MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 05-08-07, 07:17
Dennis

Default wc dodge

hi there just wondering did the british use wc weapon carriers in 1945 in afica and what marking , I have search but can't find any info thanks
Old 05-08-07, 12:57

Default Dodge Weapons Carriers in British Service

Hello,

The only threatre of war where the British used Dodge 3/4 ton T214 WC 52 weapons carriers during World War II appears to have been South East Asia, in Burma and India.

They don't appear to have been used in the Middle East until just after the end of the war. The 15th/19th Hussars had them in Palestine by late 1945 and up until 1947 at least when they went to Sudan.

The earlier versions of 1/2 Dodge Weapons carriers, ambulances and fitted for radio were used by British and Polish forces in Italy in quite large numbers.

I would imagine that this was because the American's undestandably had decided to standardise on the more capable 3/4 ton version, and had passed the earlier models on to their Allies.

A photo taken in Palestine or possibly the Canal Zone shows the weapons carrier to be a dark colour, presumably Olive Drab, or perhaps a British green. The had on the righthand rear panel a 41 on an arm of service badge, which is probably green over dark blue.

The other markings are sadly concealed behind soldiers in the photo.

This unit had a mixture of Sherman Tanks, Canadian GMC C15 TA armoured personnel carriers, M9 Halftracks, Bedford QL, and MWD trucks.

Regards

Nick Balmer

Last edited by Nick Balmer; 06-08-07 at 07:45.
Old 05-08-07, 13:19
Dennis

Default thanks Nick

I was just wondering because i painted my 52 in desert colours and thorught the british my have used there in the later part of the war I dont think the yanks had any painted in desert colours but, but got a pic of a command car in Ejypt near a pyramids.so there was a lot of vibrants so there could have been some dodges painted desert colours what do you think?
Old 05-08-07, 20:42

Default Sand coloured Weapons Carriers

Hello Dennis,

The major users of sand coloured Dodge weapons carriers were of course the post war French. They had hundreds in Algerian and in places like Chad.

Perhaps you should do yours up as one of these. They were draped all over with accessories, PSP unsticking strips and additional weapons.

I have always thought that these were some of the most attractive vehicles around, and they are on my ever lengthening list of models to make of favourite vehicles.

Living in England I don't have the room for the real thing.

It must be great fun to have a 2000 acre back paddock, a gas axe and a workshop in which to build full scale.

I am limited to 3 feet by 6 feet of modelling table.

Regards

Nick Balmer
Old 05-08-07, 22:37
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Sand coloured Weapons Carriers

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Balmer
The major users of sand coloured Dodge weapons carriers were of course the post war French. They had hundreds in Algerian and in places like Chad.

Perhaps you should do yours up as one of these. They were draped all over with accessories, PSP unsticking strips and additional weapons.

I have always thought that these were some of the most attractive vehicles around, and they are on my ever lengthening list of models to make of favourite vehicles.
Pictured below is actually a Dodge Power Wagon, but you get the idea. I concur about attractivity.

Old 06-08-07, 11:25
Dennis

Smile Thanks hanno @ nick

hey nick I do models too its great fun my sons learning to build them to, well only wish had 2000 acres but dont and doing up the real think can be trying and costly my partner left me for 6 month over the real thing she hates it waste of moneyshe say's but she back still a bad issue around the house ,but i enjoy it still have a little way to finish truck, but will post pics when i work it out , so thanks mate ,talk later
Old 07-08-07, 09:12

Default desert dodges

My wc51 is currently green and will stay green since it has US markings. However if I end up buying another WC51/52 I'd like it in desert colors. The photos of power wagons here was good inspiration. If there happen to be more of these photos, please post!

Link to WC51 with french markings and green, but with kool stuff onboard.

Marty
Old 07-08-07, 09:29

Default Link

Ok, so I forgot the link... But here it is!
http://www.tomtownsend-toyland.com/toyland/WC51.htm

Marty
Old 07-08-07, 11:28
Dennis

Default thanks

thanks mate for the info but still yet to find a pic of a wc in north africa I reckon i will have to keep researching thanks again.
Old 07-08-07, 11:53
Dennis

Default hey martylee

he is a pic of that cammand car in north africa
Old 07-08-07, 21:20

Default Desert Dodges

I remember a few years ago, some dutch Dodge owners painted their Dodges in desert collor and went on a trip to africa.
That looked very nice. And I think a wc in LRDG configuration like the french looks nice.

Marty
Old 09-08-07, 09:19

Default Desert color

As for the desert color, I do belive we had a similar discussion on the Dodge forum earlier this year. I'm taking the liberty to post a link to that thread: http://forum.ww2dodge.com/viewtopic....ghlight=africa

Marty
Old 09-08-07, 12:01
Lynx45

Hi Desertman

I have B & W signal corps photo of a Dodge command car and jeep trailer near the Pyramid, looks like some sort of outside broadcast for armed forces radio. Its definately painted sand over OD.

If you like send me a PM and I will send you a copy