MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 31-08-05, 21:34
Mr. HUP

Default Gas Gas Gas

Imagine my shock at seeing gas advertised for $1.20.00 per litre on pre-printed signs at our local PC...The US upped the price 20 cents per gallon, we managed 20 cents per litre. What's that tell you?

This keeps up, I will have to convert my HUP to either a hybrid, a bio-diesel engine or into an alcohol burner.

Fire up the stills (fer truckin, not drinkin...Bob)
Old 31-08-05, 22:07
Richard Notton

Default Re: Gas Gas Gas

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
Imagine my shock at seeing gas advertised for $1.20.00 per litre on pre-printed signs at our local PC...The US upped the price 20 cents per gallon, we managed 20 cents per litre. What's that tell you?
Not to worry, you've got another 73¢/litre to go yet before you catch us up.

R.
Old 01-09-05, 02:05
M38A1 CDN3

On a more serious note, with regard to the recent outrageous gas price hike, it's my opinion that this "trickle down" effect will affect the US' and in turn Canada's economy.

People will have to divert funds to gas purchases and not to other consumer goodies. You can't shop if you ain't got the bread!

On another note, I was led to believe that Canada was self sufficient in oil. So why in hell are we exporting the stuff? Wasn't the National Energy Policy all about that?

Just because some chick named Katerina destroys an "oil rich" area like the Gulf, why does that mean that Canada has to raise their prices?

Where's OPEC, here? Venezuala, Nigeria, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia didn't get hit with a hurricane, so what is the justification for the obscene price increases?

Locally, how many MV owners will think twice about firing up their historical gems in order to attend a particular event?

How many military collectors will think twice about travelling to a militaria or gun show?

How many local (GTA) guys are thinking twice about attending the Adamiak auction?

Something is going on over which we have no control.
Old 01-09-05, 03:35
Mr. HUP

Default What's Going On

Rhetorical question, Jon. And we ain't even being kissed. Come on fall election!
Old 01-09-05, 04:55

Default Positive spin....

Does that mean you guys are going to be selling your gas guzzling CMPs cheap...????

Rob knows I got a lot of parking space......hihihi....

A. Knowkneemuss.
Canada
Old 01-09-05, 11:45
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Gas Gas Gas

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
...The US upped the price 20 cents per gallon, we managed 20 cents per litre. What's that tell you?
Don't feel so bad, at least not yet. Watching CNN last night, I saw pictures of gas price boards down south showing between five and six dollars per gallon! Ten dollars' worth limit per purchase... methinks the shyte is going to hit the fan.

And Jon's right - we are a net exporter of petroleum... if our oil companies come in next quarter with record profits, I'm going to be pissed. The government won't do anything about it though... not only do they make more money every time thee prices go up, probably half the cabinet ministers are sitting on substantial chunks of pertroleum stocks and futures. :
Old 01-09-05, 15:04
3RD ECHELON WKSP

While watching last evening's news, it was stated that Canada is not really an importer of oil. We are self sustaining due to the fact that we produce more than we can use, in fact around 97% of the oil used here comes from here, with minimal US import.
The news was saying that the reason we go up in price is the fact that truly, we are a North American economy whose links go much further than one may think.
Oil prices are controlled through the NYSE.
It does piss me off for sure and the people I feel real sorry for are the ones who barely eek out their existance to begin with and hardly scrape by as it is.
Imagine a single parent family who now must pay an extra $10 or more on a weekly fill up. Yeah, it's only $10, but, add it up over a month, plus all the other commodities one needs.
The effects of this are going to be staggering as groceries, clothing, heating oil, consumer goods, insurance etc etc go through the roof.
I know of some people who will just have to stop driving altogether.
My Ford F150 has a 72L fuel tank.
Last couple weeks with the price around $1 per Litre that was around $70 for a total fill.
When I go to fill up today, let's see, 72 x $1.25 = $90
I know for sure that this will certainly keep me close to home, especially while being unemployed. Methinks a job in the big city is certainly out of the question. A F150 is nothing special and lots of us are getting royally screwed.
To answer the question of HMVs at events, again, it'll be close to home or a fuel stipend or no go.
I believe that something real bad is going to happen, soon.
This whole Katrina thing reminds me a lot of the WTC and 9/11.
I've the same doomsday feeling in my gut that I had then. Is it just me?
The economy of this nation is sitting on a razor's edge right now.
All it will take is a catastrophic event like this to push us over the edge...

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 01-09-05, 15:25
Stephen Kantner

Guys I live in south east PA here in the U.S.
And gas prices went up $0.40 a gallon in 24 hours.
A gallon of reg is $2.90 and I was told will peak at about $3.35
a gallon before the price comes back down.
Old 01-09-05, 19:32
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by 42mk1carrier
Guys I live in south east PA here in the U.S.
And gas prices went up $0.40 a gallon in 24 hours.
A gallon of reg is $2.90 and I was told will peak at about $3.35
a gallon before the price comes back down.
Hi Steve..
My daughter lives in Lake Forrest,north of Chicago.
She says there is nothing like a gas efficient car that she has seen yet...
All SUVs,high end powerfull cars,trucks and no Toyotas,Ford Focus,Honda Civics..
Of course she has only lived there a few months..Maybe they are hiding...
My point is that we will have to learn to drive less and drive smarter..
High oil prices are not going away...
Lets do the math...
one litre of regular gas in Ottawa....this morning...$1.27..
Now lets see...HMMMMMmmm.4.54 litres to one imperial gallon...
$5.77 Imperial gallon /Canadian dollars....
But wait...the US gallon is just a little bitty thing....
1 US gallon = 3.785 liters....
Jeez...This is getting complicated...I'll have to get out my cypherin' stick...HMMMMMmmmm...
But wait.....
One Canadian dollar is only worth .847 US$$$$$..
Or one US $$$ is worth $1.18 Canadian $$$$$$...
Jeez....I'm runnin' out of gas...I gotta have a beer...
Old 01-09-05, 21:07
Mr. HUP

Default Beer and Gas - There is a Relationship

Geez Alex,

Now Dalton is going to have to jack up the price of beer to raise new revenue. This is a form of liberal ekonomiks where the price of gas it so flippin high that we get depressed. Being so, we hit the bottle, demand goes up, more transportation is required, more demand on fuel, prices go higher, we get more depressed, hit the bottle, demand goes up...

Only ones smiling are the tax and spend governments who keep savagely rogering us, but being Cdn, all we do is moan (" Please, Sir, May I have some more") and promptly elect more fiberals.

Uh, Oh. me colours are showing...
Old 01-09-05, 23:18
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
On a more serious note, with regard to the recent outrageous gas price hike, it's my opinion that this "trickle down" effect will affect the US' and in turn Canada's economy.
As $CAN1.93 is our normal price, one may expect your politicians to point a finger here and comment that the UK economy is doing nicely on these prices.
Quote:
People will have to divert funds to gas purchases and not to other consumer goodies. You can't shop if you ain't got the bread!
We can show you how to do this as it's been a necessity of life for years.
Quote:
On another note, I was led to believe that Canada was self sufficient in oil. So why in hell are we exporting the stuff? Wasn't the National Energy Policy all about that?
We too have a net surplus pouring out of the North Sea, but they say this is not of the type that our refineries can handle; so, allegedly it is "exchanged" for the middle east product we are set up for.
Quote:
Just because some chick named Katerina destroys an "oil rich" area like the Gulf, why does that mean that Canada has to raise their prices?
I recall these events are a good excuse; our last occasion was a contretemp over the Suez Canal thus necessitating ships to take the long way round, however, even by that time tankers were too large to use it.

Quote:
Where's OPEC, here? Venezuala, Nigeria, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia didn't get hit with a hurricane, so what is the justification for the obscene price increases?
No OPEC here either, just the govt taxing the stuff. The easiest revenue raiser known to man, along with alcohol and baccy. The huge taxation is easily justified by global warming reduction and pollution clean-up costs for fuel issues, and health improvement with hospital cost reductions for beer and baccy.

Its all Bollocks (capital B, two L's) of course. However, it does net the govt a substantial and growing greeny PC vote.
Quote:
Locally, how many MV owners will think twice about firing up their historical gems in order to attend a particular event?
Most everyone here. Usually save up over the winter and do without other things. See "People will have to divert funds. . ." above.
Quote:
How many military collectors will think twice about travelling to a militaria or gun show?
Guns and their shows not allowed. We do think twice about militaria fairs and share a car.
Quote:
How many local (GTA) guys are thinking twice about attending the Adamiak auction?
Although AVTUR/JET A is untaxed and mere pence a gallon, that function is regrettably beyond our means.
Quote:
Something is going on over which we have no control.
Most probably. Which bit of "laugh all the way to the bank" are you having trouble with?

R.
Old 01-09-05, 23:47
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Trackers

I think Euan and other trackers may have some comments to make once they return home... I'm sure comments like:

"How many military collectors will think twice about travelling to a militaria or gun show?"

will be sure to cause a wry smile... so far on this trip a certain Chevrolet gun tractor has travelled 7,500km and will have covered some 10,000 km by the end, with fuel prices in the outback sometimes topping the A$2 per litre price.
All this and a full engine rebuild on the way.

Euan mentioned he was able to buy AVGAS at one location at about 40c cheaper per litre and actually had a grey tailpipe as a result of the lead which is still used in that fuel.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 02-09-05, 00:34

Most of eastern canada's oil comes from Venezuala and the middle east Oil from the west mainly goes south, it just makes sence to do it that way oil tankers are cheep transportation and by agreements the price is international. We do produce more NATURAL Gas than we use and so on petroleum products we are a net exporter, but if you count only CRUDE oil we are a net importer. Please, no talk of Imposing any National Energy Program on us lesser colonies out west.
Old 02-09-05, 01:00
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Moon
Most of eastern canada's oil comes from Venezuala and the middle east Oil from the west mainly goes south, it just makes sence to do it that way oil tankers are cheep transportation and by agreements the price is international. We do produce more NATURAL Gas than we use and so on petroleum products we are a net exporter, but if you count only CRUDE oil we are a net importer. Please, no talk of Imposing any National Energy Program on us lesser colonies out west.
Harry..
Both my girls were born in Red Deer Alberta,so when the West splits off,at least one of my girls will head back under the "Right to return" policy,and bring their "Ageing" parents with them....
Ralph will still be running the place and we'll have our half tons and rifle racks behind the seat and beer will be sold in grocery stores...
Now how does the Rodeo song go...??
The new Alberta national anthem...
Oh yeh....

THE RODEO SONG
(Gaye DeLorme)
Showdown - 1980

Well it's forty below and I don't give a ****
Got a heater in my truck and I'm off to the rodeo
And it's Allemande left and Allemande right
Come on ya ****in' dummy get your right step right
Get off stage ya goddam goof, ya know

Ya piss me off, ya ****in' jerk, get on my nerves

Well here comes Johnny with his pecker in his hand
He's a one ball man and he's off to the rodeo

Ya piss me off, ****in' jerk, get on my nerves

Well it's forty below and I ain't got a truck
And I don't give a **** 'cause I'm off to the rodeo
It's Allemande left and Allemande right

Ya piss me off, ya ****in' jerk, get on my nerves

Well here comes Johnny with his pecker in his hand
He's a one ball man and he's off to the rodeo

Ya piss me off, ****in' jerk, ya get on my nerves
Old 02-09-05, 07:14
Richard Notton

Default Re: Trackers

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
. . . . . . .and actually had a grey tailpipe as a result of the lead which is still used in that fuel.
Ah, real petrol with TEL, grey streaks over wings and cowlings.

Condemned to extinction by the worlds do-gooders, greenys and politicians who failed, or refused, to understand the chemistry.

Metallic lead being dangerous if you eat such items as roof flashings, whereas the TEL is necessarily catalysed from an oxide to a halide as part of the combustion process to clear it from the cylinders and is water soluble.

Infinitely more damage done by fishermans' weights and spent lead shot than the millions of tons of lead halide harmlessly washed away and bio-degraded. Hence the hushed-up lab results of the pre-Roman (pre-lead) preserved remains here that found the lead content in the bones identical to that of a 1960/70's (TEL heyday) cadaver. We'd find Sodium (Na) or Chlorine (Cl) quite deadly, but as NaCl or table salt it is virtually harmless and in fact essential to human life.

U turns are of course politically undesirable.

I think I've been here before, best shut up. . . .

R.
Old 02-09-05, 07:20
West Coaster

Default Bio Diesel

Some interesting initiatives underway in the Bio Diesel industry. A process known as "fast pyrolisys" of wood fibre will produce a good oil at %75 efficiency. The resulting oil though only has about %50 pf the BTUs of refined petro oils. Not so good for trucks but likely good for blending or home heating use. Governments are not road taxing the bio oils, or that portion of bio oil as blended with petro oils. So a 20% mix SHOULD result in a lower pump price for diesel. I understand that a mix is also good for the diesel engines. What I don't understand is why some NA manufacturers don't approve of purer bio oil use in their engines. Anyone?

Cheers
JD
Old 02-09-05, 07:42
Richard Notton

Default Re: Bio Diesel

Quote:
Originally posted by JD Baillie
Governments are not road taxing the bio oils, or that portion of bio oil as blended with petro oils.
The British Govt does.

If you make your own bio-diesel here and use it in a road vehicle then you must declare this to HM Customs & Excise, and pay the duty. Evasion of Customs dues here is regarded as very serious, penalties can be swingeing.

C&E here also have (warrantless) powers of search and seize well beyond that of the police too.

R.
Old 02-09-05, 14:19
3RD ECHELON WKSP

FV623, with all due respect, the nation we call Canada, CANNOT survive with fuel prices like these!
Maybe in the UK you can handle it. With your excellent public transit system, small economical autos, a public awareness and co-operation in terms of pooling, plus the fact that your nation is tiny compared to the average province here.
Do you have any idea how many transport trucks are used in this country? It is over 5000km coast to coast.
It will have a domino effect on our economy, as the fuel is surcharged on everything from the Post, to food, consumer goods etc.
On CTV this morning a comparison was done using last Sept gas prices. About .79L in Sept 2004. Now $1.29L in Sept 2005.
An average fill then was $40, now it's $65.
The poor taxicab driver's are at a point where its costing them to work as prices are regulated by local municipalities.
When is this going to end?

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 02-09-05, 14:34

Default OK who has the plans for a charcoal gas unit.

Charcoal gas units were used in many countries during the war. So where do we find the plans for the gas unit and the carburetor adapter? I would assume that the carburetor adapter is very similar to propane unit. I’m getting interested enough that I’d like to try and set up a small generator as an experiment.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 02-09-05, 15:29
former Resident Historian

Default PRICES!

Our local petrol station is charging 98.9 pence per litre for Unleaded and Diesel! Disgusting! Yet one Tesco superstore charges 92.9 and another some miles away charges 89.9! On the radio Wiltshire County Council are using vehicles running on Biodiesel, which I believe is made from Rape seed oil. There's enough Rape growing around the south...or you could use vegetable or corn oil and you had as just been aid, declare it to the Customs men because driving around using it makes your vehicle smell like a Fish & Chip shop!
Old 02-09-05, 15:48
Stephen Kantner

BiG Steve here in Eastern PA The price of gas has gone up again
to $3.19 a U.S gallon a $0.20 jump in 1 day
Do you think I can convert my carrier to solar power???????
Old 02-09-05, 15:52

Default Re: OK who has the plans for a charcoal gas unit.

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Waterman
Charcoal gas units were used in many countries during the war. So where do we find the plans for the gas unit and the carburetor adapter? I would assume that the carburetor adapter is very similar to propane unit. I’m getting interested enough that I’d like to try and set up a small generator as an experiment.
I've also heard of wood-burning vehicles used particularly in occupied countries back then. I've never taken the time to try and find out how they worked, but I must admit the concept continues to fascinate me! Keep us posted on your findings, Phil...
Old 02-09-05, 16:04

Quote:
Originally posted by chris vickery
FV623, with all due respect, the nation we call Canada, CANNOT survive with fuel prices like these!....

...Do you have any idea how many transport trucks are used in this country? It is over 5000km coast to coast.....
What must be understood is the sheer width and breadth of North America and our dependence upon truck transport to bridge those distances and all points in between. While rail is viable between major centres, it's impossible to even conceive of extending that network everywhere. Everything we use, from lumber to food must inevitably be loaded on a truck at some point.

And I daresay, the distance from coast to coast is probably more like 4500 miles if you're measuring the road distance. Hey Yappy, look that up for us! Halifax to Vancouver by road, without shortcuts through the States. Report back accordingly.

As an aside, although I hate living in Toronto, thank god I get to take the streetcar to work....

Old 02-09-05, 17:30
Vets Dottir

Default mileage

Your demand is obeyed here Sunray ...

I found this page for Canadian distances:

Km:
http://www.trailcanada.com/travel/ge...-distances.asp

Miles: (has milage between Canada and States as well )

http://www.directions.ca/sections/places/miles.html

Halifax to Victoria: 6185 km / 3815 miles

Halifax to Vancouver: 6119 km / 3750 miles

That's a lotta gas-argh!

Obedient Yappy
Old 02-09-05, 23:16
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by chris vickery
FV623, with all due respect, the nation we call Canada, CANNOT survive with fuel prices like these!
Well, you would know the details of your infrastructure better than I.
Quote:
Maybe in the UK you can handle it. With your excellent public transit system, small economical autos, a public awareness and co-operation in terms of pooling,
I think everyone here would take gross exception to "excellent public transit system", it is far from that, its slow, unreliable, inconvenient and hugely expensive; often cheaper by car unbelievably. In a recent bit of govt and greeny embarrassment, they had to admit that a full Intercity HS125 (125mph) actually causes more pollution than the train-load driving their cars.

We've been forced into small cars from before WWII because of the original hypothetical road tax system that rated cars on the RAC HP rating, this is the thing that throws people across the pond as the Ford CMP manual states it as a 32HP engine whilst you all know it physically makes 90HP.
Pre-war you would pay a pound a year for each HP of rating, a typical trade salary in 1938 would be 200GBP/yr before tax or about 135GBP after taxation, so about 12 pounds a month. So an Austin 7, about as small as you could get, would be around a years salary and nearly a month's pay just to tax, before petrol and insurance.

Not many had cars, and then they were small, only the exceedingly well-off could afford a 32HP Ford or 25HP Morris.

It is also surprising that the typical average annual domestic car mileage between N. America and the UK is very similar at some 12,000 - 15,000 miles. (According to the Canadian AAA)

Quote:
plus the fact that your nation is tiny compared to the average province here.
I think that's a complete fallacy when trucking is involved. Since your mile and hour is the same as ours, then a driver on a 10 hour day averaging 30mph be it in Canada or the UK does 300 miles, that is only halfway up our country. Sure our truckers may make several drops or collections but they commonly do continental European trips too (Poland and back is a fair trip), plus of course they have to obey draconian rules enforced by the hard-copy tachograph in the cab, they are legally speed governed too by hardware, 56mph is the absolute top whack downhill although 51mph is the official limit but they let you have 10% "error". (Annually tested too with all the truck and trailer systems at your expense)
Again, you may be surprised to find the typical UK truck annual average mileage isn't a whole lot different from yours. Diesel oil is a lot more expensive than petrol here too.

Quote:
Do you have any idea how many transport trucks are used in this country?
Well, according to Transport Canada, some 371,032; leaving out farm trucks, non-cargo/off road and couriers, but including "government" trucks; Statistics Canada reports some 320,000 employed in the Canadian truck industry with 263,000 employed as drivers; presumably one driver drives just one truck.

The UK gov reports 430,000 trucks registered for the UK of 3.5 ton payload and upwards, our "govt trucks" would be military only and not included. Also not included are the British owned, UK operated, but registered in Belgium (Flag of convenience) trucks to minimise the road tax (Vehicle Excise Duty) costs since the UK rate for a semi rig can be anywhere from 1200GBP to some 1800GBP a year; that's $CAN 2,628.96 to $CAN 3,942.44
Quote:
It is over 5000km coast to coast.
It will have a domino effect on our economy, as the fuel is surcharged on everything from the Post, to food, consumer goods etc.
Don't forget that we have some 60,441,457 people here (24th in world rankings) all wanting well-stocked supermarkets, you only have half that at some 32,805,401 (37th in the world), our people are spread all over the country; yours are more localised with vast expanses of unpopulated wilderness. We already live with more than these prices and have a lower standard of living since a lot has to give for the average Joe just to keep a home, eat and clothe the family.
Quote:
On CTV this morning a comparison was done using last Sept gas prices. About .79L in Sept 2004. Now $1.29L in Sept 2005.
An average fill then was $40, now it's $65.
Our diesel is now just shy of 1GBP/litre or $CAN 2.18897
We now learn our fuel is to rocket further upwards too because of a certain hurricane even more thousands of miles away. Apparently some 8 US refineries are totally destroyed and all US facilities were at 100% capacity meeting the regular demand, therefore there is a shortfall and apparently the US doesn't keep generous reserves as we do. We are to ship refined fuel across the pond therefore and we're told this is upping the price here.

Do you think it will settle back to what it was?

I think not.
Quote:
The poor taxicab driver's are at a point where its costing them to work as prices are regulated by local municipalities.
Same here.
Quote:
When is this going to end?
I guess if we knew that we'd all be billionaires on the futures markets.

R.
Old 03-09-05, 00:20

Default Re: Re: OK who has the plans for a charcoal gas unit.

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
I've also heard of wood-burning vehicles used particularly in occupied countries back then. I've never taken the time to try and find out how they worked, but I must admit the concept continues to fascinate me! Keep us posted on your findings, Phil...
Keith will have heard of this guy, Kurt Johannsen, a pioneer of road train transport in Northern Territory, Australia. In his retirement he travelled the bush in a 1972 Dodge Coronet station wagon. He converted it to run on wood gas and picked up wood on his travels. It was not the first vehicle he had converted, during the war he converted a 1928 Studebaker ute. He worked it out that 1.5 pounds of wood was used per mile while travelling at a top speed of 65mph !!

Richard
Old 03-09-05, 01:12
Mr. HUP

Default Wood Burner, eh?

I'm going to do a web-search on this type of propulsion. Heaven knows that we have a lot of dead wood here in Ottawa. I note with displeasure another rise in gas prices. Hmmm, them poor billonaires must be stocking up in case some politician grows a spine and puts this charade to rest.

A local classic rock station (CHEZ106.com) is urging us to carry out a silent protest called: "Suck My Gas Day "

"When: September 07, 2005
Where: Ottawa
Wednesday September 7th... A day that will go down in history as the day we gave it to the man!

Ottawa's Classic Rock CHEZ 106 Presents Suck My Gas Day! Next Wednesday, we encourage you to only get $6.21 in gas when going to the pumps.

Why $6.21? The 6 represents the 6th letter of the alphabet F... and the 21 cents representing the 21st letter (which we'll let you figure out).

Let's show the Government we need a gas tax break with Suck my Gas Day. Presented by Ottawa's Classic Rock CHEZ 106"

Shameless promo of my fav classic rock station, yes, but it is also a way to feel a little better about the BS we are being force-fed.

One caller noted that instead of reward points, the gas companies are going to issue tubes of personal lubricant so it does not hurt so much when they ram...you get the idea.

Is it fall yet?
Old 03-09-05, 02:26
David Pope

Default Trucking in Canada

I figure I should clear up some of this confusion about trucking in Canada. When we talk about trucking it's 5 to 9 axle semis grossing 42 to 65 tonnes. Tandems and smaller are for local use only. Truckers are expected to run 800 miles a day without a co-driver.
We bought a 7 year old semi for our farm use and it had 1.5 million miles on it. We have a grain box on the truck and pull a 4 axle 35 foot trailer behind it. This unit grosses at 53.5 tonnes and we haul our grain anywhere from 50 to 300 miles as conditions warrant, and that's still 1000 miles from export position.
I live 15 miles from town and our farm is 20 miles between the extreme parcels of land. If we need machinery parts that's either 50 or 120 miles away depending on what's needed. With stuff spread out like this I put 100 miles on my pickup almost every day.
I guess I shouldn't complain though since gas in town today was still $1.03 per litre, but I'm sure that won't last long.
Old 03-09-05, 03:07
Mr. HUP

Default GAS ENVY

David,

Saskatchewan is looking mighty attractive - as far as gas prices go.

By the way, are you located close to Dog River?
Old 03-09-05, 03:20

Default crops around Eston

How have growing conditions been this summer.Will you have enough grain to break even after harvest costs.