MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 22-07-18, 20:08

Default Autopulse Fuel Pump on Chevy 216

Has anyone installed the Autopulse electric fuel pump (C29Q-9350) onto a CMP Chevrolet (standard 216 engine) with any success?

If so, where did you locate it? Between tank and filter, or filter and mechanical fuel pump? And should it have a permanent live feed, or be switchable on/off?

Thanks,
Owen.
1936 Opel Olympia
MVPA # 39159
MVT # 19406
Old 22-07-18, 23:40
Bluebell

As I recall it lives inboard of the step. I guess it is a pusher pump. I think it was fitted to tropics destined vehicles as std. Someone will chime in with correct details.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 23-07-18, 10:18

I ran a a modern electric SU pump on my C15A for years I converted the truck to 12 volt but I believe you can get 6volt pumps if you look on the web Owen.

Regarding location I located it on the inside of the chassis rail under the cab in the main fuel line to the mechanical pump when switched on the electric pump will push fuel through the mechanical pump into the carb when switched off the mechanical pump sucks through the electric pump if you draw the layout out with the spring loaded inlet and outlet valves you will see how this works.

I would be wary of a 70 year old auto pulse pump use a modern one that will be compatible with modern fuel. I found my pump invaluable for priming from cold and for hot starting when vapour lock can be an issue it could also be flicked on while on the road when climbing hills at low speed to give a bit of a boost to the manual pump. I used the location of blackout toggle switch on the dash board so everything looked correct.

Pete
Old 23-07-18, 10:45

I agree with Pete, all good advice in my opinion. If you are going to fit an electric pump in any petrol vehicle, fit it as close to the tank as practical so that it is pushing the fuel. Modern fuel has a lot of gas disolved in it and will seperate very easily under vacuum which is made worse with long pipe runs before the pump. Then you get vapour lock in the pump and no fuel.

David
Old 23-07-18, 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Ashby View Post
I would be wary of a 70 year old auto pulse pump use a modern one that will be compatible with modern fuel. I found my pump invaluable for priming from cold and for hot starting when vapour lock can be an issue it could also be flicked on while on the road when climbing hills at low speed to give a bit of a boost to the manual pump. I used the location of blackout toggle switch on the dash board so everything looked correct.

Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herbert View Post
If you are going to fit an electric pump in any petrol vehicle, fit it as close to the tank as practical so that it is pushing the fuel. Modern fuel has a lot of gas disolved in it and will seperate very easily under vacuum which is made worse with long pipe runs before the pump. Then you get vapour lock in the pump and no fuel.

David
All good points. And as the blackout switch is pretty much defunct, repurposing it is a good idea. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, folks.

Is there a maximum pressure I can go to for the electric pump, so as not to damage anything on the existing mechanical pump? The manual says 3-3/4 lbs, so I presume this shouldn't be exceeded?

Owen.
1936 Opel Olympia
MVPA # 39159
MVT # 19406
Old 23-07-18, 12:17
Bluebell

Owen you wont damage the pump, but you can overcome the needle valve in the carb. The Ford v8 fuel delivery pressure should be about 3 pound max (cant remember exactly) (Chev, I don't know the figure) Delivery pressure is dictated by the spring under the diaphragm. The mechanical pump is a problem unless it has a known to be good with modern fuel, diaphragm. The high aromatic fuel of today eats the old material which may still function, but can develop holes which let fuel into the sump. This can lead to oil dilution and running bearings.
A regulated (separate fuel pressure regulator) electric pump is a very good option. The worst it can do, is not work.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....