MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 05-10-09, 05:29

Default Hinterland Who's Who- The Ottawa Valley CMP

Hi,

During my time off work i have been running the roads a little more in search of rusty truck parts. In my travels around the ottawa area i have spotted a few 3-Ton trucks that may be of interest.

The F60l with the headache rack is at about 45°32'53.94"N 76°58'1.78"W. This truck was last used for hay in the 1960's and is still fitted with most of its box and original tailgate. The box sides are still on the farm and are piled near the barn where they were deposited by the farmer in the late 1940's. The gentleman that owns the truck purchased it in 1946 at a large surplus auction that was held at RCAF Trenton and drove it to the farm on the Rice Line Road where it still sits. The truck is marked to "A19 RCASCTC" (Royal Canadian Army Service Corps Training Centre), which was located at Camp Borden, so it seems to have had a few miles put on it while in service. In addition to the unit markings on the doors the truck is marked with "S" and "64-613". All of the data plates are missing but it was interesting that the inside of the passenger door was stenciled with the tire pressures.

The yellow C60l has seen better days but still has quite a few parts on, in and around it. This truck had no manufacturers data plate but the back of the cab was fitted with a data plate for some sort of large equipment. Unfortunatly the image came out too blurry to read and i can't remember what was written on it.

The Green C60l is a very original truck exept for the massive plough harness and associated hydrolic fittings. The dump box was just being stored on it and was not fitted to it. The truck was still in its 1950's military paint with Sigs markings on the cowl. Notice this truck still has a roof hatch!

The data plates on the green truck read:

C60L
PR3975081
LV 2597
APR 25-44

The two Chev's are owned by the same scrap dealer and can be found at about 45°27'55.72"N 77°19'10.70"W on the corner of the 512 and Lake Clear Road.

It is interseting that this is the second C60L that retains 1950's paint and Sigs markings that can be found in a scrapyard in the Ottawa area. The other example sits in a scrapyard in Jasper, Ontario along with with another absolutley demolished C60L that is still fitted with a derrick and winch.

The Jasper trucks are in "downtown" Jasper behind the gas station on the 17 to Smiths Falls.

J
Attached Thumbnails
F60l.JPG   F60l 2.JPG   C60l late.JPG   C60l Late 2.JPG  
Old 05-10-09, 05:41

More Pics.
Attached Thumbnails
C60l early.JPG   C60l early 2.jpg   Jasper C60L.jpg   Untitled-1.jpg  
Old 05-10-09, 22:36

Jason, That's an interesting collection of parts. A tailgate, 1 top bow, the front cargo stop bar assembly among others. Did you have the chance to find out if the trucks are for sale or being kept for "restoration in the near future" (although at least one is suk in the mud up to the axles).
Old 06-10-09, 00:09

The Ford with the remains of the box could be had for about $400.00 but i got the standard "i'm gonna fix it" reply for a few of the others. I have to admit that as I have absolutely no interest in these beyond serial numbers and markings I only asked "what are your plans for the truck?"

I should mention that if you go to see the Ford on the Rice Line you will find that nobody has been home for about 40 years. The owner bought a new farm on the Beachburg Road between Portage du Fort and Beachburg in about 1965 so just uses the land at this site. You can't miss his new farm, it's the one on the left covered in old machinery, tractors, cars etc.. The Rice Line property is gated so stop in at the Beachburg farm first for permission to go onto the property.

If anyone has an interest in these trucks please go talk to the owners about them. I have had some really good luck being the right guy in the right place at the right time, and I hate it when you hear that the truck you always heard was not for sale, went for scrap last month because nobody wanted it.

It would be nice if a few of these could find new homes or donate parts to other projects before the scrapman gets them.

j
Old 06-10-09, 03:18

Default Vroom - vroom - vroom.....

Trailer is ready when are we leaving Grant....?

Do you realize how close we drove by these trucks coming back from Huntsville.

Boob
Canada
Old 06-10-09, 04:42
RIP

Default trucks

hi. that truck in the field up in douglas i tried to buy about 20 years ago.the price then was 2000. dollars.it was sunk into the ground back then.if you go up there ask somebody for directions to sandy rowans wrecking yard.i found a cmp prototype there.there were a couple of more cmps in his yard.there was one there he used to date his wife about 55 years ago.if your in the area it might be worth your while to look him up.you never know what he has.his yard is not more than 5 or 6 miles from the cmp in the field.regards jim.
Old 06-10-09, 05:02
RIP

Default hup

hi. if your going up to douglas.on the way outside of renfrew there used to a hup on the left side of the road.it was behind a building on a farm that is owned by the dicks family.you cant miss the farm as they sell feed there.its not very far from the cmp in the field.i believe there should be a sign next to the road saying dicks feeds.it was sitting there for years also.if you are in the area call beeline auto wreckers in pembroke they have 2 cmps in there scrap yard also.if your still in the area out towards almonte around the village of clayton at folkards wrecking yard there is a field artillery tractor.it was one that had a forklift on it after the war.havent been there in a few years.worth looking into.if i think of some of the others i have seen in my travels looking for jeeps i will post some more.regards jim.
Old 06-10-09, 05:12
RIP

Default carrier

hi.just thought of a carrier in the vicinity.up in denbigh above renfrew at roy berndts garage was an old carrier in there back yard.it might still be there.worth a phone call.613 333 2744.regards jim.
Old 06-10-09, 05:55

Hey Jim,

Sandy still has the truck that he used to date his wife in at the yard. It behind the house. It's an F15a that has has gone through a dually conversion and been lengthened three times from what i can tell. It is sunk in the ground much like the Rice Line truck. I asked what was going to happen with the truck when the yard closes and he said that his son wants it so he won't sell any parts off of it. The years of lumber hauling have not been kind to the old girl and the cab is just demolished in the back.

It seems that the only other CMP parts left in the yard are some chev axles and a stripped Ford frame. Sandy had a really nice 15cwt with a wooden water tank on the back but i think that truck went to Kirk in Quyon about the time that you pulled the pilot model F15 out of the yard. I seem to think that the 11 cab F30 that you had also came out of that yard many moons ago.

Sandy told me a story about that F15a that is still in the yard. Apparently there was a surplus vehicle dealer on the Lebreton flats in Ottawa right at the bridge on Booth Street. They had bought up a number of CMP's in 1946-47 and were trying to sell them to the Lumber businesses that were delivering into the Ottawa yards. They were having a hard time getting interest in them so they painted one Pink and parked it on Booth Street in front if the sales yard. The idea worked and after people stopped laughing they bought one or two of the trucks. Sandy mentioned that many were sold into the Quebec side from this lot. The truck Sandy has was purchsed out of that yard in Ottawa and driven From Douglas to Ottawa by Sandy and his Father many times delivering logs to the yard before it was finally worn out.

I think that i would go out of my mind if i had to drive a CMP that far in one go.

j
Attached Thumbnails
Doug.JPG  
Old 06-10-09, 23:14
RIP

Default cmps

hi jason.i did end up wih the 1500 weight afterall.its now in the hands of bob bropst in stephensville.it was in remarkable condition when eric booth and i first discovered it.that was probably over 20 some years ago.my the time is flying by.seems like yesterday.regards jim.
Old 07-10-09, 02:54
Mr. HUP

Default Did you say HUP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim fraser View Post
hi. if your going up to douglas.on the way outside of renfrew there used to a hup on the left side of the road.it was behind a building on a farm that is owned by the dicks family...regards jim.
Thanks, Jim.

If you have any other info on this HUP, I would be very interested in hearing more. Especially if it has a body on it.

R
Old 09-10-09, 23:31
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Thanks, Jim.

If you have any other info on this HUP, I would be very interested in hearing more. Especially if it has a body on it.

R
Ron, I wonder if the Dept of Health will ever discover a vaccine for this HUP sickness that seems to have gripped you more severely this year? It is sad to see a grown man so seized with the disease.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 10-10-09, 03:26
Mr. HUP

Default Never say Never!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
Rob, I wonder if the Dept of Health will ever discover a vaccine for this HUP sickness that seems to have gripped you more severely this year? It is sad to see a grown man so seized with the disease.
Terry, I predict that you too will succumb to the "need" for multiple playthings... Vaccine aside, I would give my eye teeth for a HUP body in good condition...See? I’m incurable.
Old 12-10-09, 15:55
Terry Warner

Default The sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Terry, I predict that you too will succumb to the "need" for multiple playthings... Vaccine aside, I would give my eye teeth for a HUP body in good condition...See? I’m incurable.
OK .... truth be told, I did catch myself planning a road trip to a particular wrecking yard out West to bring back some ... (well, I won't spill the beans). Then I looked at the size of my yard, remembered I don't have a suitable tow vehicle for a suitable trailer, forecasted my domestic noise tolerance levels, and physical handling of a half-dozen green painted whatevers. The idea wass still there when reality splashed itself on my face like cold water shaving.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 13-10-09, 00:58
Mr. HUP

Default Rust IS Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
...The idea wass still there when reality splashed itself on my face like cold water shaving.
Terry, Don't let space concerns cause undue stress. I have it on good authority that there is lots of space somewhere near Hammond...
Old 13-10-09, 02:49

Default Too much common sense......

Terry.....relax.......deep breath....... you will succomb eventually so let it go.... get another one....

Do not use lack of space as an excuse...... Hammond is a big place..... your wife will never know..... if she comes over you tell her "whatever" belongs to Rob.... he tells his wife they belgong to me..... and if we get caught we blame Grant........

Transportationis not an excuse either...... have trailer will travel.... like a prostitute for a modest fee we can show you the world......

It is a well known fact that you cannot restore a vehcile with only one vehicle ..... look at us...... we are serioulsy considering setting up a stud farm and raising our own.....

Cheers

BooB
Canada
Old 13-10-09, 03:44
Mr. HUP

Default Er, A CMP Stud Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
we are serioulsy considering setting up a stud farm and raising our own...Cheers BooB
Just clearing the air, Bob. The wives read this forum, so we need to be more precise when we mention things like "Stud Farm"...
Old 13-10-09, 15:45

It's simple Rob, you put a male CMP in the field with the female and they multiply, same as horses, almost as fast as rabbits. Didn't you see the HUP from Huntsville mounting the trailer? I'm not sure what the gestation period is, but wonder what the result will be. A 4 wheeled, 3 cylindered thing that'll be a bitch to steer?