MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 20-06-15, 10:09
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default D/|\D marked tools

I went to a local garage sale today and bought a box full of tools for 5 bucks . In the mix of sockets and old spanners was a D/I\D marked open spanner branded ZIRCALLOY . This is my second ZIRCALLOY spanner with the DD markings .

Were these spanners issued with vehicles as sets in a canvas roll ? The spanners are SAE sizes .

Mike

BTW I found in a box at the sale, a Morris Commercial radiator cap in as new condition .
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 20-06-15, 16:55

Zircalloy was a post-WW2 brand name of the Lithgow Small Arms factory, according to their website:

Quote:
"Post WWII period

From 1945 production of the SMLE, Vickers and Bren guns ceased, and the following 2 years saw closure of all feeder factories. Workforce numbers at Lithgow had halved and the factory again entered a period of decline as it had post WW1. Once again the Factory was operating on 'nucleus' policy requiring that skilled workers and raw materials be kept at levels specified by the Government.

Between 1945 and 1950 military work at the factory consisted of reconditioning weapons, mainly SMLE's and Owen guns. Refurbishment programs were also carried out on Brens, Vickers, Brownings and Thompsons, Besa cannons and Hispano cannons. Commercial production once again began to overtake military work. As part of the New South Wales Government's re-equipping after World War II the Factory manufactured parts for locomotives (including the C38's) and rolling stock.

Other commercial production at this time included refrigerator and Sunbeam Mixmaster parts, Westrex film projector spares, handcuffs, Slazenger golf club heads and the old turn-handle pencil sharpeners. The Factory was both retailer and wholesaler of its own Zircaloy brand open-ended, ring and adjustable spanners. Pinnock sewing machines were entering production in 1950."
Wartime tools may or may not be marked with the DD symbol: there is quite a lot of correspondence about the time and effort to mark up tools, and whether this was necessary. Post war, tool and equipment purchases were routinely marked DD by the manufacturer - I remember stamping thousands of 1 pint oil pourer bodies and meat safes with the hand operated screw press, prior to final assembly, during the 1970s.

Mike
Old 21-06-15, 10:17
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default ok

Ok interesting Mike

So you are responsible for some of the DD markings - with a hand operated screw press, you must have developed a larger bicep on one arm . What became of the DD die / stamp that you used ? Did you have to return it to the Govt. ? I would imagine that copying such a stamp would be an illegal thing to do .

I had a feeling that the spanners I have are post WW2 . Now I know for sure .
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 07-07-15, 23:15

Apologies for the delay in responding .... the screw press had a counterweight ball so 'throwing' the arm into reverse took little effort, then hold the arm while positioning the next piece for stamping, and then let the weight of the ball screw the die down to stamp the oil pourer body. I suppose the die stamp is still on a shelf at CESCO: it was not the D^D but just the broad arrow mark that was specified. I've no idea of the legalities of it all. There was a specification as part of the contract and I think my father had a die maker make the stamp once the contract was won the first time (back in the 60s). It was applicable to several of the contract items the company made for Defence over the years: oil pourers, meat safes, square 'outboard motor' funnels (this last one having a set of drawings dating from the 1930s!) and so on.

Mike
Old 08-07-15, 07:21

Some NSW Govt departments used to brand items with the broad arrow device. I can think of tyres on NSW Govt Buses and tools belonging to NSW Govt Railways although the NSWGR was the most common mark.
Old 08-07-15, 10:11
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default And people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianaa View Post
Some NSW Govt departments used to brand items with the broad arrow device. I can think of tyres on NSW Govt Buses and tools belonging to NSW Govt Railways although the NSWGR was the most common mark.
I have a WW2 109 radio set with the NSWGR plate on it. I guess the railways used some of the sets for field communications post WW2 .

Not forgetting the poor souls transported out to various colonies with the broad arrow on their clothing .
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 08-07-15, 15:38

While trying to sort out some radio markings recently, I did run across a very informative website related to the British Broad Arrow history of usage. Seems it may have got it's start a few centuries back when it was first used on stone mile posts set up across England. At least as far as the British Broad Arrow is concerned, unauthorized copy of it on any goods is extremely illegal. Not sure about the markings used in other Commonwealth countries, however.

David
Old 08-07-15, 15:51

Default WD mark

I was up in Dunbar,Scotland last week I noticed a well cut block of sandstone cut into the harbnour wall..it had the WD and the large arrow Mark with PS 1 underneath cheers malcolm
Old 09-07-15, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
I have a WW2 109 radio set with the NSWGR plate on it. I guess the railways used some of the sets for field communications post WW2 .

Not forgetting the poor souls transported out to various colonies with the broad arrow on their clothing .
Good thing that they didn't use the broad arrow branding iron on the convicts!

It may be the case that the broad arrow tools in the railways etc were war surplus too.

Interesting, in a Land Rover workshop trailer I purchased some time ago there were a pile of pick heads that were left there when the trailer went to auction. Only about 1/3 were marked with the broad arrow and few if any of them had the "D^D". Many were very old and well used including ones with Metters written in script stamped into the casting. I would hazard a guess some were likely WWII or earlier.
Old 09-07-15, 11:39
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Metters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianaa View Post
g ones with Metters written in script stamped into the casting. I would hazard a guess some were likely WWII or earlier.
Metters made cast iron/enameled household gas stoves in large numbers .
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 09-07-15, 22:58

Metters - That brings back childhood memories of early TV personality Evie Hayes advertising their products with the slogan 'If it's Metters, it's modern'.
Sadly both Evie and Metters were consigned to history many years ago.

David