MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 24-10-16, 21:29

G'Day Lang,
Thanks for your tyre offer (pm sent). Coincidentally Motto called in here two days ago on a camper van tour of New Zealand and we gave him a guided tour of our LRDG truck and workshop. Your comments about Chev 216 oil pressure are interesting. Our motor runs at 15 to 18psi when cold and we have not yet run it hot to see what happens then. But as the long-time owner of a Model A Ford pickup truck I have complete confidence in splash lubrication.
Old 26-10-16, 02:33

Here are the tyres. 9.00-16 alongside for size comparison. They are not WW2 NDT but a sort of cross between NDT and Chevron.

Lang
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN5038.jpg   DSCN5039.jpg  
Old 03-11-16, 21:29

Our man collected the Aussie tyres yesterday - thanks Lang! All we have to do now is get them across the ditch

We have made more progress with the truck lately and now have the rear body permanently attached. On Tuesday we went for a short drive to test the brakes (see pic) and we are pleased that they work well. We are determined to display our Chev at the annual Armistice Day commemorations at Lake Karapiro on 12th and 13th November. She is not yet road-legal so we will take her over there on the back of a low-loader truck. We still have a lot of last-minute jobs to finish before then and even when they are finished she will still not be complete. For example there is still no proper petrol tank under the seat, no parking lights, no blackout light, no external condenser, no sand channels, bush bar, tail-gate chains, tool boxes, can-holders, folding aero-screens, greedy-boards, gun-mounts - the list seems endless. But we are determined to get her to Karapiro come what may!
Attached Thumbnails
Testing brakes (R).jpg  
Old 15-11-16, 01:52

On Saturday we took "Te Aroha III" to the annual Armistice Day display at Lake Karapiro, where we joined up with the other LRDG enthusiasts in jeeps and Chev 1533X2 trucks like ours. It was a great day and the culmination of six years hard work by our team. Brendan O'Carroll, author of "Kiwi Scorpions" and other well-known LRDG books was there too - that's him standing at left-centre in Arab head-dress (next to David Sterling of SAS fame!). Later we re-enacted a battle involving the LRDG and the Afrika Korps using large amounts of blank .303 ammunition, with our position being reconnoitered by a genuine Feisler Storch spotter plane. Our truck performed very well and we look forward to similar occasions in future.
Attached Thumbnails
LRDG line-up (R1).jpg   LRDG line-up (R2).jpg  
Old 15-11-16, 12:46
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
On Saturday we took "Te Aroha III" to the annual Armistice Day display at Lake Karapiro, where we joined up with the other LRDG enthusiasts in jeeps and Chev 1533X2 trucks like ours. It was a great day and the culmination of six years hard work by our team. Brendan O'Carroll, author of "Kiwi Scorpions" and other well-known LRDG books was there too - that's him standing at left-centre in Arab head-dress (next to David Sterling of SAS fame!). Later we re-enacted a battle involving the LRDG and the Afrika Korps using large amounts of blank .303 ammunition, with our position being reconnoitered by a genuine Feisler Storch spotter plane. Our truck performed very well and we look forward to similar occasions in future.
What old bean one of these things? 1938 demonstration film Accessed November 15, 2016 from, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDcB0pSUYOI Some more modern clips 2016 Acccessed November 15, 2016 from, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e8rwgm5sFs + https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o43AS_s_zYg & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVaUDy-Omn8

Kind Regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2

Last edited by Lionelgee; 15-11-16 at 13:01.
Old 15-11-16, 20:45

Yes, the very same plane. Not sure who owns it, but it was also at a previous Karapiro event. It hovered over us, hardly even moving, informing the enemy of our movements. Heavy AA fire from our trucks seemed not to worry it at all

In Libya during WWII the LRDG were being followed and watched by a Storch when it landed to confer with some enemy officers on the ground. Two LRDG men hiding nearby, ran over capturing the Germans and burning their plane before they knew what hit them.
Old 15-11-16, 22:21
VMVC

Default Fieseler Storch

This may be of interest:

Attached are three photos I took in 2006 of a Fieseler Storch being restored at Tyabb Victoria. At the time I was told it would be the only one that will be restored to airworthy condition using an original engine.

As many of us know the most famous use of a Storch was the recue of Mussolini from his Italian captors by the Germans. The mountain top takeoff was a sight to see. I'm sure a net search will yield the filmed event as I have seen it on a WW2 documentary.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
P1010308.jpg   P1010306.JPG   P1010310.jpg  

Jacques Reed
Old 16-11-16, 00:38
VMVC

Default Fieseler Storch in NZ

Further to previous post does anyone know if this is the same plane now based in NZ and seen at Lake Karapiro recently?

Not many left in the world so it is a good possibility.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 20-11-16, 20:37

On Saturday we had a BBQ to celebrate the completion of our truck, inviting all who had helped us or shown an interest the project. Over the last six years we have received considerable help from local people, including businesses which have given us big discounts on materials and individuals who helped us with their skills or advice. It seems that some Te Aroha people recognize that the project is of special significance to the town. Brendan O'Carroll lent us some of his Arab head-dresses for the photo shoot. However I think we have some way to go before we learn how to wear them with panache.
Attached Thumbnails
BBQ (4).jpg   BBQ (5).jpg  

Last edited by Andrew H.; 21-11-16 at 02:53. Reason: improvement
Old 20-11-16, 21:23

Absolutely magnificent, a credit to you all, cheers Dennis
Old 20-11-16, 22:47

Looking good Andrew. You've done the hard yards and it's a downhill run to finish it off. Congratulations.

Dave
Old 21-11-16, 03:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by motto View Post
Looking good Andrew. You've done the hard yards and it's a downhill run to finish it off. Congratulations. Dave
Thanks David
I hope you were not caught in the earthquake?
Old 21-11-16, 13:24

No Andrew, no problems with the seismic activity, we had passed through those areas a couple of days prior. To some extent I'm sorry we missed it. We should have been quite safe in the motor home, not much to fall on you and the suspension would smooth things out somewhat.
Heading north out of Wellington we were surprised to be in company with a WW1 Big Willy tank on an army transporter no doubt heading for the NZ Army museum. It looked in excellent condition and I was wondering if it was the replica from the film Warhorse?

David
Old 21-11-16, 20:31
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motto View Post
Heading north out of Wellington we were surprised to be in company with a WW1 Big Willy tank on an army transporter no doubt heading for the NZ Army museum. It looked in excellent condition and I was wondering if it was the replica from the film Warhorse?

David
No, that will be Spring Chicken (OLD THREAD), a stunning replica, that will probably be heading to the Wairarapa for the Feb Airshow. http://www.wings.org.nz/
Old 11-12-16, 21:02

Here are some more pics from the recent Armistice Day display of LRDG vehicles etc at Karapiro NZ. That's author Brendan O'Carroll leaning against "Te Aroha III" - he has taken a close interest in our project. Also shown is the "Breda truck" - one of the Chev 1533X2 trucks showing how the captured Italian Breda cannon were mounted on the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Brendan Ocarroll (R).jpg   Karapiro scene (R).jpg   Karapiro scene (2).jpg   Breda truck (R).jpg  
Old 04-02-17, 08:42

Your truck is looking better and better, Andrew!
Assume that there is now soon a complete LRDG Half-Patrol ready to go on a mission in NZ...
Old 04-02-17, 10:14

I have followed this thread from the start, all I can say is 1st CLASS, cheers Dennis
Old 05-02-17, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuno View Post
Your truck is looking better and better, Andrew!
Assume that there is now soon a complete LRDG Half-Patrol ready to go on a mission in NZ...
Thanks Kuno,
she is nearly finished now - just a few things left to do, like a proper wiring loom, external condenser, aero screens, tool-boxes etc and we will be working on these things in the weeks ahead.
Regards,
Andrew
Old 05-02-17, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinty View Post
I have followed this thread from the start, all I can say is 1st CLASS, cheers Dennis
Thanks Dinty,
What we lack in skills and experience we make up in determination and bloody-mindedness.
Cheers,
Andrew
Old 05-02-17, 23:59

Default Great work...... following with great interest.

Looking forward to how you will do the areo screens!!!!!

Bob C
Canada
Old 06-02-17, 09:24
Niels Vegger

Would these be suitable for aero screens https://www.completeautomobilist.com...nds-aeroscreen ?
1955 Austin Champ, 04BF45
Old 06-02-17, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels V View Post
Would these be suitable for aero screens https://www.completeautomobilist.com...nds-aeroscreen ?
They might be suitable, but look expensive. We will make our own I think.
Old 07-02-17, 03:52

Default Beautiful replicas.......

But ......... how practical-useful are they on a LRDG travelling at 25 mph in loose sand/gravel????

Would they actually divert the air flow away from the driver's face??? or is it just another British tradition like the open "C" cabs with a waist high canvass wrap around for the driver's compartment.

They do look pretty!!!!!

Bob C
Canada
Old 07-02-17, 06:39

Hi Bob,
We don't expect them to be very practical or useful, but will install them anyway, to be as authentic as possible. I have already driven our truck at 100km/hour without any protection at all, and at that speed you certainly need something between your face and a bumble bee!
Old 07-02-17, 11:52
Rick Cove

They are really useful. I have them on my LRDP truck and at 55 mph you sit out of the wind unless you get between the two aeroscreens, then you know it. I do recommend goggles at all times when out on the road as a passing vehicle could throw up a stone , miss the aeroscreen and take out an eye.

Regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 08-02-17, 01:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx42 View Post
I do recommend goggles at all times when out on the road as a passing vehicle could throw up a stone , miss the aeroscreen and take out an eye.
Regards Rick.
Thanks for the heads-up, Rick.
Andrew
Old 08-02-17, 02:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
at 100km/hour you certainly need something between your face and a bumble bee!
Speaking from experience, at a third of that speed, they feel very fuzzy on your tongue before you spit in a hurry (several times in case you failed the first time). On that day the bee must have been more surprised than I was and forgot to sting.
Old 08-02-17, 10:52
Niels Vegger

Aero Screens are very effective at speed, but as Rick mention don't go between them, but it is no problem to sit with the head above them, the wind is deflected upwards. but do wear goggles.
My Triumph TR2 is fitted with Aero screen, and they have been tested to around 100Mph, and I toughly enjoy them.
1955 Austin Champ, 04BF45
Old 30-03-18, 23:07

Over the last few months we have been slowly working towards adding the things that were attached to these trucks in WW2, including making the can-holders for the running boards, the aero screens, the greedy-boards, the tailgate hooks and chains etc. We have also been completing the things necessary to make it "road-legal" in NZ including mirrors (which the LRDG trucks did not have). Without mirrors the rear-vision from these trucks is obscured by the greedy boards, which must have been difficult when driving through the streets of Cairo or Alexandra.
Attached Thumbnails
Cans (1a).jpg  
Old 09-04-18, 11:07
Does he look like a Blitz

Default Nice work

I much enjoyed reading your posts - having just returned from a trip to NZ I was amazed at the military re-enactments group at Wanaka airshow: spent as much time talking to them as watching warbirds.
I also have a long standing fascination with the desert war and am recreating my Blitz from that campaign.
And your use of molasses was a revelation - I have used white vinegar a fair bit - how does it compare? Naively I accidentally dissolved my compliance plates in it though ...
Am coming back to NZ in about a year - I hear the do at Omaka is worth a look - any other suggestions from a local would be most welcome.
Ka Pai.