

Priorities do change in life but the CMP and 25 pounders are always there if you ever need a break from all the mental anguish of everyday life.

Hoping things will settle down for you good luck and good health.

Bob C
Canada
Old 13-02-19, 18:54
Terry Warner

Default the problems of a full life

Tony, thank you for getting back in contact. Not that I particularly know you , but we are all here with a certain mindset. And it helps everyone to know how someone else approaches their problems.

Your thoughtfulness towards your mother is touching, and it is heartwarming to know so many of your family will now be together again.

Please don't be a stranger.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 19-02-19, 19:42
Canadian Rangers

Default Tony

Hey All

Thank you to everyone that tried to contact Tony, I appreciate your efforts, Ganmain Tony, thanks for posting the update from him, he did send me the same message so I am glad to hear he is ok.

Gary
M152 CDN

Old 20-02-19, 04:49
Bluebell

Thanks Ganmain Tony. I was happy to hear that he was doing well.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....