MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 24-03-18, 07:04
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default ANZAC day Melbourne

The RSL have tightened the rules regarding the vehicles in the Melbourne ANZAC day march. Because of the strict new rules the VMVC, the local MV club, will probably not be involved in the march this year, breaking a long standing association that began in 1979 .

The new restrictions relate to exhaust emissions from the older vehicles and the drivers need to have a police check. The RACV has taken over the vehicle side of things. Apparently some people have complained about the exhaust gasses from the WW2 Jeeps
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 24-03-18, 15:06
Terry Warner

I've had similar complaints about my 1974 M151A2. "Fumes!" As they choke and gag. I guess what was once a fact of life and motoring is no longer acceptable. Will you be allowed any form of static display?

I can understand the police check concept. The parades are typically inside a cordon, and the VIPs are also inside that perimeter. Once I marched for 11 November and Prince Charles and Camilla were the reviewing dignitaries. I was one of three Guard NCOs with my troops. Suddenly I realized we were in between two rows of low concrete barricades, a crowd fence, and there were evenly spaced, stern looking folks looking out at the crowd, and looking in at us. I felt quite safe actually!

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 25-03-18, 05:02

Default Give them their own medicine...

Would be nice for a dozen jeeps pulled by horses or donkeys.....making sure the animals had lots to eat just before the parade...... and leave a bunch of prairies puck on the parade route...... and make sure you get positioned at the beginning of the parade.......
Canada
Old 25-03-18, 05:34

That’s very unfortunate Mike. As Terry mentioned, I hope a static display is at least possible. It’s still not the same though. Perhaps the public will notice the absence of MV’s in the parade and start asking questions. Maybe next year the organization will get their heads on straight again. Wishful thinking??
Old 25-03-18, 13:13

As has been mentioned in other forums about this issue.
The marchers are walking behind vehicles with a safety distance of twenty metres. They march for less than one hour, once a year (if every year) and you are saying that that will cause a problem to anyone.
Spare me!
What is the real agenda here?
1941 Fordson WOT 2H (Unrestored)
194? Fordson WOT 2D (Unrestored)
1939 Ford 1 ton utility (Undergoing restoration)
1940 Ford 1 ton utility (Unrestored)
1941 Ford 1 ton utility (Unrestored)
BSA folding bicycle
BSA folding bicycle
1941 Ford/Marmon Herrington 3A gun tractor
1941 Ford/Marmon Herrington 3 gun tractor (Unrestored)
1941 Diamond T 969 (Unrestored)
Wiles Junior Cooker x 2
Old 25-03-18, 14:55
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack neville View Post
What is the real agenda here?
It's a trend lately to be hyper zealous with regard to 'progressive' issues of the day. The environment, race and gender are the most active. It's a silly and hypocritical doing of small (but loud) bans. prohibitions or regulations on minor things like exhaust at a historical parade once a year while pretending not to notice the massive pollution spewing rush hours in thousands of over populated cites twice a day, or transporting useless made in China plastic Christmas decorations to stuff in every Canadian Tire store on this side of the world.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a clean environment and would say, as its proponents regularly do, that "every little bit helps" but clearly by focussing on minutia instead of the big picture it's more about control and urban busybodies getting their way (at the expense of things like your ANZAC parade).

I work for a DOT that, amongst other things, builds highway bridges. In the old days we built our bridge, cleaned up the site and moved on. Now, we pay someone to net and monitor the site for nesting migratory birds, find endangered muscles and move them (complete with their mud) to a new location for the duration of construction, count salamanders, buy additional land to re-forest as an offset to the land the bridge will use, do an archeological assessment, consult with our indigenous friends and get permits from at least a dozen government agencies. All of this to ensure we clean up the site before we move on. And then they wonder why building infrastructure is so expensive and we run budget deficits.
Old 25-03-18, 16:31

Exactly Bruce.

But nothing is said about the trucks and other vehicles used in the gay Mardi Gras and countless street parades around the world. Don’t hear any reports of people suffering effects of exhaust fumes in those events.
1941 Fordson WOT 2H (Unrestored)
194? Fordson WOT 2D (Unrestored)
1939 Ford 1 ton utility (Undergoing restoration)
1940 Ford 1 ton utility (Unrestored)
1941 Ford 1 ton utility (Unrestored)
BSA folding bicycle
BSA folding bicycle
1941 Ford/Marmon Herrington 3A gun tractor
1941 Ford/Marmon Herrington 3 gun tractor (Unrestored)
1941 Diamond T 969 (Unrestored)
Wiles Junior Cooker x 2