MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 28-04-21, 21:32

Default To bow or just nod your head.....

Hi Hanno.

I am resigned to removing the bows unless I keep the canvass on full time.

Sea cans are nice and secure but they do have limitations.

My 3 box is definitely 2B1 of which I am making one from the best. We managed to save the best for the rebuild since it has a decent floor and fender wells in place........ yes photos will follow.

My cab 11 is allegedly early production ...Fall 1940 for 4x4....... but the box came from a Cab 12.

It looks like we will be using one piece water pipes schedule 40 (standard) 3/4 ID pipe...... no union. Hoping not to make mistakes in the bending process or will cut.......make and insert....weld and grind and paintover. In fact it maybe easier to do all the bends at the proper radius-ed with my hydraulic bender then fit them together with perfect length.

Now I am not sure if I can used the hooks you showed on a 2B1 in particular the first one behind the cab with the box drop sides and the special corner shaped locking bracket/clamp......

Waiting for the POR to dry right now..... the rotisserie has proven to be a great time and back saver........ how ever when it comes to painting the under side the mounting frame section I am using got in the way ...so we lowered the box on shop horses....removed the u bolts and lifted the rotisserie support as high as we could go then went on with the painting....more like dabbing and slapping the POR coating into every nook and cranny......messy even with rubber gloves. Will reconnect to the rotisserie to finish the top side. Eventually the bottom side will get rubber spray coating then i coat of gloss OD then 2 coats of flat OD. Top side still needs the head board and tailgate fabricated .

Cheers
Canada
Old 02-05-21, 01:56

Hello Bob.

I was just out in the back garden with our puppy and noticed our gate in the chain link fence and its construction caught my eye. Photos attached.

The pipe used appears to be a 1.25 inch OD and the gate is formed in two vertical C-shaped sections fitted together at the centre points. Normally, this type of sleeved fitting involved flaring one end to a larger diameter to accept the nominal sized pipe. In this case, one pipe end is drawn to a smaller diameter to fit inside the nominal pipe size so a much smoother outer diameter is maintained.

This looks like a technique that might work well in fabricating CMP top bows and Chain Link Fence suppliers might have access to pipe sizes that would work, so I thought I would pass it along.

David
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1697.JPG   IMG_1698.JPG  
Old 02-05-21, 18:53

Default Thanks for the tip......

Thanks David......... as soon as the lock down is lifted I will look up the fencing contractors............ or look for a neighbors fence I can take down.

Bob C
Canada
Old 15-06-21, 17:14

Default Longitudinal pipes

Bob, Those longitudinal pipes that I gave you - I think the union join is bogus in that the original civvy owner of the F8 here in Kingston (a Mr. Montgomery!) had not realised that the front and rear transverse bows had an offset base to allow the bows to be flush against each respective end. Rather amazingly, he had installed them wrong way round - so needed to shorten the longitudinals by about 6 ins, to match! He cut and rejoined them as they are now. Too short for the correct fitting on the F8 which is why I passed them on! Jonathan now has my old F8 and could check the dimensions of the original existing transverse bows. Tom Lodge and I made the replacement longitudinals from commonly available conduit and they looked fine. The bows on the cab 12 F and C 8's were entirely different from the later C/F15A's - but the pipe may have been the same.
Old 15-06-21, 17:24

Default The ex-John S C15A

By the way, Bob, the ex- John S C15a was ex- me before that - and I bought it from the late Lorne Ertl who had restored it. He may well have rebuilt/created the bows so they may no be entirely original.
Old 19-06-21, 04:23

Default Thank you sir.

..... will we ever see one another this Summer????
Canada
Old 22-06-21, 01:17

Default Getting MV meets going again

Bob
Let's hope that 2022 will see the gatherings starting up again - but I fear that it may take a real effort to get things going again. I sense that Kingston Bivouac may have lost its steam! Hope not.
Old 22-06-21, 18:06

Default Check this out.....

There are advertising showing a Sterling show for July24/25th

and a Napanee car show for mid August..... as well as Lindsay???

Can you check around and possibly meet then.....
Canada
Old 26-04-22, 03:14
Mariano Paz

Factory Pics
Attached Thumbnails
ND-160.jpg   ND-161.jpg  

1944 Ariel W/NG
1945 FGT FAT
Old 26-04-22, 19:31

Default Bows now done.....

We borrowed what seems like NOS bows from Bruce Gill, new owner of Erlt's truck, and made them using the hydraulic pipe bender from Princess Auto.

The bending has to done in slow increments every few inches and the master bender is Grant Bowker...... after looking at the allegedly originals bows or hoops .....we settled on 3/4 inch ID schedule 40 water pipe that measures about 1 1/16 OD with 1/8 inch wall thickness........ done in two section for ease of handling and then butt welded at the center top with the MIG welder.....fabricated the box side clips of 3/4 x 1/4 steel strapping and welded in place.

Fits a 2C1 as well as a 2B1 perfectly........ the four joining horizontal side pieces were done by flattening the pipe with the Hydraulic press and drilled for the pin.

Looks factory made.

NOTE...... the Sterling auto flea market cancelled last year is coming up this weekend.....worth attending.

Cheers
Canada