MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 31-07-03, 17:57
RIP

Default Sherman Firefly & a Jeep Spotted

Just east of Kingston Ontario on old Route 2 east of Barriefield Barracks about 2 kilometers,spotted what looks like a Fire fly with the long barrel,set back under the trees as a gate guard.Nearly missed it because of the green color.Couldn't stop but now know where it is.On a previous older post on the subject,& Hanno may help on this one,wasn't there a sherman in Kingston that disappeared & presumably showed up in Toronto or somewhere.Maybe this is it.Also spotted a rusty jeep up on blocks minus the wheels at a tiny town called Maple Grove just east of Beauhornois Quebec on route 132.The windshield was up & spotted the split windscreen plus the old front grill.
I've been busy in the country trying to spot CMP's,nary of which I found.Eyeballed every farm I passed.
Old 31-07-03, 22:43
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Sherman Firefly & a Jeep Spotted

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
spotted what looks like a Fire fly with the long barrel
Garry,

Does it look like this?

Source: http://www.mapleleafup.nl/g104/cdn.htm

Regards,
Hanno
Old 01-08-03, 19:56
RIP

Default Mantlet & Turret different!

Hanno,the mantlett stuck out a little farther than the 75MM as on the M4A1 mantlett,plus I noticed the turret itself was also not the same as the M4A1.But the gun itself reminded me at once of the Firefly.Perhaps someone in Kingston can go out & get a few digital photos of the beast,but I warn,they must drive slowly or they will miss it what with the greenery on the left going east around it plus the tank color(dark green).I recall the speed limit was 80 KMH on that part of old Highwsy 2.From the photo you show,can't recall the similarities,but the color was darker green & the gun was long.Trying to convince the family to go back to Kingston for our Labor day holiday at the end of the month