MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The MLU Sappers Mess

Notices

Old 08-04-08, 22:25

Default FBE and Assault Boat Rafting

Here’s some photos from the Sikorsky collection showing what appears to be a training exercise in FBE and Assault Boat(?) rafting.
To see more go here http://www.cultura.marche.it/cultura...98&order=id%3F look at the groups of pictures from 98 to 103

Here's some of the FBE pictures
Attached Thumbnails
FBE 9 Polish.jpg   FBE 10 Polish.jpg   FBE 3 Polish.jpg  
Old 08-04-08, 22:37

Here’s some of the assault boat rafting (I think) – actually I did not know that this was done; does anyone have more information
Attached Thumbnails
FBE 8 Polish.jpg   FBE 14 Polish.jpg   FBE 18 Polish.jpg  
Old 08-04-08, 23:20
RIP

There is some additional information in this publication;

Old 16-04-08, 04:19
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Burgess View Post
Here’s some of the assault boat rafting (I think) – actually I did not know that this was done; does anyone have more information

Evening Noel. It wasn't uncommon to use FBE as a method of transporting loads across water obstacles. In cases where the amount of kit to move didn't necessitate erecting a Bailey or pontoon bridge, FBE was often used to transport small loads.

CHIMO! Derek.
Attached Thumbnails
AT gun on storm boats.jpg  
Old 22-04-08, 00:29

Thanks Derek
I notice the raft you posted has 2 assault boats with touching sides, held together with "notched" timbers. The Polish version uses some form of tubular frame in each boat onto which two trackways fit - this holds the boats some distance appart.
Does anyone know the correct designations (if any) for these rafting systems and which trackway the Polish one uses?
Also note: 1. they seem to be carried on 15cwt trailers (first pic. I posted)
2. note the spare wheel cover on the jeep (last pic)
Noel
Attached Thumbnails
FBE 15 Polish.jpg   FBE 16 Polish.jpg   FBE 19 Polish.jpg  
Old 22-04-08, 03:53
Derek Heuring

Default Check out Army Motors #110

Noel, if you receive or have access to ARMY MOTORS #110, look on page 11 of Terry Johns' article regarding Canadian T16s. There are two pictures (NAC PA-167200 & NAC PA-167198) showing Canadian Engineers ferrying two T16s; CT93798 and CT95804 across the Afwalnings Canal. In that instance the Engineers are using metal beams athwart the FBE supporting SBG bridging onto which the carrier is driven. The beams have clamps which fasten onto the boats coaming. I don't know the nomenclature for this kit but it's definitely purpose built.

CHIMO! Derek.
Old 22-04-08, 14:49

Regret I do not have access to "Army Motors" but I quote below from the Trux website [www.truxmodels.co.uk] - this appears to be another method of ferrying a carrier.

Quote:
ATTACHMENT MKI, CARRIER FLOTATION (ASSAULT BOAT)
This simple attachment enabled two assault boats to float a carrier across a water obstacle.

Two light steel beams were clamped to the sides of the Universal carrier. Struts connected the beams to the bottom of the bearers of the assault boat. The clamps were quick release so that the carrier could go into action very quickly once it had reached the far bank. Equally important was the fact that the quick release clamps allowed the complete assembly of boats and struts to be lifted off and return for another carrier without delay.

The boats and struts needed to be fitted on dry land, preferably near the water but out of sight of the enemy. It was also important to find a launching site with banks which were not so steep as to cause the boat to swamp when entering the water. The same was true at the far bank. A landing site was required which gave an unhindered passage to the somewhat unwieldly boats and was not so steep as to swamp them. Canvas dodgers could be fitted to the bow and stern to help prevent swamping.

All Carriers had to be of the welded type and might need waterproofing.

Propulsion was normally by the Carriers own tracks.
Old 23-04-08, 23:23

Hi Noel
A question, i see you have found the Italian photos on the Polish site but is there a search box to look for the UK and d day there after photos i cant read Polish and have clicked on all i can see
cheers
Les

maybe Jan Mostik could enlighten us
cheers
Les
Old 24-04-08, 00:36

Les
My link, which doesn't seem to work today, is to an Italian site. As far as I can tell, it only has photos of Polish forces in Italy. I have been through the whole lot at least twice (what a "saddo" I am) there's plenty of interesting and unusual shots but nothing that looks obviously like NW Europe.
Note that I have had problems opening this site on several occasions but have saved quite a few images - how about a mounted band!
Attached Thumbnails
Band.jpg  
Old 24-04-08, 15:13

Thanks Noel yes im another saddo and am working my way through them. lets hope the driver of the band was not a clutch happy chappie eh
cheers