MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 26-03-03, 10:52
RIP

Default Frozen Stud Removal – Aircraft Dye Penetrant

A previous post described a method of frozen stud removal utilising a product used in the aviation industry for identifying cracks in aircraft components. Enquiries with various agencies has revealed one such product available in Australia named “Sherwin DUBL-CHEK”. In Australian it is marketed by Aviation & Industrial N.D.T. Supplies of P.O. Box 33, Tyabb, Victoria, 3913. Ph. 03 5977 4088. Fax – 03 5977 4093. The mother company is Sherwin Incorporated of 5530 Borwick Ave, South Gate, CA (presumably California) 90280. Ph. (562) 861 6324 and Fax (562) 923 8370.

The products are:
* HM-406 Fluorescent Penetrant where black light is utilised to detect the flaws after treatment.
* DP-40 Dye Penetrant referred to as the “visible dye penetrant”.

The Managing Director of the company had never heard of this type of product being used to assist in frozen stud removal. I had the same response from various restorers.

One of my contacts many years ago had obtained a similar product manufactured by Dinol International – Hassleholm, Sweden – 0451-800-00. This came in the form of three spray cans containing a solvent cleaner, penetrant and dye respectively. There would be other manufactures around as well.

The only thing I can conclude is that it is apparent that these products have a high penetration ability thereby working better than ordinary CRC or Penetrene or similar products. I have all the Fact Sheets so if anybody requires further information I can fax them a copy.

Whether this works or is an urban myth can only be a subject of conjecture. I was initially sceptical of electrolysis derusting, but am now a devotee of the method.

Bob
Old 26-03-03, 15:34
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default INOX

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your research on that topic . I have since been told of a product called INOX . It was developed by a chap in Brisbane and it is available at one of the major retail bearing suppliers , they seem to be the agents for it .

Apparently INOX is very good as a penetrant , much better than CRC WD 40 .

I did a web seach on INOX and found the parent company in Brisbane . I am hoping to try it out soon on a few old rusty studs .

Mike Kelly :
Old 27-03-03, 10:22
RIP

Default PX 24

Hi Mike

Let me know the results of INOX. Apart from the penetrant data sheets, the guy at NDT sent a data sheet on PX 24 which is "a liquid hydrocarbon based product, formulated to give excellent results as a Corrosion Protector, Water Displacer, Light Lubricant and Penetrating Oil" It is also used in the aviation industry and would also be superior to CRC etc. It can be bought from NDT in a 300g aerosol can for $5.95 plus GST and freight. However they may be close to where you live so you could call in.

Bob
Old 27-03-03, 21:12

Default Re: PX 24

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Moseley

Apart from the penetrant data sheets, the guy at NDT sent a data sheet on PX 24 which is "a liquid hydrocarbon based product, formulated to give excellent results as a Corrosion Protector, Water Displacer, Light Lubricant and Penetrating Oil" It is also used in the aviation industry and would also be superior to CRC etc.
Bob
Bob,
I have had experience of PX24 when working for the Army. PX24 is a Joint Service Designation for NATO, it was to our point of view inferior to WD40 and other specific penetrants.
The UK Defence Standards list it mainly as a corrosion inhibitor but do also state that "it may be used as a penetrating oil where authorised". At the end of the day it is a personal choice which product suits you of course.
Richard
Old 28-03-03, 06:11
RIP

Default Re. Re. PX24

Thanks Richard

I will always listen to the voice of experience. Its off the shopping list.

Bob