MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 27-09-03, 14:32

Default Current use of WW2 Armour

Things have been progressing with our WW2 living history group down here in the Mid Atlantic area and I thought i would take a moment to give a brief.

The 15th Reconnaissance Regt, (15th Scottish Division) Living History Association was recently granted recognition by the 15th Recce Old Comrads Association earlier this summer.

Like other living history units, we put on displays of kit and uniform, but our focus is on the vehicles. Vehicle safety and maintenance are stressed moreso than drill.

We have the following vehicles restored and participating in the unit:
2 Mk1 Bren Carriers
1 Mk2 Bren Carrier
1 CMP C-15A
1 Daimler Dingo
1 Jeep
Members have also purchased and have the following vehicles under restoration:
1 CMP Otter Light Recce Car
1 Humber Mk4 Heavy Armoured Car

And we have potential membership from owner of the following vehicle:
1 Daimler Dingo

Also, a local museum has expressed a willingness to let the unit borrow certain vehicles for regional events based on the maintenace status of the vehicles. This includes a Mk2 carrier and a C-15TA .

Obviously, the logistics and cost of moving that many heavy vehicles has been a new challange to the group. Currently, we try to group the vehicles together for the summer season and move them en masse with low loaders.

Next challange has been events worth the effort to take the vehicles to. There is an event planned this November at Ft. Story VA that will let us have miles of dirt roads, woods and fields we can use. We are using FRS radios with WS-19 Headsets to try to coordinate things.

Some lessons learned:
The drivers really can't hear what's going on around them and NEED a vehicle commander to focus on what they are about to run over.
A little rain and armour is slippery!
Spectators at events can still "not see you" and walk out in front of you.
The look on the faces of the three ex-Army carrier veterans make it all worth while!

I welcome any comments or resources any of the list can offer.
Want to join?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 28-09-03, 16:18

Default Och Aye, then

Hi Jim,

I live a spit and a clap down the road from you in Wilmington, Delaware. Where and when do you guys do your thing? Do you mind the odd (some would say odder than most . . .) tourist taking photos? I probably have enough pattern 37 webgear to turn myself out but I think I'm a bit long in the tooth for it. I could at least furnish my own Enfield.

There are major serious highland games every year at Fairhill, Maryland: the Colonial Highland Gathering. They often host living history units and in the past have had the old 71st Frasers Highlanders and currently have a WWI group. You might consider making the trip while the World War II vets can still appreciate you. I believe the organizaers have a website.

Keep 'em running'

Bob Potter
Old 29-09-03, 19:18

Default Where is Hatfield????

sounds like a nice Summer outing if I can get my C15a Cab 11 on the road.....

....use to attend the the balck powder rendez-vous withthe Independent Mountain Men of Penn.. outside of Butler

...it would take me a while to get there and would have to shift to low gear on some of them PA hills......
Canada