MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 10-12-14, 02:19

Question Aussie M20 Diamond T tank transporter unit: paint colour

I am building a 1/35 scale kit of this and am nearing painting stage.

I have for reference some photos from the AWM showing these with Aussie camouflage in place but was wondering if these were delivered in Olive Drab and just had light stone added as camouflage OR were they painted Aust. service green right from the word go?

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 11-12-14, 18:49
CMP Modeller

Hi Cliff.
The first 200 odd vehicles were bought by the British purchasing commission & were painted 'Coronado Tan'. Later when Lend-Lease came in I don't know what colour they were if not the sand colour I presume the American yucky green! I know the CMP's were painted Light stone 61 or as near as the Canadian supplies allowed but I have heard of some American Modified civilian trucks painted in the Coranado Tan as well.
Hope this helps. Howard
P.S. How's the MH arty doing, I'm still working on mine & getting nowhere fast. H
Old 11-12-14, 22:13

Smile

I have the cab apart from the canvas top just about finished along with the chassis on the M/H LP3a. Needed to do something that was just glue and paint for a change so am doing the Merit 1/35th M20 along with an Aussie Matilda as a load and am at painting stage for the truck and trailer.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 12-12-14, 00:34
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippyrail View Post
The first 200 odd vehicles were bought by the British purchasing commission & were painted 'Coronado Tan'.
Coronado Tan, eh? Never heard about it before, even though now I see there is a reference to it in the thread Protec Khaki Green No.3 .

The subject came up recently when a Dutch restorer was asking about the right colour for his Diamond T. He mixed up some paint to match the remains on his truck:
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140920_100604_resized.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	69740 Click image for larger version

Name:	desert collor 231.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	69739

I told him it most likely was (or should be) Light Stone - just rushed to forward him the info about Coronado Tan.

See Colours of US M3 Light and Mediums supplied to Britain for some useful info on this paint colour.

H.
Old 16-08-18, 23:08
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippyrail View Post
The first 200 odd vehicles were bought by the British purchasing commission & were painted 'Coronado Tan'. Later when Lend-Lease came in I don't know what colour they were if not the sand colour I presume the American yucky green! I know the CMP's were painted Light stone 61 or as near as the Canadian supplies allowed but I have heard of some American Modified civilian trucks painted in the Coronado Tan as well.
I am trying to revive an old thread in search for more information about the use of Coronado Tan.

I am quoting Shane Lovell on this subject:
Quote:
"The question of colour needs to be addressed by looking at the various vehicles and their sources:
[..]
M3 Medium 'General Grant' - these vehicles were directly contracted between Britain and the manufacturers. As such, the British were able to specify the paint colour which was Khaki Green No 3. A small number of Grants were finished in a US automotive colour, 'Coronado Tan' in late 1942 due to a misinterpretation of a vehicle painting instruction intended for North American supplied B vehicles." (my bold)
A source document, provided by Mike Starmer and Shane Lovell, states on 13-Nov-1941:
Quote:
"British M3 Mediums to be painted Coronado Tanou SQM specification same colour as Canadian Ford vehicles that are being shipped to M.E." (my bold)
As Howard pointed out, we know that Diamond T's were painted in Coronado Tan.

I can imagine US manufacturers sourced a paint colour very close to Light Stone to comply to British contracts, but wonder if the Canadian manufacturers were not using Light Stone from the onset. Any reference to paint colours I have found in Canadian sources note Light Stone, but not Coronado Tan.

Would anyone have more information about Canadian Ford vehicles being painted Coronado Tan? Any input on this subject is appreciated!

Thanks,
Hanno

Click image for larger version

Name:	coronado tan.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	101602