MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 06-10-03, 21:12

Default Shermans Rams and Churchills

I have names and WD numbers for the following Regiments. can anybody help me out with any names / numbers or matches.
Lords Strathconas Horse: 70 named Shermans (3 WD nos w/out names). Calgary Reg: 4 Shermans (69 WD nos w/out names), 2 Dingos', 38 Churchills (2 WD nos w/out names). Governor Generals Horse Guards: 30 Shermans (8 WD nos w/out names, also 6 Rams, 5 Lee's, 3 Grant's all w/out names). Ontario Regiment: 5 Shermans (68 WD nos w/out names), 10 Churchills ( 8 w/out WD nos). Sherbrooke Fusiliers: 6 Shermans (3 WD w/out names). Three Rivers: 9 Churchill (3 WD nos w/out names), 5 Shermans (71 WD nos w/out names), 1 Dingo, 1 Ram.
I also have numbers only for the following: South Alberta 6 Shermans. British Columbia: 6 Shermans, 1 Ram. Canadian Grenadier: 4 Shermans. Elgin Regiment: 44 Shermans. Fort Gary Horse: 1 Lee, 6 Crusader, 7 Ram, 14 Stuart, 3 Sherman Ib, 22 Ic F/Fly, 60 III, 56 V and 9 Vc.
Anybody help me out with any additions / matches. Email me direct for further info.
Cheers
Kevin T
Old 13-11-03, 22:04

The BCR's have a Sherman M4E8 and a Ram out front. Is there a number I can check for you? I also took some pictures of numbers on a Sherman in chilliwack. the numbers are located on the turret top and lower front hull.
Old 16-11-03, 16:47
GM Fox I

Default RCD Names

Kevin, I have a list of names used on RCD armoured vehicles. This list, while modern, apparently is fixed, ie. any new vehicle will use a name from the list only. It apparently has been so since at least WW2. Do you find that all armoured regiments keep and use similar lists, or is this unique to the RCD's?

I am marking my Fox to the RCD's with permission to use one of their names, quite an hounour. The one I favour is "CHASM" which is also what my wife thinks is the relationship between my project and the family finances.
Old 16-11-03, 19:22

Thumbs up RCD

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for your reply relating to tank names.
Yes please. I would be most interested in the list of names.
Although I only have around 2200 names so far, several do relate to Canadian units. Some British units carried names forward from W.W.I into W.W.II and beyond. It sounds like the same applied to Canadian units then?
Cheers
Kevin