MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 04-12-06, 01:14
MVT Member 11001

Default Ford WOT8 with Katyusha BM13

I have just found this photo on a web page of photos from the Eastern Front, taken by German soldiers. It is a Ford WOT8 fitted with a Stalin Organ and as the photo was taken by a German soldier it must have been captured by them but whether the Germans used it is not known.

I couldn't find reference to Ford WOT8 or WOT6 being sent to Russia as war aid, so is this a captured British Army lorry converted by the Germans rather than the Russians?

Click on the photo to enlarge it

Last edited by Larry Hayward; 07-12-06 at 23:45.
Old 08-12-06, 22:57
Dog Robber

Hi David:
go to www.o5m6.de which is a site devoted to lend lease vehicles for Russia and you will find your vehicle was indeed supplied to them and used as a rocket launcher.
I can't remember the site owners name just now but I think he visits here from time to time
Bill
Old 09-12-06, 06:14
former Resident Historian

Default Not me!

It was Larry...from Middlesex, and yes I was born and bred in Middlesex too before it became part of Greater London in 1965. And disappeared.

Middlesaxon out!
Old 09-12-06, 11:19
MVT Member 11001

Default Ford WOT6

Thanks Bill,

That Red Army site is interesting, though I think they could have added photos of the same vehicles that they have drawn!

NB - David we could be related if you have connections with Harrow.
Old 09-12-06, 11:31
former Resident Historian

Default Related?

b Hampton, Middlesex, 1955. We lived in Feltham to 1965 then Hounslow West, and my parents are still there about a 1/2 mile from the old family home. I don't know if there is anyone from Harrow on my grandfather's side...Ernest Edward Thomas Hayward, d. 1977?...eldest of 13..., and I think some of his brothers' family lived in Harrow. Grandad was in the Admiralty during the war, in charge of staffing ships. His daughter Stella. who died recently, was in the War Office and was involved with invasion plans and therefore sworn to secrecy.

Do you think that your family is related then? I think the Haywards came from Paddington, before Grandad married in 1916 and then eventually moved to Heston by 1928. Grandad's father came from Stowmarket, Suffolk, around 1900 and became a hansome cab driver, then in 1908 a motor taxi driver.
Old 09-12-06, 13:23
Dog Robber

Hi Larry/not David:
Email the site owner, he is a nice chap and would obviously have photos.
Bill
Old 10-12-06, 21:51

The picture below shows another view of the (probably) the same ex-russian WOT-8 with BM13 Rocket Launcher, or aas you say, Stalin Organ, or as Russians use to say, Katyusha. Speaking about the WOT-8, Russian sources, as far as I know, only mentioned that "several WOT-8 were put into service", without mentioning any other details. My opinion is that all of them were used for installation of rocket launchers as there was lack of suitable chassis. By the way, the web page which Bill Murry mentioned above, with a lot of nice looking drawings of all lend-lease stuff, is not correct. All depicted vehicles were reportedly used by Russians, it is all right, but concerning the color scheme or marking, it is only the artistīs impression.

Happy searching,
Jan Mostek.
Attached Thumbnails
fordson_wot8_bm13_russia.jpg