MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 16-10-18, 14:49
Lionel G. Evans

Default ARN in AWM 126

Hello All,

I just had a browse through a number of different volumes of AWM 126. My Chevrolet truck was made in 1940 and its Identification Plates state the colour as "Khaki". The truck also had remnants of an ARN left on the bonnet. When I checked the relevant page 77253 or 77259 resulted in it showing a whole page of just the column for ARN filled in. The rest of the page was blank. The ARN that I thought I could decipher was probably a series of over-painted numbers jumbled up.

In the Model of Vehicle column does "CVT" stand for Chevrolet?

In my search for different ARN's I noticed that the Chassis number was not routinely copied down. I had hoped that once I solve the problem of where the hell my Chevrolet's chassis number is I could have used this number to look up the ARN.

More reliable entries seem to be present for Engine numbers. However, engines can be easily changed by the Army and by successive civilian owners.

Is the engine number on the 216 engine near the oil pump like it is on the Holden 202 motors are?

When I identify my 1940 Chevrolet's engine number and if it just happens to match a listed number, would the strongest chance to find an ARN be in the first volume of AWM 126? Volume 1 covers the first years of World War Two; my truck was made in 1940. Logic suggests that ....

I did manage to track down my 2A Land Rover Ambulance's ARN. Out of the full page of "Approved for disposal" details there were only about 4 lines left blank. You guessed it ... my ambulance was one of those blank lines!

That is it for me for the night!

Kind regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Old 16-10-18, 16:10
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

The first 4 volumes cover only the vehicles taken on by the AIF. Vol 5 onwards are the vehicles under Commonwealth registration. This will include some pre-war vehicles, impressed vehicles and vehicles used by the Militia. From Jan '42, AIF vehicles were progressively rolled into this numbering system, along with refugee vehicle types and "bring backs" that were adopted by the Army (but not all!). With various means of getting in the register, and different state commands registering vehicles in random orders, the registrations are generally not in chronological order. As you have found, blocks of numbers were issued for use, but not always taken up.

Note too, these registers are also only for Army vehicles. If your truck was RAAF, Navy, Depts of Supply, Munitions, etc, then you won't find it in these books.

Last edited by Tony Smith; 16-10-18 at 16:34.
Old 16-10-18, 16:28
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelgee View Post
In the Model of Vehicle column does "CVT" stand for Chevrolet?

Is the engine number on the 216 engine near the oil pump like it is on the Holden 202 motors are?

Kind regards
Lionel
CVT is Chevrolet.

Engine number is on Distributor side of engine, underneath the oil leak from the side cover.
Attached Thumbnails
GM 6 Eng No.jpg  
Old 17-10-18, 10:28
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
CVT is Chevrolet.

Engine number is on Distributor side of engine, underneath the oil leak from the side cover.
Hello Tony,

Now that made me laugh... "underneath the oil leak from the side cover". A real classic - because it is founded in reality.

Thank you for your insight into AWM 126 manuals.

I did notice the "Impressed" pages. Also, the numerous entries that stated in red, "Lost in Greece".

Your comment about stores and munitions could explain something that Mike Kelly mentioned nine years ago. The rareness of 1940 Chevrolet trucks because they were involved in one way trips to the Middle East and certain Asian theatres of war. Places where they either became "under new management; or they were destroyed to prevent a change of management happening.

Protracting a thought - if there were pages of numbers that were not linked to vehicles in volumes of AWM 126; could these numbers be utilised by the clerks in the Departments of Supply, Munitions? So that the number which appears as a ghost image etched into the metal of my truck's bonnet - 77253 or 77259, could have been used to identify a Department of Supply or Munitions vehicle?

Did these Departments record such details in their own systems and are they still available? It would be good to trace an official entry of my truck and locate its place in history.

If you couldn't tell I am still tetchy about the vast majority of the page showing completed entries for "Approved for Disposal" and all the related details. With my Series 2A ambulance being one of the very rare examples on the same page where there is a blank line to the immediate left of the ARN. Absolutely zero disposal details - grumble .... grumble.

Kind regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2

Last edited by Lionelgee; 17-10-18 at 10:46.