MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 22-03-04, 23:29

Default some relatively easy CMP 15-cwt ?s for you...

generally, what is the diameter of a CMP wheel? were there more common wheels, and less common ones? i know in the 15-cwt section on MLU, it mentions something about specific tires...
just wondering if there was an average, or something.

what was the colour of the interior? floor, panels, roof...etc. any help in that would be great.

that cylinder in the front right before the door, what is that? ash tray?

sorry if these questions are easily answered, but i couldn't find anything yet.
thanks in advance
Old 23-03-04, 17:08
MLU Administrator

Default Re: some relatively easy CMP 15-cwt ?s for you...

Quote:
Originally posted by Von Cougar
generally, what is the diameter of a CMP wheel? were there more common wheels, and less common ones? i know in the 15-cwt section on MLU, it mentions something about specific tires...
just wondering if there was an average, or something.
See Ford CMP Specifications and Chev CMP Specifications.

Quote:
what was the colour of the interior? floor, panels, roof...etc. any help in that would be great.
Same as the exterior....

Quote:
that cylinder in the front right before the door, what is that? ash tray?
This ashtray? The radiator overflow tank!

Hope this helps,
Hanno
Old 08-04-04, 03:29

hey everyone,
Hanno, really sorry i didn't reply sooner, i've been swamped with school. but thanks for the answers, very helpful.

except i STILL don't get the size of the tires i don't get car stuff enough to understand those numbers.
as for the others, i get it!
so thank you.
Old 10-04-04, 05:18

Default Tire size...

Bonjour Von Cougar

Tire size was fairly simple...... on the CMP I believe that only two sizes of wheels existed..... the 16 inch rims.... usually with 900X16 tires... some of the smaller 15 cwt truck carrying a heavy load... such as radio trucks had 10:50 X 16 tires.

The larger 30 and 60 cwt trcuks had 20 inch wheels...again usually 900 X 20 tires... special applications had 10:50 X 20 tires.

In both cases the wheel rim is made of two pieces bolted together approx. 3/16 inch thick... I beleive that most wheels were made by Keyes....which still exists today.... they were stamped using a 1500 ton press..... some nut cracker....
Canada
Old 22-04-04, 15:10

hi again, all. thanks for the replies, i've got the tire thing straightened out.

now, next question:
all the scale models of CMP trucks i've found have wood-sided beds (clearly wood with the grain showing).
however, when i look at pictures of CMPs online, they don't seem to be made of wood like that.
are they just painted well to cover the grain, or are they made of something else?
i know for some countries like Germany and Russia during the war they had to switch materials on their vehicles. is this the case, or am i just dreaming?

thank you!
Old 22-04-04, 22:19
Film maker, CMP addict

Default wood or steel

The answer is although most bodies were steel there were also steel and wood composite bodies as well as canvas covered wood as in the Australian ambulances. The Aussie wireless on the C15 and C15A chassis was steel but caneite and plywood lined on the inside.
Generally, the early (1941 and earlier) long wheelbase trucks were more likely to have timber on the tray and even the spare wheel carrier construction.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 26-04-04, 14:53
MLU Administrator

Default 2H1 composite steel and wood cargo body

Quote:
all the scale models of CMP trucks i've found have wood-sided beds (clearly wood with the grain showing).
Von, I presume you are referring to the Peerless/Max - Airfix - Italeri - Bilek 15-cwt CMP kit? That 15-cwt is fitted with a 2H1 composite steel and wood cargo body - see Colin's CMP page and scroll down for a picture of all 15-cwt body types. I guess you could get rid of the wood grain to turn it into an all-steel cargo body.

Hope this helps,
Hanno
Old 29-04-04, 05:30

hey again, and thanks for those quick replies.
that sorts it all out for me. i think i knew that, but i did so much research a few months ago on different vehicles that a lot of the information blended in. but yup, that all makes sense. and thanks for the link to Colin's site, Hanno, that's what i was looking for.

yes, i'm talking about that Peerless model, as well as the Modelik paper model. its because i'm working on a 1/6 version of the truck (as in the 12" GIJoe figures, etc.)
i'm just about to start construction after quite a bit of research and modeling (the Peerless and the paper).
the differences that are required to transfer the truck to 1/6 aren't that noticeable from the outside (it's mainly the frame and everything at the bottom). there are many out there that understandably would complain about the differences, yet it's somewhat required for 1/6.

anyway, that's why i've been asking all these questions. so thank you for your answers, and for answering future questions, and i'll post my final product once i'm complete, or near complete.
Old 19-05-04, 19:42

CMP Wheel Size

Hi Von Cougar

Better late than sorry.

Bob Carriere's answer was somewhat inaccurate, partly even incorrect - and most certainly confusing!

Here are the main rules for you:

All 8 cwt's have 9.25x16 wheels
All 15 cwt's have 900x16 wheels
All 30 cwt's have 1050x16 wheels
All 60 cwt's have 1050x20 wheels
All FATs have 1050x20 wheels

Then there are allways the rare exceptions, of course.

John
Old 19-05-04, 22:03
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSchade
All 8 cwt's have 9.25x16 wheels
Hmm, somewhat inaccurate, I'd say
Indeed C8A's had 9.25-16 tyres, but C8's and F8's had 9.00-13 tyres...

Hanno
Old 20-05-04, 13:39
The Original CMP Site!

Default Tyre sizes

Go here. http://www.users.bigpond.com/ROD_DIERY/WHEELS.html

I have done lots of research into this subject.

Regards,
Rod
Old 20-05-04, 14:00
former Resident Historian

Default F8A?

And the rare, very rare F8A..sames as C8A? The prototype has Dunlop TRAK GRIP 9.25 x 16 tyres...see
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/chevytalk/F8A1.jpg

Still have no certain info that these were for India, built 1942.
Old 20-05-04, 19:24

Hi Von,
Having restored British WW2 composite bodied vehicles I can assure you about the only time you may see the wood grain on a military vehicle is if the wood had been exposed to the desert wind and sandblasted. The woodgrain effect on models, Like the grain applied to vynal siding, is bogus. Military vehicles were painted very well, and if moved to another theatre or the climate changed, repainted again and again. so any subtleties such as woodgrain dissapeared.
The wood chosen for coachbuilding back then, such as Norfolk pine, was old slow growth and generally very close-grained unlike the pine found today at your local supply, which is generally "farmed" and harvested within 20 to 30 years. All the wood I have seen used for coachbuilding on WW2 vehicles was dressed (machine planed/thicknessed) on four sides, so once painted it appears smooth.
Hope this is of some help.
Cheers,
Dave
Old 20-05-04, 21:04

very helpful indeed, dave, thank you!
that's actually a very hearty relief, as if i wanted to do a wood-laden CMP, i was worried about having to do the wood grain myself in scale, but the fact that it's smooth is excellent.

thank you for all of your help, everyone. my work on this project is coming along quite nicely.
Old 21-05-04, 19:43

CMP Wheel Size

Cheerio Hanno

Of course you're right, but I chose to regard the 9.00x13 as an exception. The F8 and C8 were in fact rather limited in numbers as well as operational role, and also I didn't want to be too specific, but tried to make a rather complicated thing a bit more simple - sorry, won't do it again!
Anyway - you're right, and I hate it

A true exception is this odd C-60L which sports 10.50x16 wheels. A rather rare version, to my knowledge. (Or is it really?) Note the cable rollers on the front bumper - this vehicle had a frame winch identical to the ones on the CGT (FAT). And don't get fooled by the unusually low body sides, they're cut down for easy access, i guess. (And yes Hanno - that's me standing in front of the truck!)
I leave it to our members to try and reveal the true identity of this vehicle. Chassis serial no. is 2844306027, but that's all I got.

Good luck

John
Old 22-05-04, 22:00
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSchade
A true exception is this odd C-60L which sports 10.50x16 wheels. A rather rare version, to my knowledge. (Or is it really?)
John, could it be this C60L was simply retrofitted with 16" wheels at some point in time during it's career as a farm truck?

Regards,
Hanno

P.S. you're a lucky guy to have such a truck to scratch you back on
Old 23-05-04, 03:47
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default 16" wheels on C60L

The 16" wheels won't fit on the large brake drums that are fitted on the 6" steering ends, so this truck must have the smaller drums with 4 7/8" steering. This means this truck either has had the front axle swapped over at some time, or it is like my F60L and described in the parts book as "as supplied to Indian Army". I don't think they were all part of the Indian Army's fleet, just that there is a specification for a lighter front end in some trucks. Even with the light front axle, though, they were still fitted with 10.50-20 wheels.
Old 23-05-04, 07:18

Quote:
very helpful indeed, dave, thank you!
that's actually a very hearty relief, as if i wanted to do a wood-laden CMP, i was worried about having to do the wood grain myself in scale, but the fact that it's smooth is excellent.

thank you for all of your help, everyone. my work on this project is coming along quite nicely.
here is a picture of a 12cab GS 1/35 scale I am doing at the moment. The rear body is flat plastic sheet grooved to look like planks but I have not added woodgrain as it would not be seen. The taigate hinges are home made from brass and do work. Still to add are all the nut and bolt heads.
Attached Thumbnails
cmp cab 12 gs 17 small copy.jpg