MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 29-09-17, 13:07

Do you have any reference photos of the installed ready rack door you can post, Darryl?

That and some photos of your actual door set up might help us visualize what you are dealing with a bit better.

Also wondering how much gap is actually behind the ready rack for the shell heads to clear the sponson wall?

David
Old 29-09-17, 20:36
Darryl

Default M8

Hi David

Thanks for the reply.

There is plenty of room for the shell heads when they are fitted into the ready rack. The rack seems to 'sit' in place just fine, but I figured it must be secured using this front mounts somehow.

I've attached a couple of pictures of other setups. You can see that the rotating door latch locks under the front lip of the radio tray. With my setup, if I fit the radio tray on the mounting tabs with the existing mounting holes lined up, there is about a 40mm gap between the front lip of the shelf and the top of the ready rack. There is a smaller gap at the rear.

If I pull the shelf forward so that it sits above the ready rack in a position so that the door can latch to the front lip, the gap at the rear is about 60mm. I would have thought that is quite wide, but then I don't really know. Looking at these other photos, they seem to have similar gaps.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
m8_28.jpg   DSC_0386.JPG   10341674_842966755733125_3821547453514927727_n.jpg   18489481_424224531287651_4508742873481346234_o.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car
Old 29-09-17, 21:17

Darryl.

There seems to be two versions of the tray here that are factory stamped and possibly one repro. One factory version has the two short cross channels stamped completely through the two longitudinal ones. On your version, the two short channels terminate at the rear longitudinal channel.

If we ignore the possible (completely flat) repro for the moment, the remaining two, including yours, have a few common features.

The forward edge lip is continuous and un-notched.
They both have to align at the front of the ready rack for the ready rack door to work.
When in that forward position, there is a large gap at the rear sponson wall.
The hole patterns and photo indicate that whatever radio mount is installed, it is done so at the rear portion of the tray, not the forward portion.

This would suggest the gap at the rear of the tray is there for some reason, related to either the ammo storage or the radio set. It is likely a valid 'feature'.

The rearward mounting of the radio would provide some form of limited workspace for the radio operator and perhaps help prevent radio cabling from snagging in the ready rack door. It would also help prevent the radio from getting bumped and the dials being knocked off frequency.

Just a late thought. Maybe the gap at the rear has something to do with where and how some of the radio cables were routed?

David
Old 29-09-17, 22:38
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi David

Good spotting. I didn't immediately pick up the fact that my shelf and the other stamped shelf were slightly different. I agree that the last photo shows what is probably a repro shelf.

I've attached a few pictures of my shelf when I first got it. It still had the FT237 radio tray attached and shows that spacing at the front.

You make a good point about the cabling at the rear. That could well be a pointer. I guess I could fit the radio tray again and set the shelf up in the very forward position again over the ready rack and see how it looked.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0604.jpg   IMG_0605.jpg   IMG_0610.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
Old 30-09-17, 02:21

Darryl.

Check your last photo of the bottom view of the radio mount. Notice how the rear most channel of the mount overhangs the rear gap in the sponson?

On the upper side view, there are what seem to be two quick connect electrical plugs, each with a set of guide pins, on that channel for a couple of pieces of radio gear.

On the underside, is here anything suggesting where the power feed cable for those two connection plugs would run. Maybe a big fat power cable drops out of that channel and uses some of that gap to head off either left or right to meet up with some batteries.

David
Old 30-09-17, 11:24
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi David,

Yes, I think the overhang of the FT237 over the back of the radio shelf would account for the gap of 30mm or so with the shelf in the normal position, as I have it sitting in my photos. I think I now need to fit the FT237 and put the radio shelf back in, but bring it right to the front of the sponson so that the door can latch onto it. Then I can check the gap at the back in when it is in that position.

There is no guarantee I will have an FT237 on that particular shelf. My intention was to put the FT237 and the radio set up on the other side. The M8's often had two radios so dependent on how it looks with the FT237 in the same side as the ready rack, I might look to get a second FT237 and radio set up and set that lot up over the ready rack.

Out of curiousity, I've asked a couple of contacts who have M8's about their shelf and the gap at the back and I will see what they come back with as well.

Thanks for your assistance. It helps to have someone else to discuss the problem with and bounce a few ideas around!

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
Old 05-10-17, 10:58
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi all,

More on what I’ve done on the M8 over the last few days.

I’ve done some more work on the sponson shelf and the 37mm ready rack. I’ll post pictures of these once I’m done. I’ve also modified the engine mounts but will leave finalising them until I’m in a position to put the engine block in and make sure everything lines up.

As I mentioned in my last post, I’m working on getting the engine cover mounting plate fabricated. Does anyone have a picture of the underside of this? I can see there are folded sections on each side on the underside which form part of the mounting for it. I figure the folded pieces are just 90 degree pieces stitch welded to the edge of the engine cover hinge mounting plate, much the same as the fuel tank cover setup (as shown in the photo) I’d like to confirm this if I can though with a photograph of the underside of this.

I’ve drawn up a rough sketch based on what dimensions I’ve worked out so far.

The engine covers are one of my next jobs while I am sorting out the engine cover mounting plate. These both have some bullet damage. I may just clean the holes up a little and leave them as is. I will need to get some new hinges rolled up for one cover, and the other piece of the hinges for the mounting plate. What do the locking tabs on the locking arms look like? Does anyone have a photo of this please?

I have acquired the other front shock absorber mount (thanks Willy). I’ve also got a repro jerry can holder for the driver’s seat (thanks Sylvain) which I am putting together.

The fuel tank supports are straightened and ready to fit. The throttle slave cylinder has been refurbished and is ready to paint. I sourced what I think is a French made Dodge WC brake master cylinder which will become the clutch master cylinder. I’ve had a stainless steel sleeve put into this as well and that is also ready to paint.
Attached Thumbnails
20171005_175535.jpg   20171005_175544.jpg   20171005_175917.jpg   20171005_175947.jpg   20171005_175956.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
Old 05-10-17, 11:00
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

More photos.
Attached Thumbnails
20171005_180002.jpg   20171005_180025.jpg   Engine cover plate.JPG   20171005_212131.jpg   20171005_212223.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
Old 05-10-17, 19:39
Bluebell

Darryl, if it is Dodge WC, it is from a half tonner. It should be 1 1/4" bore.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 20-10-17, 09:31
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi Lynn

Thanks for that. Sorry, I missed your post.

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
Old 20-10-17, 09:55
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi all,

I managed to get one of the guys in the workshop to give me a hand over the last couple of days and we got a fair bit done on the M8.

I wasn’t able to source another headlight guard so we fabricated one based on the one I had. I drew up some profiles, and got it cut out of 6mm plate. We then folded it to the correct radius and with a bit of panel-beating to get the shape correct we fitted it on the hull. I think it looks pretty good.

I used all the photos I could find of the engine cover mounting plate and managed to muddle my way through to a plan for fabricating a new one. What wasn’t clear to me was whether the underside of this mounting plate was a single piece of channel, or whether it was two pieces of 90 degree folded steel like the pieces under the fuel tank cover.

In the end I plumped for a similar construction to what was on the underside of the fuel tank cover and we put something together. We used a length of 5mm thickness box section and cut it so that there were two 90 degree pieces of the right width. These formed the reinforcing sides of the engine cover hinge mounting plate. We welded tabs on each end for the bolt mounting holes.

Rolling up new hinges like the originals would have involved a bit of work so I elected to get a bit of steel bar and run holes through the centre with a lathe, and then weld these onto flat bar to make up the two piece hinges.

The finished product is not perfect but I'm very happy with it. Both engine covers appear to have a little twist on one of their corners, and so sit a little high in those corners. I guess they’ve been in a war, so it shouldn’t be too surprising. I figure they should straighten themselves out a bit once everything is in place and the locking handles are fitted. I will make up some proper pins for the hinges when I get some spare time.

Thanks to Sylvain, I got the measurements of the locking handles and the lifting handles for the engine covers so I'm getting these folded as well.

I moved the mounts for the radio tray shelf above the ammo rack so that this shelf sits flush with the door over the 37mm ready rack. As David points out, there seems to be a couple of variants in the sizing of this shelf. A wider shelf would look better but if I put another FT-237 radio tray onto it, it won’t be a problem.

I also fabricated some mounts for the 37mm ammo rack to fix this in place and cleaned out the broken bolts that secured the First Aid kit bracket and tapped some new holes for the bracket to be fitted. A bit of paint on that and the protecto-scope box I picked up and they will be ready to fit.

I realised I hadn’t done a final fit of the tool lockers after the welding repairs so I tried them out and did a bit of adjusting. They are pretty good and a bit of dressing up of the welds and joints and they will be fine. The two repro locker lids I got and the two originals I had still need a bit of tweaking with the hinges, so I will be finalising them over the next few days.

I decided to get the rear engine mounts sorted now before I got the hull blasted and painted, so am in the process of sorting that. I will lower the block into the engine bay and bolt it to the front cross-member so I can confirm the length of the rear engine mounts. The lengths of these two repro mounts aren’t quite right, and the mounting holes at the end for bolting to the rear of the hull have the wrong hole pattern. I have made new plates to bolt to the end of the hull and I will cut the existing ones off these mounts, tack everything in place with the block in-situ and then weld them up out of the hull once I’m happy with the placement.

I am ordering the OD paint next week and now looking ahead to a date when I can get the hull and turret blasted and painted. The blasters have quite a workload so it could be a few weeks before the M8 can be done. I’ll get some progress photos of the progress, as I want to see the hull markings as they come up under the blasting.
Attached Thumbnails
20171020_151358.jpg   20171020_151550.jpg   20171020_151612.jpg   20171020_151912.jpg   20171020_151335.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
Old 20-10-17, 10:01
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

More photos.
Attached Thumbnails
20171019_112220.jpg   20171018_100329.jpg   20171019_093739.jpg   Covers 4.jpg   Covers 3.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
Old 21-10-17, 13:05
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default hoses

Darryl

Have you seen these ? Don't know if these would be still useable

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-NOS-WW...EAAMXQVT9S9~0~
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 21-10-17, 22:08
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi Mike

Thanks for that. I actually have a set of brake lines already, but thanks for keeping an eye out for me. Its nice to know others are watching out for parts for me!

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
Old 21-10-17, 23:47

Again, amazing work being done on your M8. When you get that new paint on the whole vehicle and all the effort you put into saving it will look 300% better, it will really pop. Keep up the work and posts and I say that your and Collins Vicker tank restores are the best threads (for me) going.
Old 22-10-17, 05:44
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi James,

Thanks for that. That is nice of you to say. Yes, I am looking forward to the sand-blasting and painting stage. It feels close enough now that I can almost taste the blasting!

As for Colin's thread on the Vickers; all I can say is wow. Like many others, I just sit back in awe of what Colin can do!

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
Old 28-10-17, 10:02
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi all,

I have now sorted the repro rear engine mounts. My engine crane didn’t have the height to get the engine block over the side of the hull, so I used a forklift to lower the block into the engine bay. After that I was able to use the engine crane to jiggle the block into place. I raised the engine into the front mounts, clamped the rear mounts down on the cross member, and once I was happy with the placement, drilled the mounting holes in the new cross member.

The repro mounts were about the correct length but the bolt spacing on the back where the mounts attach to the hull was well off. I chopped off the ends of the mounts and welded on the new bolt mounting plates I made. The hole spacing on the sheet metal plate that goes under the engine mounts was also out, so I have drilled new holes through that. Not sure why the repro mounts weren’t right but I guess there were differences in the hulls over time which could account for that.

I finished off the engine cover mounting plate by cutting and shaping it at the rear end to clear the radiator, and adding a few footman loops.

The hull and turret are booked in for the blasting and painting on 13th and 14th November so I am looking forward to that. In the meantime, I’ve started work on a few other things to keep me amused.

I am in the process of removing the recoil system from the mantlet. There are a couple of screws holding this in place so I will soak them with penetrant for a while before I try cracking them.

The generator will need a little bit of work…. It does rotate, so that is something. Hopefully the internals are in reasonable shape.

I’ve finalised the jerry can bracket on the driver’s seat and also completed all the tool lockers and lids.

I have started removing the end covers off the fuel tank. The wee screws and nuts are pretty stuck so each one is a battle, and there are a heap of them! I am still a bit undecided on what to do with the fuel tank. I have seen NOS bladders come up for sale but they are expensive (about 800 EURO from what I've seen). The vehicle will not get a lot of use and I am reluctant to spend that sort of money if I can’t maintain the bladder, so at this stage I am inclined to make (or find) a fuel tank that will go inside the original enclosure.

What are other’s opinions on this?
Attached Thumbnails
20171025_142543.jpg   20171025_150036.jpg   20171028_114141.jpg   20171028_130256.jpg   20171028_190920.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
Old 28-10-17, 10:03
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

The rest of the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
20171024_180556.jpg   20171028_191115.jpg   20171028_132608.jpg   20171028_132645.jpg   20171028_130234.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
Old 28-10-17, 18:45

Nice progress, Darryl.

With regards to the fuel bladders, I would be suspicious of any NOS stock manufactured prior to the existence of modern ethanol loaded fuels. They just might not be able to handle the ethanol without causing serious problems for you.

I personally like to go as original as possible, but sometimes ‘progress’ simply gets in the way. Might be worth a chat with a nearby military base to see what they are currently using for fuel bladders. Then see if they are made somewhere ‘locally’. The manufacturer just might be able to help you source the right materials, or make a set for you if you have patterns or originals they can work from.

David
Old 28-10-17, 22:04

David, go tank in tank and save yourself a heap of grief that may, or may not, work as original with a bladder. Unless Clark Kent is looking at the vehicle and its fuel tank nobody will ever know (unless you tell them or they read it on MLU) that the tank is modded. Great work and I enjoy following the progress of a restoration(s) done right. I say restorations as the overall campaign of a detailed and large restoration such as yours is really umpteen small battles won to get it accomplished.
Old 29-10-17, 08:19
Bluebell

Darryl, If you wanted to go down the track of a fuel cell, talk to the guys who do race cars. price and size might shift you back to a tank in tank set up.
Genny should be Std. QMC part, with the 12 volt Dodges and Fords using these (Autolite) 60 amp generators. with varying end plates. (same as Scoutcar???)
Take both generator and voltage regulator to the auto electrician, together.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 29-10-17, 09:47
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi David, James and Lynn,

Thanks for the replies. I have to say that after doing some more research, I have been leaning toward a stainless steel tank that will fit into the tank enclosure. That would ensure the correct 'look' while making it a practical solution. From what I've seen, others have had success doing it this way.

In saying that, I did have someone on another forum describe how he used the bladder enclosure itself as the tank. He removed the bladder, reapired the metalwork, sealed the ends, had a specialist coat the inside and refitted some of the ports from the bladder onto the metalwork of the enclosure. A bit of work, but another good solution with the correct look.

Lynn - the generator is a beast, and bigger and heavier than the scout car one. I have nearly got it apart and will look at the innards and see what I can do with it. I have a new mount and some parts for it. I'll take the generator and regulator to the Auto guys once I've gone as far as I can go with it.

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
Old 29-10-17, 20:25

Hey Big D
Just a question ? Have you ever done any out reach within the M8 owners community and asked about what others have done regarding the tank/fuel/bladder issue ? I am sure that others have gone down the road you are on and come up with all kinds of creative solutions. G503 would be a good jumping off point to get connected (if you are not already).
Old 29-10-17, 20:51
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi James,

Yes, I did ask around a few M8 folks who'd 'been there, done that' and the idea of getting a stainless steel tank made up to go in the enclosure was a common theme.

I have a similar restoration thread to this one going on g503 and a guy posted there about using modifying the existing enclosure to become the actual fuel tank.

All good food for thought!

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
Old 13-11-17, 07:00
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi all,

Here is another update.

I finally got the fuel cell out of its enclosure. The screws and nuts holding the panels at each end of the shroud are a bugger to get out. I had to use vice grips on the head of each screw as a screwdriver was just not going to do it. The cardboard inside was for the most part still in one piece but there was lots of loose rust inside. The sheet metal on my enclosure was obviously not as good as I thought and I think the paint was the only thing holding some of it together. There was also some fibreglass repairs, presumably done by the Italians?

The cell itself had obviously hardened over time as it was an absolute pig to get out of the enclosure. As you can see by the photos, I had to resort to creative ways to get it out of the shroud and all up I must have spent 4 hours mucking around with different methods to try to drag it out. In the end, I finally got it out of the enclosure far enough where I could remove the filler cap and then I put the crane hook on the cell itself which really got it moving.

The cell itself still looks in reasonable condition but I won’t be using it. The idea of taking that out again if there is a problem makes me cringe! I will opt for a stainless steel tank option I think.

The courier dropped off a nice package the other day. Lots of electrical conduit including the elusive junction box that sits on the engine cross member. I had not seen another one of these around so many thanks to Reg for these.

I have a number of engine blocks to drop off to the reconditioners to see what they can do with them. All need lots of work but I’m sure they can make one good engine out of this lot. I have new pistons and sleeves and now need to order the right bearings etc. It looks like one of the blocks had some service with the Greeks.
Attached Thumbnails
20171108_155433.jpg   20171112_123641.jpg   20171113_133102.jpg   20171113_133247.jpg   20171113_133311.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
Old 13-11-17, 07:01
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

More photos.
Attached Thumbnails
20171108_180231.jpg   20171108_180259.jpg   20171111_095736.jpg   20171109_162229.jpg   20171109_164906.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
Old 04-12-17, 10:12
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi all,

Here is another update on the M8.

The sandblaster is a bit snowed under with work, and things haven’t progressed yet on the blasting and painting, so while I’ve been waiting I’ve been working on a few other things.

I’ve been doing the final repairs on all the sheet metal. In keeping with this M8’s very ‘used’ look, I have not repaired every bit of damage on the exterior sheet metal. I still want it to show signs of field use. I’ve straightened the large rear guards and cut out the corroded bits of metal and spliced in new sections. There are a few bullet holes in the guards and there are some signs of field repairs such as welded splits in the steel, which I have just tidied up a bit rather than removing the old repair.

I have cut out and patched most of the corrosion holes in the fuel cell enclosure. There was a lot more corrosion in there than I thought and I’ll probably see a bit more coming through once the enclosure has been blasted. I probably should have got it blasted first, but...... The enclosure is just there to hold the new stainless steel tank I will build anyway, so I am focussed mainly on having it structurally sound while looking original and being relatively tidy.

The panels on the transfer case protective shield are now straight and ready for painting. I’ve also tidied up the front inner and outer guards and replaced any obvious rotten material in them. They are pretty tidy, albeit fairly well-used.

I’ve also been doing some work in tidying up the rear junction box and conduit. These are starting to look a little better now. I am still after one of the male threaded sections that fit to the junction box to complete mine, if anyone has any spares.

I’ve got the generator apart now and it looks reasonably good inside. I broke the pulley wheel in the process which brassed me off, but I took some consolation in the fact that it had already been repaired in one place and it had damage in another place, which was where it broke. I will find a specialist welder and see if it can be repaired.

Now that I have the generator apart, the field coils and armature look to be in good shape. I have stripped it all out now and have already cleaned up the case and internal pieces. I will tidy up what I can and go as far as I can go with my limited expertise, before bundling everything together and taking it and the voltage regulator to the auto electrician to see if it is going to work.
Attached Thumbnails
20171123_163547.jpg   20171123_163740.jpg   20171127_175553.jpg   20171129_185643.jpg   20171203_114012.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
Old 04-12-17, 10:14
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

More photos.
Attached Thumbnails
20171203_114308.jpg   20171204_180214.jpg   20171204_115138.jpg   20171204_122306.jpg   20171204_124450.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
Old 09-12-17, 22:44

Hey Big D, looking forward (as I am sure you are) at pics of the body back from the sandblasters sporting a nice fresh coat of primer/paint and looking 300% better. Good lord man you have plowed a huge amount of time, effort and change into that vehicle, and it looks great. I applaud your work (and posts) and think this is one of a few really great threads on doing things right.
Old 10-12-17, 22:33
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi James P,

Yes, literally chomping at the bit! Thanks for the kind words. I hope to have some photos uploaded in the next few days.

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer