MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 25-04-08, 06:55
Proud Grandson of a Roo!

Default Tpr George Hemmings another Kangaroo at rest

I am very sad to announce to you the passing of another proud member of the 1CACR Tpr George Hemmings.

George was a good man that was very proud of the time that he had spent with the Kangaroo's. I was lucky enough to have spent some time with George and his lovely wife Margaret. They met in Holland when he was with the regiment and he brought her back to Canada with him after the war. They were married for 62 years. My thoughts are with her and her family.

George first phoned me after his daughter Frances saw my name on Geoff's 1CACR website, so thanks again Geoff. I got to speak with him about experiences that my Grandfather had also probably been through. It meant alot to be able to ask him questions that I was unable to ask my own Grandfather. I was to young to realize the signifigance of what he had been through.

I just wanted to pay final respect to him on MLU and share his tribute with you.

Source www.legacy.com:
Quote:
George Hemmings
HEMMINGS _ George William April 5, 1922 - April 16, 2008 George William Hemmings, beloved husband of Margaret of Calgary, passed away on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 at the age of 86 years. George was born in Nova Scotia. He served in WWII, in the Kangaroo Regiment, helping to liberate Holland, where he met his bride, Margaret. He worked most of his life with A.G.T. (TELUS). George loved gardening, his green house, rose shows, fishing, and his cabin in the Vernon area. Besides his loving wife Margaret of sixty-two years, George is survived by his daughters, Frances (Ben) and Margaret (Onsi); his grandchildren, David (Melissa), Lisa, and Jonathon (Amy); his great-grandson Colton; his sister Isabel and his brother Harold. Funeral Mass will be Celebrated at St. James Catholic Church (5504 - 20 Street S.W.) on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 at 11:00 a.m. Family Graveside Service will be held in the Field of Honour at the Queen's Park Cemetery. Forward condolences through www.mcinnisandholloway.com. In lieu of flowers, memorial tributes in George's honour may be made directly to the charity of the donor's choice.
Attached Images

Old 26-04-08, 00:31
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrat View Post
I just wanted to pay final respect to him on MLU and share his tribute with you.
Jason, thanks for the heads up!

George, thank you, and rust in vrede.

Hanno Spoelstra
Old 26-04-08, 02:39
Vets Dottir 2nd

Ah My sincerest condolences to his family and buddies, and all who will miss him...

Karmen.
Old 26-04-08, 06:46
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default Trooper Hemmings

May you rest in peace George.
(photo: 1945 & 2005)

Kangaroos also in memoriam:
Trooper Jake Dyck of Winnipeg (Nov 17, 2007)
Trooper Ken Watts of Delhi, Ontario (April 18, 2008)

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails
GH_1922-2008.jpg