Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 14-09-05, 10:06

Default Re: Reference

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
To whom it may concern.

You should hire her without hesitation.
and write into her contract that the frypan must not be used during work hours unless it is to make lunch

hmmm I can see some :dh: and coming my way.

cheers
Cliff

PS> I am glad it went well for you and I hope you do get the nod next week.
Old 14-09-05, 10:57
Art Johnson

Default Friends

Karmen you certainly have a lot of friends I hope everthing goes well for you.

Who Loves You Baby
Old 16-09-05, 22:31
RIP

Default Job interview !!

Report on job interview-

Well armen,it went very well.The lady human resources manager asked a lot of questions,Actually,she reminded me of you.She was so short,I had to get on my knees to look at her eye to eye.
Hope you get your job.

A guy joke I heard in the car on my way to the interview.

A fellow is standing in the forest amongst the trees talking to himself.Does this mean that although knowone can hear him,he's still wrong with his wife??:
Old 17-09-05, 05:09
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Job interview !!

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Report on job interview-

Well armen,it went very well.The lady human resources manager asked a lot of questions,Actually,she reminded me of you.She was so short,I had to get on my knees to look at her eye to eye.
Hope you get your job.

A guy joke I heard in the car on my way to the interview.

A fellow is standing in the forest amongst the trees talking to himself.Does this mean that although knowone can hear him,he's still wrong with his wife??:
... Garry, the joy of you is that you alwaysget me laughing ... thank you!

I'm glad to hear your J.I. went well ... I hope you hear what you want to hear when decisions are made. Garry ... I sincerely DO!

As for me, well, I can expect to hear early next week.

I'm as afraid to get this job as I'm afraid to not get it ... yikes I'm sure many of you will empathize.

A big heartfelt WOOF-n-ARF to my beloved Shadster.

Old 21-09-05, 04:34
RIP

Default Job interviews !!

Just woke the Shadster up & gave him your message.Boy ! Talk about dirty looks!Guess he was in the middle of a dream.
Anyway,what I want to say is that the age factor really pi--es me off.A lot of young ones come out of school with a BC or BA & want the world>In my industry which is specialized(ocean shipping),I'm probably going to work under a yougun,who doesen't know his ass from his elbow.I worked six years on the pier and elsewhere,a blue collar guy,in weather where even the stevedores quit working, as a certified surveryor,sitting with 24 others for 4 hours writing an exam at Lower Canada College,where only me & a friend from Halifax passed,and now I have to go through the bullshit about my age,I can't wait till their time comes,and maybe,just maybe,I'll be the old guy behind the desk,asking these assholes how old they are !!

Sorry for the rant.I feel better now.
Have a and a on me.
Old 21-09-05, 06:17
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Garry

You ain't alone there, bub. Same thing in my company. All the good guys who knew the business from the ground up are gone, to have been replaced by youngsters fresh out of school who know NOTHING. We've watched it happening step-by-step since 1995. The few of us left who actually know what we're doing have fallen back to the formidable redoubt of "we get paid by the hour". When it pleases us, we select a few of the newbys from time to time and try to teach them THE WAY THINGS ARE. We've been pretty successful at this, being fairly selective as to our "candidates".

I won't even get into the state of affairs regarding lower and middle management. We have to lead them by the hand; the smart ones know enough to shut up and let us carry the ball... the dumbshits (of which there are many) try to reinvent the wheel whenever they can find a few spare minutes when their noses aren't buried in their bosses asses.

Upper management just plays a game to maximize their performance bonuses.

What a world we've inherited... :
Old 22-09-05, 05:38
Art Johnson

Default the new way

Hey Jiff you just tell them "it's not in my job description". Boy does that ever tick them off.
Old 23-09-05, 01:31
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Job interviews !!

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton

Sorry for the rant.I feel better now.
Have a and a on me.
Hi Garry and Shadster ... sometimes a little rant goes a long way to making for a good day

Woof to Shad ...

Ma sends ...
Old 23-09-05, 16:30
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: Re: Job interviews !!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
... sometimes a little rant goes a long way to making for a good day

....is that why you keep on ing.......
Old 23-09-05, 16:35
Vets Dottir

Eh? Did I hear something from the peanut gallery?

Nope ... guess not ...

Ma
Old 23-09-05, 18:10
Senior Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Eh? Did I hear something from the peanut gallery?

.......probably, after all, you do have a box seat........ front and centre........

Oh Look!, MA trying to get the Dead Horse to listen :dh:
Old 23-09-05, 18:41
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
.......probably, after all, you do have a box seat........ front and centre........

Oh Look!, MA trying to get the Dead Horse to listen :dh:
Here's a couple for the road :dh: :dh: ...
Old 23-09-05, 18:48
Vets Dottir

Default Update

Hello.

Here is a little update on that job ...

My physical limitations, most especially the unpredictable flares which make for unreliable skills for the office/job, that sometimes I can do, sometimes I can't, sometimes need help ... well ... performing on demand is something I can't promise, and the business needs to rely on the fact that the employee IS ABLE TO ...

I basically need great flexibility and room to pace myself and work around all the limitations and fluctuations ... most jobs, employers can't afford to gamble like that ... it could trash their biz.

That's it folks.

K.
Old 24-09-05, 17:25
Vets Dottir

Default PS:

PS: In case I wasn't clear, my last post meant that I did not get this job due to the arthritis and related problems ... too unpredictable for what the boss needs.
Old 24-09-05, 22:10

Default Re: PS:

Quote:
PS: In case I wasn't clear, my last post meant that I did not get this job due to the arthritis and related problems ... too unpredictable for what the boss needs.
My dear you did make it clear but for once I really did not know what to say as anything I may have said would have sounded a bit hollow.

But look just take it in your stride and have another Tim Tam

cheers
Cliff

:idea: why don't we just be a bit ish togeather
Old 24-09-05, 23:18
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: PS:

Hi Cliff ...

Regards what's to say? I guess saying anything at all is enough because I know many of you were rooting for me and when you 'comment" that just shows me you all care (as we all care about everyone in our MLU family )... and when I finally do score something, you'll "applaud" me ... and I'll be here to "suck that up too" ...

Maybe I'll start a home-based biz selling ... ??? Tim Tams? LOL ... not ... but someone, Aussie of course, planted a seed that I should approach Campbell's (who holds the Tim Tams account?) to start bringing Tim Tams to Canada ...

Regards income ... some opportunity will be found or present itself to me that I can actually do ... and I'll be on it quicker than a fly on poop ....

Thanks you folks .. for caring ... and that's one of the main draws of why I love MLU-ers.

Karmen
Old 25-09-05, 00:47
Pops

Default rooting

The word rooting has a differant meaning in Aussie land than in Canada. I believe in Canada you use the word rutting which has the same meaning as rooting.
Max
Old 25-09-05, 00:56
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Thank goodness you told us, Max!

We could have been in all sorts of trouble here supporting Yappy!

Sort of like the description of a Wombat - "eats, roots and leaves"

Sorry, Yappy not to distract from your plight - you were just too good for them.

A home-based business would suit you well - especially something to do with research.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 25-09-05, 00:58
Vets Dottir

Researching Tim Tams perhaps?
Old 25-09-05, 05:30
Vets Dottir

Default Re: rooting

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Hedges
The word rooting has a differant meaning in Aussie land than in Canada. I believe in Canada you use the word rutting which has the same meaning as rooting.
Max
Hmmm ... and WHAT Master Mad Max, other meaning would THAT be?

S'plain me Lucy?

Ma
Old 25-09-05, 05:39
Vets Dottir

Default methinks ....

Hmmmm ... bin thinkin' bout Max's comment regards rootin' / ruttin' ... I think that Canadian "rooting" is the equivalant of Aussie "rutting" ... therefore ... Canadian "rutting EQUALS rooting in Aussieland ... therefore ...damned if I do, damned if I don't ...

I shall say NEITHER (is THAT safe? : ) ... dammit ... now I must come up with a no-double-meaning expression : ... you folks'll be the death of Ma yet : )

Old 25-09-05, 09:47
Film maker, CMP addict

Default In Strine

I think you've had a bad trot there, Yappy.
I think that bloke was a bit round the bend not to employ you. I'd have been as mad as a cut snake if it were me. I'd have given him a serve indeed.
I hope his kangaroos kick his dunny door in!

Perhaps an ANZAC biscuit is in order - often more comforting than a TimTam. You can dip it in your cuppa.

Tell him you'll get Agro to deal with him.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 25-09-05, 09:51
Pops

Default work this one out

In Canada the word fanny has a totally differant meaning than what it is used for in Aussie land. Someone else might be able to explain this a little better I believe it has something to do with a beaver.

Max
Old 25-09-05, 10:25
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Default Re: work this one out

Quote:
In Canada the word fanny has a totally differant meaning than what it is used for in Aussie land. Someone else might be able to explain this a little better I believe it has something to do with a beaver.

Max
Very politely put Max! Basically in North America everybody has a fanny, and can sit on it - over here it'd be ladies only!
There are so many linguistic differences that I have to proof-read my forum posts an a US-based modelling site I use just to make double-sure that I'm not going to upset someone!!

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 25-09-05, 10:52
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: rooting

Quote:
The word rooting has a differant meaning in Aussie land than in Canada. Max
And then there's "Pissed". If you're Pissed in Canada, you're angry, but if you're Pissed in Australia, I guess you're happy unless you start calling for Ralph on the Porcelain Bus. Serious cases are described as "Totally pissed as a F***", which rhymes musically with "Total eclipse of the heart" (best sung in that condition, too!)
Old 25-09-05, 11:31

Default Re: Re: rooting

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
but if you're Pissed in Australia, I guess you're happy unless you start calling for Ralph on the Porcelain Bus. Serious cases are described as "Totally pissed as a F***",

Tony,

Exactly the same meaning in Britain.

Another word with different meanings between N.America and here is "b*m" (insert u where applicable), over the pond it is a tramp or layabout and over here it is what you sit on, or part of lower back (side).

Richard
Old 25-09-05, 14:54
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Re: rooting

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
Tony,

Exactly the same meaning in Britain.

Another word with different meanings between N.America and here is "b*m" (insert u where applicable), over the pond it is a tramp or layabout and over here it is what you sit on, or part of lower back (side).

Richard
We Canucks used the expression "Pissed" in a number of ways...
I'm really pissed at you....(Mad)
You wouldn't get pissed with me...(Drunk)
Piss off!!!...(Check with Jif)
And a hundred other expressive ways to urinate such as ..
Pissing into the wind..(To do it wrong)
Piss up a rope....(Impossible gesture)
Ahhhhh...The English language....The flexibility of it is it's strenght...
There is more but I gotta quit and take a leak....(Lets start over with leak,and we are back where we started..)
Old 25-09-05, 20:46
Vets Dottir

Hmmmm ... my threads all seem to go off in these funny directions eventually : ( )

Regards the job situation ... part of the job is singlehandedly running the home-office and dealing with phone customers while working. If there were other employees perhaps we could trade off tasks as needed, plus they could help me off/on with coats and such, open doors, etc ... but that's not possible here.

I have no hard feelings, and If I were the boss, I'd choose to not hire me too ... because I'd need someone who could reliably do everything as/when needed ALONE ... etc. There's no room for THAT MUCH flexibility here. I don't feel bad about that ...

Am just thrown back on having to come up with something I actually can do ... I'll figure it out eventually

Now ... back to smart-ass expressions and such ... I'll even add some in time I'm sure
Old 25-09-05, 23:03
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: work this one out

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
Very politely put Max! Basically in North America everybody has a fanny, and can sit on it - over here it'd be ladies only!
There are so many linguistic differences that I have to proof-read my forum posts an a US-based modelling site I use just to make double-sure that I'm not going to upset someone!!
Quite so, and Keith has referred to, in an earlier posting, a case of diahorrea, however, I suspect the trots are quite different in the antipodes.

Of course it is unwise to ask for a packet of fags in N. America or indeed to correctly ask for you preferred choice in the shop and then remark to your colleague (me) that you're dying for a fag.

The sound of a pin dropping can be quite loud.

R.
Old 26-09-05, 01:04
Pops

Default Re: In Strine

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb

I hope his kangaroos kick his dunny door in!
[IMG]
Keith wasn't there a song about I hope your chooks turn into Emus and kick your dunny down.

Max