MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 26-08-08, 05:25

Default Vehicle Mounted PRC-77 Sets

When the PRC-77 was vehicle mounted with the AM-2060 amplifier/power supply etc, was a canvas cover ever issued for it, or was it considered waterproof enough not to bother?

Now that I think of it, was there ever a canvas cover for the C-42 set when in a vehicle?

David
Old 26-08-08, 06:02
www.REMLR.com

I don't think i've seen a cover of any sort for a 77 st. as they are a manpack radio I believe they were considered waterproof enough.

As for the C-42, not my field of knowledge, but i've not seen a cover for one of them either.
Old 26-08-08, 06:21
carrier mech

I worked with both, and there was never a cover for either. On the same token, you did not leave equipment like that out in the parking lot uncovered. The radio should not get any wetter than the operator. Between ex'es, the radios were normally pulled and stowed in the sigs room or the vehicles locker. Removal of the C-42 as a set (you could leave the top tray on and remove the PSU and the transceiver as a unit) was best left to the younger troopers....I would not try it alone today.
Old 26-08-08, 18:13
Colin

During one of my more insane moments, I swapped a PRC-10 for a useless bit of gear, it was only later I found out that apparently the PRC-10 was used in Nam as a base radio linking PRC-77's in the field. (like a relay station, does that make sense? I'm not radio/tech savy)

Wish List :
LP2, Matilda, Valentine Hull in any condition...
Old 27-08-08, 03:10
West Coaster

Default Rrb

The AN/PRC 510 set ( the Canadian version perhaps?) was capable of Radio Rebroadcast functions. It took two radios and a linking cable. Similarly the 25/77 set was also capable of this function. While I can't remember about the 510 cable, the 25 set RRB cable had a centered relay. Both setups needed to be about 25 feet appart. Possibly in the early days of Vietnam the older prick 10 was kept in the rear while the newer 25 set went forward. ??

When vehicle mounted the 25/77 set became the 125.

On another historical note Jimmy's became known as 'Zero Beats' due to the tuning tone of the 510.

JD
Old 27-08-08, 08:32
www.REMLR.com

A mounted 77 set with full ces is a AN/GRC-160 actually
Old 27-08-08, 17:53
West Coaster

OK. So why did we call it a 125? Was that the original 25set name?

JD
Old 27-08-08, 18:15
carrier mech

It's like splitting hairs really. The 25 and the 77 were not identical radios according to this site:

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_electronics_anprc25.php
Quote:
AN/PRC-25 and AN/PRC-77 in Other Configurations

There were three basic configurations of the PRC-25: starndard manpack, vehicular (called AN/VRC-53 in that configuration), and dual manpack or vehicular (AN/GRC-125 configuration). The PRC-77 also had these combinations available, but with different nomenclature as explained in the following.

AN/VRC-53 components AM-2060 Power Supply and Mounting Tray
AM-2060 Power Supply and Mounting Tray. Click image for view of complete AN/VRC-53 system.

AN/VRC-53 Radio System refers to RT-841/PRC-25 when installed in the AM-2060 Audio Amplifier/Power Supply and connected to the AS-1729/VRC Vehicular Whip Antenna. The MT-1029 Vehicle Mount is used to install the AM-2060 in a vehicle. The MT-1029 also supports use of the VIC-1 Vehicle Inter-Communication system.

AN/VRC-125 dual purpose system (vehicular or manpack) includes the vehicle set up as above, plus the ST-138 web suspenders back pack, battery set and the CW-503 accessories bag.

The AN/PRC-77 is the basic receiver-transmitter equipment used in the vehicular sets AN/VRC-64, AN/VRC-65 and AN/GRC-160.

The AN/VRC-64 is the vehicular version of the RT-841/PRC-77 portable Radio Set, consisting of: Receiver-Transmitter mounted on the Amplifier-Power Supply Group OA-3633/GRC. It also includes the AS-1729/VRC Vehicular Whip Antenna.

The AN/GRC-160 consists of an AN/PRC-77 Radio Set, including all the vehicular components covered above and as noted in the AN/VRC-64 as well as all standard Manpack accessory items. The AN/PRC-77 can be removed from the vehicle and used as a battery-operated Manpack Unit and later returned and mounted back onto the OA-3633/GRC resuming vehicular operation.
So the jist of it is a 25 in the AM 2060 tray (along with the remainder of the installation) is a AN/VRC53, whle a 77 in the 2060 tray with IKEE is a AN/GRC-160. The AN/GRC 125 is a AN/VRC53 setup with the regular manpack components issued alongside.

Thank god I use a 524 set so I don't have to remember all this.
Old 27-08-08, 20:08
West Coaster

Rob,

If you're a 524 guy then we get to ask you about 46 sets.

Easier if you just worked on a CLAK like a normal 052.

JD
Old 27-08-08, 20:23

Default 25-77 set

This is what I know... which may be very little.. but I certainly have a few nights carrying around both the 25 and 77 set man pack boat anchors...

I always knew the PRC 25 set was an older version, and the ANPRC 77 set was newer. It was reported to have had updated electronics, and a breather mounted on the battery cover. Other than looking at the tag where the serial number was (which stated 25 or 77 set) the breather was a sign of the .... 77 set.

For the RRB function, in a vehicle, the dual installation system either 2x 524s or 2x841s (77s in trays) you needed a thing called a 2299 box which, when engaged on RRB allowed the radio net to be rebrodcast.

That was a couple of years back so I may be a little rusty on some of the more complex terms like RT841/77PRC etc but I will never forget that radio.....

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures....

For all its worth

Craig Tanner
Old 29-08-08, 20:39
Terry Warner

Default vehicle mounts

The '77 manpack harness fits nicely over the passenger seat of the M38A1 jeep. Tilt the seatback and judiciously arrange the pressure points. The 10' antenna mounting unit cable (forget the name) normally connecting the AMU to the RT524 also connects to the '77. I prefered the handset of the '77 set hitched onto the '524 versus the headset and mike combination. Fewer loose pieces and it used one headset plug-in vs two. Or, keep the '524 on one freq' and monitor another on the '77 with its 10' antenna.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 31-08-08, 00:13
Dave Demorrow

the 25 is the older version of the 77.

the 77 was solid state and the 25 had to have the crystals tuned in.

in the 70s all the 25s were trasferd overseas and sold leaving the 77s for the US military

the pwr supply and the 77 is the grc-160
its all part of the VRC-1 system
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 31-08-08, 09:04

Thanks for the input so far, Gentlemen. Looks like I don't need to chase covers for the 77-Set anymore.

It has taken about five years to put together the vehicle components for my 77-Set to enable me to run the set with my PCC-2 Power Supply, thereby solving the problem of finding a reliable battery supply. I have been able to put together the complete kit, up to and including the Antenna Matching Unit MX-2799/VRC. Still trying to find a good condition Base Antenna Support AB-719/VRC to mate up to this particular AMU, but slowly we make progress.

Regards,

David
Old 31-08-08, 16:06

The Australians used the PRC 25 extensively in Vietnam but I can't recall seeing photos of a GS (general service) vehicle mounted set apart from a dedicated radio vehicle. It would seem that they simply stashed a 25 set between the seats and ran it off the set battery. Oh BTW, I have never seen a photo of any cover over the 25 set as I have been seeking answers to this same question.

Old 01-09-08, 01:02

Hi Stuart,

An interesting pic - must have dated from around 1965 as it appears to show a 37 pattern web revolver holster and lanyard, on the centre console.

Jack
Old 08-09-08, 01:03

Now that I do not need to have any more sleepless nights looking for a PRC-77 canvas cover, one other item comes to mind.

The 19-Set, 29-Set and C-42 Set all had some form of spare antenna sections storage, be it a soft canvas bag, or hard fiber tube. Was a similar item ever issued for the two 64" fiberglass antenna sections used with a vehicle mounted PRC-25 or PRC-77?

I believe the earlier antenna system would have been the AT-912 (the one I am trying to put together) or the later AS-1729. The upper antenna sections were identical for each system, but the lower ones differed as the threaded post on the antenna support spring assemblies were different diameters.

Regards,

David
Old 08-09-08, 01:10
Dave Demorrow

not down here in the lower 48.
the only time they were in a bag is when they were new, and they came in a throw away cardboard tube. but the plt sgt ot lt always had a stand alone antenna that always had extra sections in it that we would borrow the sections to replace damaged ones.
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 27-09-08, 16:49

Default Canvas covers

Hello

Yes there were Canvas covers for the 524 vehicle mounted radio and the 25 and 77 set mounted in the amplifier\ power units. These are hard to come by and i have seen them on e-bay for over $90.00 US.
They exist as i have one for my radio out of CDN DND stock.
There was a canvas bag for the fiberglass antennae's as well.

The C42 also has a canvas cover for both the radio unit and the tuning unit. These were a basic square bag with a drawstring on the bottom. I had some copied at one time from originals but have sold them off to others who needed them more than me. The antennae stuck through a grommet hole in the top of the tuning unit.

I moved away from the C42 to the 524 for my M38A1 as it is a bit lighter in weight.

Thanks
Eric
Old 27-09-08, 19:15

Default C-42

for what its worth when I operated the C-42/C-45/C-11 and the C-13 I never ever had any canvas covers issued 213 Sig-Sqn (Airportable)...never seen any in the stores either!antennas where kept in fibre glass containers.I can only speak for R/Sigs British Army regards Malcolm
Old 28-09-08, 02:34

Default for sale

i have a loud speaker for vehicle mounting which i am willing to sell brand new and works i tested it on my 77 set . make an offer !

LP2A Carrier 5004 SA Railways Islington
Old 28-09-08, 05:05
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm erik bogaert View Post
for what its worth when I operated the C-42/C-45/C-11 and the C-13 I never ever had any canvas covers issued 213 Sig-Sqn (Airportable)...never seen any in the stores either!antennas where kept in fibre glass containers.I can only speak for R/Sigs British Army regards Malcolm
There was/is a canvas cover for the RT-524A. I have one in my VHF rack.

Never seen/heard of canvas covers for RS C42 and family.

FWIW.

Regards, all.
Old 01-10-08, 18:04

Default Radio Covers C42

Maybe the radio covers were just a CDN Mod. To keep the snow out?

There are some photos in books of regular force vehicles with these covers on the C-42. Most photos i have seen did not have these covers so it was not necessarily wide spread. Maybe locally made. They were designed similar to the small generater set canvas covers.

Yes my C-42 antenna sections were in a plastic tube, the #19 set and earlier C-42 were in a cardboard type tube.

At one point i also had a large canvas bag that the collapsable mast could fit in and a smaller bag for the antenna sections. Most likely #19 set.

I have discovered that over the years that with Military vehicles,
1. just because it exists does not mean everybody used it
2. Even though a mod was not approved by DND it still might have been possible, especially with war time or overseas vehicles.

Thanks
Eric
Old 03-10-08, 10:43
Armour Owner x 3

Default 524 set

If anyone is interested I have an RT-524 with mount, antenna base (auto
tune type) cables, and mic.

No antenna elements.

Radio appears to work.

More details here:

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/lsm/dhmg/forsale6.html
Old 06-10-08, 07:24
www.REMLR.com

Bugger, outside my savings at the moment, but the 524 is exactly what I need. Why is it finances never allow when one comes up locally!!
Old 10-10-08, 04:24

For those of you with a canvas cover on your 524 or C42 Set, can you photo/posts
any markings on the cover, or write out what the markings are on a post. It is not unusual to find a lot of canvas bits at a local surplus store but have no idea what they are for when one cannot make sense of any mil codes on the item.

Thanks.

David
Old 01-11-08, 18:12
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
For those of you with a canvas cover on your 524 or C42 Set, can you photo/posts
any markings on the cover, or write out what the markings are on a post. It is not unusual to find a lot of canvas bits at a local surplus store but have no idea what they are for when one cannot make sense of any mil codes on the item.

Thanks.

David
RT-524A:

CW-653()VRC stencilled centre top. Two zippers, one each side. Front panel dome fastens to top of cover (doing that covers up the above stencil). Reinforced vent hole RHS, Rectangular vent hole on rear panel, "U" shaped dome fastened flap to left of rear panel.Securing strap w/dome fasteners located under the front panel and fastens around the handles.

HTH, regards
Old 15-11-08, 00:20

Thanks for the specs, Jon. I will see what I can spot locally now.

By the way, I have now found an AT-912 system for my PRC-77.

Thanks to everyone for your information.

David
Old 03-01-18, 07:45

Default prc77

Sorry to bring a post back from the dead but anybody knows around what year the prc77 (and variants) was retired from service? I kinda wanted to mount one on my mt500 but only if its period correct.
Thanks gents.
Old 03-01-18, 10:01

I know the 77-Set was still in use when Kapyong Barracks in Winnipeg closed and 2PPCLI relocated to Shilo, but I cannot recall what year that was at the moment.

David
Old 03-01-18, 11:00

According to google that would be 2004. Thanks for the info!