MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The MLU Sappers Mess

Notices

Old 29-03-08, 15:59
Derek Heuring

Default German translation please

I have a picture of either two German Engineers pushing a Bangalore torpedo through a barbed wire obstacle or two German Sanitation workers running a temporary sewer line. O.K., O.K. I'm joking, but I don't read and write German and I can't cut paste the text onto Alta Vista for a translation. I'd appreciate if any Deutches Volk out there were to reply with a translation.

Thanks and CHIMO! Derek.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore Torpedo German.jpg   Bangalore Torpedo german text.jpg  

Last edited by sapper740; 29-03-08 at 22:11.
Old 29-03-08, 16:44
Paul

The first bit translates something like "Pioneers on the attack".

The rest is in connection with training, laying wire cutting charges I think.

Paul.
Old 29-03-08, 17:09
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
The first bit translates something like "Pioneers on the attack".

The rest is in connection with training, laying wire cutting charges I think.

Paul.
I recognize a few words, such as kampfkraft (combat capability) so you're correct that this is probably a picture of some Engineer training. Do you perchance know if any of the text actually refers to the Bangalore torpedo?

Thanks and CHIMO! Derek.
Old 29-03-08, 17:54

Default translation

this is the best i could come up with:

Engineers in attack

During fall and winter and also now still the further expansion of our troops in great numbers is continuing. All the services will stay in the highest battle strength. Our picture was taken at an attack/exercise???? of our engineers. The tube-load (bangalore) is pushed into the wire obstacle and when it has exploded, the way will be free.
Old 29-03-08, 20:21
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by wim sikkelbein View Post

Engineers in attack

During fall and winter and also now still the further expansion of our troops in great numbers is continuing. All the services will stay in the highest battle strength. Our picture was taken at an attack/exercise???? of our engineers. The tube-load (bangalore) is pushed into the wire obstacle and when it has exploded, the way will be free.

Thank you very much Wim, once again you've been very helpful. I think you're pretty close to spot-on with your translation. Sounds like typical Nazi propaganda. Would you mind telling me exactly which words/phrase refers to the "tube-load", I'd like to do some further research on it.

Thanks and CHIMO! Derek.
Old 29-03-08, 21:31
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Wink Translation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper740 View Post
Thank you very much Wim, once again you've been very helpful. I think you're pretty close to spot-on with your translation. Sounds like typical Nazi propaganda. Would you mind telling me exactly which words/phrase refers to the "tube-load", I'd like to do some further research on it.

Thanks and CHIMO! Derek.
Hi Derek..
My German is shakey but 'Rohrladung is the equivilant of our Bangalore torpedo...

M1A2 bangalore torpedo Rohrladung Stahl 3 Germany (WWII)
Old 29-03-08, 22:23
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Hi Derek..
My German is shakey but 'Rohrladung is the equivilant of our Bangalore torpedo...

M1A2 bangalore torpedo Rohrladung Stahl 3 Germany (WWII)
Thanks, Alex, et al for the info. I've found scant info on the internet (so far) regarding this device although it was discussed on the "Axis History forum" where I copied this passage:

"Finally found the only reference I've got that provides any details on the German equivalent of the allied Bangalore torpedo.

German Demolition Equipment AFHQ Engineer Section May44
pp.27 & 28, Plate XXV, Fig 15 & 16

Gestreckte Ladung, 2 types
Type A Rohrladung 3kg - 1.9inch Inside Diameter, 43.3inch length (minus nose cap), 9lb gross weight (including nose cap), 3kg / 6lb 2oz TNT bursting charge. Tube made from 0.06inch steel tubing.
Nose cap was a ogival shape on a cylindrical base. The cylindrical base was held into the lead end of the tube by two metal clips on the nose cap base cylinder and two retainer clips on the tube.
Type B was a longer tube type with a 2inch Outside Diameter, 7ft to 7.5ft length, made from 16AWG steel tubing. Each has a 1ft long mating sheath on one end. Each has a standard detonator well at one end, from which an instantaneous fuze cord runs to the other end.

The drawings show one Type A (with a faired nose cap) coupled to two of the Type B. The drawings also show what appears to be a specialized firing module that fits in the firing end of the tube that allows for use of either an embedded friction iginter with a 30second chemical fuze, or installation of various types of pull igniters into the standard detonator well.

The text indicates sympathetic detonation fired the entire device, and that the devices were airdropped with Fallschirmjäger in Greece and Crete."

Looks like I've got some more research to do. Thanks all!

CHIMO! Derek.
Old 30-03-08, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wim sikkelbein View Post

Engineers in attack

... yeah, the translation sounds correct. However the image was taken at an attack training or attack exercise. So it's kind of "fake".

www.wheelsandtracks.com
>> Condor A580 M+85691 (1952), Swiss Army Motorbike (unrestored)
>> F15 1942 Aust (Cab 13) ::: restored by Keefy
Old 30-03-08, 13:31
Derek Heuring

Default more on the Gestreckte Ladung

Compliments of Lone Sentry.com:

U.S. War Department Technical Manual, TM-E 30-451: Handbook on German Military Forces

o. BANGALORE TORPEDO (Gestreckte Ladung). This torpedo is made up of units of 16-gauge steel pipe lengths, with a sleeve welded to one end to form a socket for the adjoining unit. Units are packed with blasting gelatine or other suitable explosives. Detonating fuzes run the lengths of the tubes. The torpedo is initiated at one end by two independent caps, using a cap igniter set for one and a length of safety fuze and match for the other. Other sections carry a cap fitted to the end of the tube. When assembling sections, the free end of the fuze at the socket end of one section is tied to the cap at the spigot end of the next section.

CHIMO! Derek.