MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 08-02-04, 22:35

Default Looking for a Sherman

I know it's difficult, but with all the knowledgeable people that read this forum, someone may be able to point us in the right direction. We're looking for a Sherman (any type) to put in front of the new Armoury here in Windsor. The RSM is on the hunt also but if we could give him some leads that he can pursue through official channels, well we just might be able to make it happen. If anyone has any ideas, leads, suggestions or whatever please post here or contact me offline.
By the way, we will be having a parade from the old Tilston Armoury to the new on the 16th of October, so if any MV owners or reenactors would like to participate please let me know.

J.P.
Old 09-02-04, 00:30
MLU Administrator

Default Sherman or Sexton?

J.P.,

Did you contact the Canadian War Museum? I know in the US the Center for Military History is the actual owner of many if not most exhibits and can allocate a tank for gate guard or monument duty.
If you can't secure a Sherman through the military, you're at the mercy of the free market. Due to some resuscitated legislation, it is nigh impossible for American collectors to import Sherman tanks from outside the US. This is driving the prices of tanks available in North America upward, as the laws of supply and demand learn us.
Even before this happened, many a Canadian Sherman migrated South due to the bigger budgets of American collectors. I'm not saying it is impossible, ...

.... but why not consider a Sexton 25-pdr SP Gun? These can be had for a mere US$5,000 from SouthEastern Equipment company near Augusta, Georgia - see http://www.secoaugusta.com > Collector's Corner or see Joe DeMarco's pictures of March 2000.

Hope this helps,
Hanno
Old 04-03-04, 04:47
Terry Warner

Default looking for a Sherman

JP:

There are assorted armour hulks lying around training areas throughout Canada. However, the most intriguing are the persistent rumours of Rams in and around Meaford. Some time ago there was an extremely thorough discussion on the topic of lost tanks etc on this forum.

Contact Range Control at Meaford. Send a recce to look around the firing points of some now forgotten range. There were turrets and/or hulls nearby. The range staff will be interested in hard things to shoot at, and not necessarily be interested in relinguishing any of their supply. But hope springs eternal.

Terry
Old 08-04-04, 14:54
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Default sextons for guard duty

JP if you wish to follow up on the SECO Sextons, a CONVOY member's effort (successful) to recover a SECO sexton and bring it back to Canada was the featured story in the latest issue of Convoy (#14)!!!

Contact me offlist, and I can put you in touch with him to learn more about the process/costs/condition of remaining Sextons etc.

cheers
Marc
convoymagazineNO@SPAM-yahoo.com
Old 11-04-04, 23:43
Chev44

Default Sherman for sale on AFV News

http://www.activevr.com/afv/cgi_bin/....pl/read/49370

Looks like the guy has to be pressed for info though.

HTH
Don
Old 20-04-04, 20:40
Tanks, HD

Default Centurian?

There is/was a Centurian at Borden, down in the training area by the North Ford. Used at one time for ambush training.

Complete, in need of paint and cosmetics for gate guard duty.