MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 09-09-09, 04:21
Canadian Rangers

Talking Carrier Pics

Here are some pics of one of my carriers, I know I have a LOT of work ahead of me, Richard T, I will post some of the other carrier in a bit, I do not have it in my yard yet.

Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0046.jpg   DSC_0047.jpg   DSC_0048.jpg   DSC_0049.jpg   DSC_0050.jpg  

M152 CDN
VW Iltis and M101 Trailer

Old 09-09-09, 04:24
Canadian Rangers

Default More

A few more shots.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0051.jpg   DSC_0052.jpg   DSC_0053.jpg  
M152 CDN

Old 09-09-09, 05:11
Taisto Hako-oja

Default your carrier

Hi Gary, You have a start there. I just thought I'd let you know that your carrier was also once a WASP. You can tell by the roughly cut hole in the bulkhead down below the navigators seat. That was for the piping for the wasp flame thrower. Do you have any idea of the CT or the serial number? It might be very close to mine. You also have the original engine. It looks like you may only have the engine no. It is on the flat spot on the top left rear of the engine block.. Just above those oil pipes at the back of the engine. Between the cyl. head and the intake manifold.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010286.jpg  
C.D. 2609.
BUILT MAR. 25, 1944.
CT 266677
Former WASP

Last edited by Ledsel; 09-09-09 at 05:54.
Old 09-09-09, 07:58

Default carrier

Gary are you in the lower mainland I have a mk1 carrier in maple ridge
Jeff
Old 09-09-09, 09:09

Default Carrier

Hi Gary,
Welcome to the forum, you are in the right place for any help that you may require, You choice of a carrier restoration is still the best way that I can think of to get rid of any surplus money that you may have,just kidding you will have a ball and the friends trhat you make here are forever,
congatulations it will be interesting to watch your progress,
Regards Ron
Old 09-09-09, 10:35
Richard Harrison

Welcome Gary, and thanks for posting them up looks like you got yourself something that wee bit more special (mind all carriers are special...but you know what i mean)

what is it with teh rear bogey road wheels the rubber on them always seems to be gash. mine are exactly the same, yet the front idlers and main bogey's are all perfect, as is the little top idler

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 09-09-09, 14:41
Taisto Hako-oja

Default rear bogey.

Quote:
"what is it with teh rear bogey road wheels the rubber on them always seems to be gash. mine are exactly the same, yet the front idlers and main bogey's are all perfect, as is the little top idler"
The rear bogey is the one that takes the most sideways pressure when turning sharply. It is fine when things are set rite but when the tracks are loose they want to climb on the track guids. Mine are like that too because when I was young and stupider than now I didn't adjust my tracks.( too much work, I thought) Now I couldn't believe how easy it is to adjust them. With the rite tools that is.
C.D. 2609.
BUILT MAR. 25, 1944.
CT 266677
Former WASP
Old 10-09-09, 04:31
Canadian Rangers

Default Carriers

Hey All

Thanks for the encouragement, I am excited about getting these things up and running and going for a ride...Ledsel, I found the serial number in the spot you said, (Thnx) and it is TL24877F, hope that is right.

I will be getting a second carrier on the 23rd of this month and will get pics and serial number for that one, is that the only place to get the serial?

Jeff, I live in Northern BC along the famous Alaska Highway, I was in contact with some members of the MVPA while at the abbotsford airshow about doing a trip along the highway.

Thank you all for any information, I have a friend a few hours away that has 5 carriers and figures that he can build 3 complete ones from the stock, unfortunatly he did not get any salvagable engines so he is on the hunt, he is a member of this forum but is not able to log in very ofton, I will try to get lots of picture of his projects as well as progress of my vehicles. I have 2 CMP's that I am working on as well and will be fixing the C-15 before I work on my carrier so it will be a bit before I have anything to show.

M152 CDN

Old 10-09-09, 05:23
Taisto Hako-oja

That is only the engine serial no.. The only place that the vehicle serial no. is, is on the upper armour. The carrier in your foto does not have any place left that would have any kind of numbers. But from the engine number you could be fairly certain that it was a 1944 model MK.2 probably built early in March. If at all possible I would try and rebuild that engine. Even if the cylinders are in bad condition it can be sleeved.
C.D. 2609.
BUILT MAR. 25, 1944.
CT 266677
Former WASP
Old 10-09-09, 10:31
Richard Harrison

not that it helps much but the lower hull number on mine is located on the rear gunners side fender (on the angle bar itself) just so you know its there is why i have mentioned it really

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 10-09-09, 12:32

Further to Richard and Ledsel's comments. I thought I'd post some pictures of the numbers locations I found on my hull. My upper hull # TI or is it TL 79140 but then the armour was cut here. Can the experts comment. The lower hull number is as Richard states. on the lop left rear rolled edge,and so faint it's barely visible I can make out an F and 44. Would this be FMC 44 or 1944. Ron
Attached Thumbnails
carrier 031.jpg   carrier 032.jpg   carrier 033.jpg  
Old 10-09-09, 14:38
Taisto Hako-oja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pier View Post
Further to Richard and Ledsel's comments. I thought I'd post some pictures of the numbers locations I found on my hull. My upper hull # TI or is it TL 79140 but then the armour was cut here. Can the experts comment. The lower hull number is as Richard states. on the lop left rear rolled edge,and so faint it's barely visible I can make out an F and 44. Would this be FMC 44 or 1944. Ron
Picture #3 is not a serial no.. It is just the part no. of the roll edge. The one at your engine crank is the lower hull no. but I can't see it all because the crank is in the way. The one ahead of the driver is the (T) no. or (CT) no. It looks like T179140, that is what is written on the side of the carriers, It is not the serial no.
C.D. 2609.
BUILT MAR. 25, 1944.
CT 266677
Former WASP
Old 10-09-09, 15:59

Thanks Ledsel for your comments. Referring now to the notes I made when I restored it in 98/99, I have the following to add. The lower hull # repeated for and aft is 24130. The T# along the edge of the front armour, I think is from another vehicle, as it was acquired to replace the cut front armour. The number at the left rear corner which I was able to read before painting, is F.M.co 44. It seems to be a date stamp? What you think?

Ron
Old 10-09-09, 22:42
Taisto Hako-oja

Yes Ron, All the parts are dated when they were manufactured. There is probably a part no., there too but it is sometimes hard to see. On Gary's carrier though the angle iron piece at the rear is also missing so he has no numbers but the engine no..
C.D. 2609.
BUILT MAR. 25, 1944.
CT 266677
Former WASP
Old 11-09-09, 05:21

Default Project

Hello Gary, looks like a good project. Don't be put off by the missing bits as over time you will find, acquire or remanufacture a lot as you go.

Best of luck with your project.

Cheers

Phill
Daimler Ferret Mk 2
Land Rover S2A Field Workshop
Land Rover S3 FItted For Radio x2
Land Rover Perentie GS (SASR)
International No 1 Mk 3 2.5 Ton 4x4
International No 1 Mk 4 2.5 Ton 4x4
Old 11-09-09, 05:33
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledsel View Post
But from the engine number you could be fairly certain that it was a 1944 model MK.2 probably built early in March.
Definitely a mk2....the area over the rear diff does not have the two large square openings.
Old 11-09-09, 10:14
Richard Harrison

also as already mentioned on all the major components is the part number and also a date which will give you an indication of its age. the gear lever housing would possibly be a good one to go from as it is unlikely to have been repaired or changed. Mind this is not a concrete method of dating as i am sure they would have used up old stock on later carriers, but it may give you an idea.

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 15-09-09, 00:55
British Indian Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Definitely a mk2....the area over the rear diff does not have the two large square openings.
Following on from comments regarding carrier mark can I throw a spanner or two in the works and say, many MkI carriers were upgraded to MkII spec. which including the engines being supplied for the MkII production. Also the holes over the rear diff are also missing on some later bren carriers. Identifying the mark of carriers can only be done for sure by the edge armour information (provided it hasn't come from another carrier, which also happened during the war!). It is easier to identify earlier marks as there are tell tale fixing holes for equipment only fitted to them. Armour thickness in certain areas of the vehicle was altered so this can also assist. Could the two holes on the left mudguard be the fixings for the can holder on the MkII? It would be a great find if someone could locate a document which tied the Lower Hull Number with the Upper Hull Number with the WD Number and Serial Number. Then we would be able to run the hull numbers to find out year and marks. Start looking everyone!!!

Gary, great you have saved another two and good luck with them, it is worth it.

Nigel

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 15-09-09, 06:31
Canadian Rangers

Default ID Numbers

Hey all

Thanks for the very helpful info, unfortunatly this carrier has been attacked very viciously with a cutting torch and any number other than the serial on the engine has long been cut away by a farmer trying to keep dry, (fenders were cut off and steel added to make them higher), I am getting my second carrier in a week and a day, it has a lot more to it, ie: the tracks are on it, I believe the steering wheel is attached and several other items are there, I was told that the armour seems to be the only thing missing, will post pics as soon as I can

M152 CDN

Old 15-09-09, 16:25
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Watson View Post
Following on from comments regarding carrier mark can I throw a spanner or two in the works and say, many MkI carriers were upgraded to MkII spec. which including the engines being supplied for the MkII production. Also the holes over the rear diff are also missing on some later bren carriers. Identifying the mark of carriers can only be done for sure by the edge armour information (provided it hasn't come from another carrier, which also happened during the war!).
Nigel
I don't see the hole in the floor at the front beneath the co-dvrs feet either, which would indicate a mk2 hull.

Are you saying that the Cdn factory installed mk1 armor and stowage onto mk2 lower hulls? I have seen a mk1 carrier that overlapped mk2 production, and other than the large "FORD" plate behind the driver's head, the rest of the hulll was typical mk1.
Old 19-09-09, 18:09
British Indian Army

Default Clarify things!

Quote:
I don't see the hole in the floor at the front beneath the co-dvrs feet either, which would indicate a mk2 hull.

Are you saying that the Cdn factory installed mk1 armor and stowage onto mk2 lower hulls? I have seen a mk1 carrier that overlapped mk2 production, and other than the large "FORD" plate behind the driver's head, the rest of the hulll was typical mk1.
Firstly Rob when I cut and pasted the comments about identifying marks it was only your quote that came up and I was referring to everyone's comments. So it wasn't just aimed at your comment Rob and apologies if it seemed like I was getting at you, not my intention (or anyone else).

I have no hard evidence/documentation that says anything about the hole you talk about beneath the co-dvrs feet being only on MkII hulls. I presume you refer to the commanders/gunners position? So I can't answer your next question. My intention was not to bring anyone to task, but merely to rein back folks obvious enthusiasm, just a wee bit, for fixing a mark on a carrier, just trying to share my knowledge that's all. If I can give you one example of a similar sort of thing. When I entered the world of carriers people were identifying Canadian made carriers by their distinctively shaped headlamps. Subsequently the British made Carriers were therefore identified by the conventional cone shaped lamps. Seemed a reasonable method. However I discovered documentation that showed Canada ordered the cone shaped lamps to put onto carriers they were building! So that particular method of identification was no longer accurate.

In the big picture does it matter? As long as we share our knowledge then we all are more accurate and better informed. For my part I am just pleased you all are as interested in these wee machines as I am and I hope the information in my books has helped with that. You all are still coming up with details, parts, pictures that are new and unanswered which is great.

So that's where I am coming from. Desperate to learn as much as I can about these vehicles which is what is so good about this forum, the way information is given.

The one difficult area I have come across and hope my books would help sort are the carriers I have come across in museums which are labelled incorrectly.
I suppose time will fix this as those in charge become better informed! No names so don't ask!!!!

Nigel

"The noise of the tracks slapping against the underside of the mudguard, the smell of the engine fumes burning your nostrils, the clouds of dust making your eyes stream, and the fear. What could be nicer as your carrier speeds over the ground?"..................."Everything!"

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 20-09-09, 03:29
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Watson View Post
....... just trying to share my knowledge that's all.

If I can give you one example of a similar sort of thing. When I entered the world of carriers people were identifying Canadian made carriers by their distinctively shaped headlamps. Subsequently the British made Carriers were therefore identified by the conventional cone shaped lamps. Seemed a reasonable method. However I discovered documentation that showed Canada ordered the cone shaped lamps to put onto carriers they were building! So that particular method of identification was no longer accurate.

Nigel
Nigel, there is also photographic eveidence of Canadian Ford Carriers being manufactured with the UK-pattern cone headlights. How many? Certainly at least, up to the first 1000 (Probably! Possibly Maybe? ).

I agree that sharing information from a variety of sources without flaming people has seen the amount of collective information rapidly multiply in the last few years. It is always hard to provide a definitaive, concrete finding on some subject as someone will likely find proof of the exception to any rule at some later date. So the knowledge base keeps evolving and being refined.
Attached Thumbnails
AT-450.jpg   AT-472.jpg   AT-450-C.jpg  
Old 20-09-09, 04:08
carrier mech

Nigel
I'm straying a bit off topic, but the hole I referred to is on Mk1 carriers, and yes, just below the gunner. As I don't see this rectangular hole (I think it's about 4" X 4"). I would use that to support the likelihood that this is a mk2 hull.

Re the cutoff for the early Lucas headlamps, the parts manual gives a cut off of approx serial 2083 and 2084 for the changeover to the Cdn lamps.
Old 20-09-09, 12:45
Bluebell

Default Tony

If I recall correctly, from Nigels book, a number of carriers were built by Ford of Canada,for the U.K., using components, made in the U.K. My guess though, is that your pics are of Canadian carriers for Canada, because of the horn (and the pic of no.1000)
You are right of course about the info flow, as the net gains momentum. Great! ..aint it!!!.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....

Last edited by Lynn Eades; 20-09-09 at 12:51.
Old 20-09-09, 18:34
Taisto Hako-oja

Quote:
Nigel
I'm straying a bit off topic, but the hole I referred to is on Mk1 carriers, and yes, just below the gunner. As I don't see this rectangular hole (I think it's about 4" X 4"). I would use that to support the likelihood that this is a mk2 hull.

Re the cutoff for the early Lucas headlamps, the parts manual gives a cut off of approx serial 2083 and 2084 for the changeover to the Cdn lamps.
What was the hole for ?
C.D. 2609.
BUILT MAR. 25, 1944.
CT 266677
Former WASP
Old 20-09-09, 19:11
Richard Harrison

here you go, canadian carriers rolling out of the ford plant 1941 fitted with british style lamps no less one near the end has an extra perspex type screen fitted...possibly trialing it for use maybe ? either way all the carriers appear to be Mk1

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=12585

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 21-09-09, 06:18
Canadian Rangers

Default Carriers

WOW!!! I din't mean to spark such a debate about my carrier, it is good to see everyone posting their info as all is welcome to this newb carrier owner. I am getting excited about getting me second one as I was just told that it has a working engine in it, pretty much the only thing thing missing, (only, ha!) is the armour, which a friend is going to give me his mk2 armour. II am so stoked!!!!

M152 CDN

Old 21-09-09, 11:33
Richard Harrison

Gary, is the guy your buying from called Chris by chance ?

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 25-09-09, 04:14
Canadian Rangers

Default Carrier

I did reply to richard in a private post, however on to god news for me, I got my carrier last night, (what a major pain in the buttox, I would have taken photo's but it was too dark), here are the pics I took today
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0001.jpg   DSC_0002.jpg   DSC_0003.jpg   DSC_0004.jpg   DSC_0005.jpg  

M152 CDN

Old 25-09-09, 04:24
Taisto Hako-oja

You've got yourself another MKII no.2 . Also a former Wasp. You should still have the lower hull no. it's on that angle iron across the rear of the tub part of the hull on the left side right over the track when your facing the rear of the carrier. That will be the only no. that you will have. Good finds. Does the engine in this one run?
C.D. 2609.
BUILT MAR. 25, 1944.
CT 266677
Former WASP